DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ravenel Bridge Charleston SC

WWF

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am covering a cycling event that will be crossing the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston this coming Sunday. Several of the cyclists have asked for a group shot/footage via drone on the bridge. There are fairly large areas at the supports for the cyclists to gather. I could launch there but I'm wondering if it's even allowed. Does anyone have any advice?

Looking at the chart, it looks as though the bridge may be below the Class E airspace of the Mt. Pleasant regional airport, with a floor of 700' AGL. But do you have your 107 cert? Someone with more experience than me can surely offer a more valid opinion, but I would guess that taking an aerial photograph at the request of a group of people (whether they're paying you or not) would fall outside the realm of strictly 'recreational intent' for your flight.

Edit- Just looked at the bridge in B4UFLY and it is indeed Class G airspace. If you have your 107 ticket, you should be good to go (observing the rules for flight over people, etc.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and yes i have my 107 certification. I bought/insured the Mavic 3 Cine through the company I work for. It is a company event so in a way i'm being paid. Welcome any other comments from folks that have tried flying near that bridge or any other super long, high bridges. The last 5 years Ive ridden over the bridge on a bike for this mid-July event and it's either rainy, super windy or both.

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
Welp the weather on the last day of the event thwarted my plans for the big bridge shot. I did get some fun stuff on the first two days. Here's a few of the aerial clips that will be in the video. I'll post it when we're done!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078