DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RANT against cruise ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a licensed drone pilot, professional photographer, and 5 years experienced as a cruise ship employee, I fully understand and support the cruise line drone ban. For every responsible drone operator, there will be at least 3 idiots that won’t use common sense. We used to talk about how often people would seemingly unhinge their brain on vacation, in particular on a cruise. Then combine unlimited drinking on board, recipe for disaster.

As to the comment about photographers on board vs. privacy from drone captures. Photographers on board don’t take your photo without your active participation.

It is totally for liability reasons, and for the safety of the passengers. I don’t know if there is any blow back to the cruise line from illegally flying in a destination port, but that could be a possibility to consider. While in port, the ship is completely under the local rule of law.
If the cruise line wants to limit your drone flying while onboard the ship so be it - it is their perogative - it's their ship. But it is not their perogative to keep you from taking the drone ashore when you disembark at a port.

Reactions: Jam0ne
As some of you may suspect, my wife and I are travel junkies, and have traveled the world in our lifetime (100 + countries). So I get a lot of travel brochures in the day's mail. Today's mail comes from Seabourne Cruise Line. It seems that they are doing adventure cruises all over the world and they really are good locations, although very expensive. I decided to dig down into the their website to see if drones were permitted and there it was, way down on the list of PROHIBITED items which will be seized on the gang plank and returned after you are definitely off the ship at the final dockage. On the probited list of guns, dynamite, big knives, etc. were DRONES. So here, amongst all of the most beautiful drone scenic places on the face of earth no drones are permitted.

I know, I know, all of you out there who are so protective...will give me all of the reasons for this But still, come on. We know when it is safe and when it not to fly above an iconic site for a birds eye view and the shot of a lifetime. It really burns me up, and of course, removes that cruise line from any consideration whatsoever of ever paying a dime to them for travel.
Rant over.

Dale
Miami
I'm with you 100%. It's a ridiculous policy, especially considering that drones are lumped in with firearms and explosives. Idiots. Just get a Mavic Mini and sneak it on. Fugem.

D

I’ve read both of your “rants” and conclude you come across as an entitled person who doesn’t understand why the rules should apply to you, because you’re a person of privilege. I’ve spent considerable time working in Africa and, frankly, your attitude reflects badly on all of us wazungu. When it comes to cruise ships, if you don’t like the rules, don’t go. These are first world problems.

Reactions: richandhiscat
I’m a Licensed drone pilot, professional photographer and an ex cruise ship employee for 5 years back in he 80’s to 90’s. The last thing I would want to see is a passenger left with the ability to decide a safe time/location on a ship to fly.
Agreed!

I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

Whether it be a cruise ship or an African safari....... they get to make their rules.

If you don't agree with the rules, don't patronize them.

Sounds simple enough to me!

Reactions: mobilehomer
I’ve read both of your “rants” and conclude you come across as an entitled person who doesn’t understand why the rules should apply to you, because you’re a person of privilege. I’ve spent considerable time working in Africa and, frankly, your attitude reflects badly on all of us wazungu. When it comes to cruise ships, if you don’t like the rules, don’t go. These are first world problems.
The issues is not a question of rules or even rules as they apply to one of privilege - whether one is privileged or not. The issue is the absolute absurdity of some rules designed and issued with complete ignorance by the party that issued them in the first place. Villages, Towns and Counties issue no fly rules when they have no regulatory authority over the air space. A perfect example was in Orchard Park in western NY state. They got creamed! And now even Carnival is changing their absurd drone policy most likely due to complaints, like those of Dale's, and they will now allow drones to be taken off the ship when at port.

Last edited:
Time to close the thread. Personal attacks are getting out of hand!

1671906518975.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242