DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RAW file is cropped and different to remote controller

Consider other raw converters, C1 (Capture One) will also crop by default. PLEASE NOTE, the exif of the camera is telling LR what to do as it's a mirrorless camera. LR is doing with DJI is telling it to do. Not vise versa.

Capture One will allow you to expand to the full size, and if you want a free one, consider Raw Therapee note the spelling. Both will allow you to over ride the built in crop.

Paul C

I am installing therpaee now and give it a try, though I feel a bit of reluctance to switch from LR. Is it possible to save the "uncropped" raw in therapee and then open it correctly in LR?

oh well, opening the raw file in therapee looks really bad. And it is still a bit cropped. Not as bad as in LR but clearly cropped. So I guess there is no workaround. No raw photography with mavic 2 pro or simply trying a lucky shot anytime and hope that it will fit later when you open the "surprise" raw pictures. What a disappointment.

oh well, opening the raw file in therapee looks really bad. And it is still a bit cropped. Not as bad as in LR but clearly cropped. So I guess there is no workaround. No raw photography with mavic 2 pro or simply trying a lucky shot anytime and hope that it will fit later when you open the "surprise" raw pictures. What a disappointment.
You can see the usable image are, how hard is it to allow some margin when shooting? This is common practice for most to allow for some slight cropping in post. Particular with raw files where you expect all will be subject to editing.

Shoot JPG or be prepared to do a little extra work for the promise of better quality images. Easy choice.

Capture One is a work around. Yes images load cropped but you can I use the crop tool to pull back margins to show full image.

Raw Terapee may not have loaded any color profile and you may have looked at default DNG color which is terrible. Capture One does the same thing. You need to pick a color profile for best results.

LR is loading the basic Adobe Color profile which is not bad but I prefer what I get from C1.

If you go down to the lens tool in LR you can select a different lens profile which may give you a bit more of the cropped image. Look at the various profiles LR lists and see if they help. The one for the older Phantoms may be better.

The lens by default has a huge amount of distortion. DJI corrects this on in camera jpgs but not on raws. If you aim up or down it’s very easy to see. Opening a raw in Raw Therapee will odds are show some horizon curvature unless your camera was dead level. You don’t see this in LR as it’s reading the built in lens corrections albeit at a loss of total image due to crop.

Paul C

@WithTheBirds: Doing some extra work is no problem, that's what we are doing every day by finding the right spot, the right angle, the right distance, light conditions, aperture, filters, exposure, post production.....the list is not even close to be exhausted.

But what's unacceptable, and I agree with the thread starter here, is that you see a picture only to know that this is significantly not the one you will shoot regarding the margins/dimensions. This is what can be referred to as a clear bug.

You can see the usable image are, how hard is it to allow some margin when shooting? This is common practice for most to allow for some slight cropping in post. Particular with raw files where you expect all will be subject to editing.

Shoot JPG or be prepared to do a little extra work for the promise of better quality images. Easy choice.

Agreed, it's certainly not a problem or 'bug' with the Mavic 2 Pro as I've seen it on many DSLRs as well and actually thought it's just normal to have pixels around the edge which are discarded. Regardless of the camera I always try to shoot a bit wider to give me leeway in post processing.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
@WithTheBirds: Doing some extra work is no problem, that's what we are doing every day by finding the right spot, the right angle, the right distance, light conditions, aperture, filters, exposure, post production.....the list is not even close to be exhausted.

But what's unacceptable, and I agree with the thread starter here, is that you see a picture only to know that this is significantly not the one you will shoot regarding the margins/dimensions. This is what can be referred to as a clear bug.
How would you evaluate the area of the frame that is cropped out? Do you have the opportunity to realise a better final image by shooting wider and cropping in post?

What you call a bug can arguably also be seen as DJI’s attempt to maximise every aspect of performance while meeting a comfortable price point.

Yes you could have what you want- to get it would you be prepared to pay significantly more for the drone? You would also have a less portable drone and or less flight time. There are always compromises.

You can focus on understanding the limitations and incorporating them in your workflow or make the investment in a higher spec drone/imaging system. I was initially surprised to find this limitation when I first say down to process images, the work around is trivial. The results can be amazing given the investment and overall performance.

Agreed, it's certainly not a problem or 'bug' with the Mavic 2 Pro as I've seen it on many DSLRs as well and actually thought it's just normal to have pixels around the edge which are discarded. Regardless of the camera I always try to shoot a bit wider to give me leeway in post processing.
My experience with SLR was getting more than you see in the viewfinder. An irritating feature of arguably less consequence however just as easy to get used to. The technical challenges to get a larger circle of coverage from a necessarily small lens assembly without significant distortion and light fall off provide that the limitation here should be expected. Pro lenses are large and heavy for a reason.

That is a Lightroom issue and has nothing to do with the DNG that the camera delivers.
Other software like Affinity or ACDSee let you view/edit your DNG uncropped.

Both LR and the DNG spec are from Adobe. It's not a LR issue, it's a DJI implementation of the DNG format. DJI writes the file and fills in the header information — LR simply reads it and does as it's told.

Chris

WithTheBirds: It’s funny how complicated you try to make it on purpose. It’s very simple: jpeg shooting, screen shows the dimensions of the photo you will import later. Raw shooting, screen shows something that is not close to the photo you will import later. You think that’s good and shouldn’t be criticized, the vast majority of other pilots surely don’t.
for jpeg+raw shootings you could argue which way the screen should go. However, it’s pretty obvious that the manufacturer should opt for the smaller screen as you will later only have to cut away additional information rather than losing it.

To make sure I’ve followed pages 1 and 4 correctly, is OP saying that the go app is showing ‘100%’ view and the raw file is only showing ‘95%’ (or whatever)

If so, that’s a stupid decision and/or software development result. You can’t justify it as anything other.

If it’s the reverse (like a dslr) then no issue.

No that’s not correct.

The exif corrected raw file in LR or ACR is showing the cropped image. This is what DJI wrote into the exif mirrorless spec. It’s this way with any mirrorless camera. You don’t have normal lens corrections like with a DSLR. Any mirrorless camera from any company will have the same issues.

DJI wrote the specs. They choose the crop. They also spent very little time with consideration for stills photography, this is just one example. They are much more video centric. They fixed it in the in camera jpg algorithms but same info is not carried over to the DNG raw. They would need to work with Adobe to fix this. Adobe pretty much never changes the built in lens info on mirrorless cameras.

If you want the full image use a different raw converter as previously mentioned that gives you more abilities. Note the image portion being cropped tends to be the worst part of the file both due to distortion and softness.

Paul C

Last edited:
Reactions: WithTheBirds
Paul, you haven’t answered my post. You gave lots of detail, but no context.

Is the raw image equal/greater in fov- when compared to the live view in go4- or less?

Paul, you haven’t answered my post. You gave lots of detail, but no context.

Is the raw image equal/greater in fov- when compared to the live view in go4- or less?
The proposed crop for the DNG excludes part of what is seen in the FPV stream.

As has been suggested it seems DJI has set the crop to exclude the extents of the image where limitations of the lens produce high levels of distortion.

It is understandable you might have issues with that decision. Not all will. My preference is a for the wider FOV in the downlink. It is a trivial task to allow for a little margin when framing shots.

Out of interest how many of your images aren’t subject to cropping in your post workflow?

On my actual camera, I’ll do my best to frame the shot via the viewfinder. Knowing that what I see is as least what I get, is good and necessary. So, a vast majority of my images aren’t cropped down further. Different people, techniques, subject matter and conditions can change this.

whether the sensor is a bazillion megapixels, or 3, I expect the live-view to be no better than the saved image.

Reactions: Djicase
I have a M2P with smart controller. Out of curiosity, I took two sample RAW pictures, one in 16:9 and the other in 3:2 format and compare each with the corresponding view on the remote control when the picture was taken . I cannot see any cropping :

16:9
16-9 RC view.jpg
DJI_0227 16-9 raw.jpg

3:2
3-2 RC view.jpg
DJI_0228 3-2 raw.jpg

Reactions: simonr23
I have a M2P with smart controller. Out of curiosity, I took two sample RAW pictures, one in 16:9 and the other in 3:2 format and compare each with the corresponding view on the remote control when the picture was taken . I cannot see any cropping :

That is because live view and the jpg are already corrected/cropped :)
I guees you didn't shoot DNG on this comparison?

See below. This is the same shot - the camera was set to deliver RAW+JPG.
Just an example of how ACDSee shows a DNG in its RAW Decode setting. Entirely untouched/uncorrected.
But you don't want the curved horizon and once this is corrected you end up with the JPGs framing ;-)

DNG.jpg

JPG.jpg

Last edited:
That is because live view and the jpg are already corrected/cropped :)
I guees you didn't shoot DNG on this comparison?

The samples provided by me are DNG converted by ACR to JPG just for the sake of posting here. The OP's complaint is that the raw file contains less view than the original composition. I just cannot see that.

If I open the raw files with ACDSee , I believe there will be more view ( plus some lens distortion ) in the raw file instead of less so the complaint doesn't stand also.

In case this is relevant, the firmware version of my M2P is 01.00.0400

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxHam
To make sure I’ve followed pages 1 and 4 correctly, is OP saying that the go app is showing ‘100%’ view and the raw file is only showing ‘95%’ (or whatever)

If so, that’s a stupid decision and/or software development result. You can’t justify it as anything other.

If it’s the reverse (like a dslr) then no issue.
To make it simple and pragmatic: the answer is yes, exactly. And I agree that this is a very bad decision by the manufacturer. Not the cropping as such, but showing the wrong picture on the preview screen.

To make it simple and pragmatic: the answer is yes, exactly. And I agree that this is a very bad decision by the manufacturer. Not the cropping as such, but showing the wrong picture on the preview screen.
What happens if your display device isn’t 3:2 aspect ratio?

Fair enough your not happy however there must be better things to grIzzle about...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078