DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

raw files in photoshop cs2, why are they not supported?

wastair

Reactions
hi guys, just downloaded myself a free version of photoshop (cs2) from adobe and i cant get it to open any of the .dng files i have taken with my mavic pro platinum. any ideas what i need to do to be able to edit these in photoshop? seems a bit daft to me that a professional photo editing programme wont open industry standard photo files :/

Photoshop CS2 was released just after the DNG spec (in May 2005 and September 2004 respectively), so while it might support .DNG files it probably doesn't support the latest version of the DNG format (currently on v10.1.0).

It might be worthwhile making sure you have the latest version of Adobe CameraRaw that supports CS2 though - AFAICT it shipped with v3.0, but supports up to v3.7 - Rob Galbraith's site has some download links via Adobe that still seem to work. That should improve support, but no idea whether it'll be enough to support whatever version of DNG that DJI uses.

Reactions: sar104 and AMann
Try using the DNG converter:

I don't think there is any way a 2018 DNG spec will work with CS2. CS2 is over 10 years old, and Adobe has made huge changes since CS2. Camera raw (the version you need) will most likely not work with CS2.

Adobe DNG converter should not help much as it's designed to take a raw file and convert it to a dng, your raw files from the DJI drones are DNGs.

You might look at a program like rawtherape. It's a freeware program (last time I checked) and it supports most raw files.

Paul C

I don't think there is any way a 2018 DNG spec will work with CS2. CS2 is over 10 years old, and Adobe has made huge changes since CS2. Camera raw (the version you need) will most likely not work with CS2.

Adobe DNG converter should not help much as it's designed to take a raw file and convert it to a dng, your raw files from the DJI drones are DNGs.

You might look at a program like rawtherape. It's a freeware program (last time I checked) and it supports most raw files.

Paul C
cheers, yeah i was wondering if this was the case, i already have a programme for basic editing of raws (darktable) was just hoping to get it all in one places.

Try this software. It's freeware, or at least used to be.

Unfortunately, also this is not working for me.
When I try to open I get the message: see picture.
And I have Adobe DNG converter, see the other picture, but that is not accepting the file.

Attachments

• Gimp exemp..jpg
    Gimp exemp..jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Adobe dng conv..jpg
    Adobe dng conv..jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 4
I would skip Adobe DNG converter. It’s designed to convert a raw file to a dng. Your raw files from any DJI drone are already DNGs. Adobe DNG converter can’t change anything in the DJI DNG that will allow CS2 to open it since CS2 can’t use the latest version of Adobe ACR.

Adobe DNG converter example. Would convert a Nikon NEF (raw) to DNG. Fuji RAF to DNG. etc.

You just have to find a raw converter that will see the exif data in the DJI DNG and open it.
Current Adobe ACR will do it or current Capture One both of these are not free. Rawtherape should but I have not checked. It’s free.

I don’t think any of the older versions of Photoshop will support the DJI DNG. CS2 CS3 CS4 etc. you will need Adobe CC 2015 at a minimum l. It’s planned obsolescence by Adobe especially since they moved to the Creative cloud model about 4 years ago.

Paul C

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev