DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC battery drain

Andart

Reactions
I'm using Samsung 7 and it shows its charging when connected to controller , now I'm watching the RC power drop before my eyes . Solution please

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

At the moment there is not one unfortunately, well apart from rooting your phone and using an app or addon to stop charging via USB. It has been requested that a switch be put it to stop the charging via the DJI Go app but I do not even think this is possible, based on the fact that the phone has to be rooted to stop it charging from outside the app.... :(

So basically I need to change to Apple. Because I have gone from 90 to 27 in about 30 min

The battery drain is all relative. You will drop the same percentage across both devices over the same time (depending on battery capacity of course). So when using an iPhone 6s I find the phone drains very quickly. I use both iOS and droid. If using droid I use the bottom USB port and connect a power brick to the side port which keeps the controller and phone topped off. With iOS the power brick will only charge the controller and not the phone though. There are trade offs with both unfortunately but at this point I find using droid with a power brick gives me the longest flight times. I have a Mini 4 but not been able to test the battery life whilst using that yet.

An old 5s here. Reasonable power drain on both. That is to say, three flights, each 12-18 minutes, phone from 80 to about 50, RC from 100 to something like 60. Not sure. I'll check it today if I fly.

My phone stays at nearly 100% so that is no worries but like I said the RC drops so quick it's unbelievable .
I have been told that an ios device is opposite and that the phone starts charging the RC so phone drops quick .
Now is there anything I can do in phone settings to help?
Or would a tablet be better than a phone?

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

iOS devices do not charge the Controller. It just drops quickly due to the app taking lots of resources.

Nothing you can do in phone settings, already mentioned that you need to root to be able to switch this off and even then it is not guaranteed to work unfortunately.

A tablet does have a bigger battery but then you are powering a larger screen etc. If you do not want to use a power brick then the best configuration will probably be to use a iPad Mini 4 but I have not been able to test mine yet with regards to battery life so cannot give any figures.

A custom USB cable with a resistor inline with the power supply may or may not work on some Android devices.

Surprising you'd have that much of a draw though usually what people see will get the controller to 30% after flying 3 batteries when the android device is charging.

Well, pretty much flew out two batteries. RC went from 100% to 89%. 5S, however, went from 95% to 25%, a big hit. Guess I can live with that... was in the air maybe 40 minutes or so.

I flew 3 batteries worth yesterday (1 hour 6 minutes total time) and the iPad mini 4 and the RC both went down a little less than 30% (both read in the low 70% range). Temp about 60 degrees F. Using Go 4.

Reactions: chippie
I flew 3 batteries worth yesterday (1 hour 6 minutes total time) and the iPad mini 4 and the RC both went down a little less than 30% (both read in the low 70% range). Temp about 60 degrees F. Using Go 4.
That's good to know. Not really flown with my Mini 4 yet but was hoping the battery drain would be good.

A custom USB cable with a resistor inline with the power supply may or may not work on some Android devices.

Surprising you'd have that much of a draw though usually what people see will get the controller to 30% after flying 3 batteries when the android device is charging.
I had wondered if this would help, or if 1 of the USB wires could be snipped to prevent the device from charging via the USB to the RC

I had wondered if this would help, or if 1 of the USB wires could be snipped to prevent the device from charging via the USB to the RC
ive wondered this too, i have some usb cables that will only charge they wont transmit data so i am sure they must work the other way too

Just cutting usually doesn't work becasue most phones use the power connection to detect a cable is connected and they need to open a data connection.

Really, a small 15$ 4Amp power bank is all you need to get your RC and (android) screen device through the day. Stick in your pocket and attach to the side USB port with a long cable. Your RC battery will start to drain only after the power bank is depleted. I usually start using the power tank when my RC reaches 30%, which keeps it at 30% for the rest of the day. I seldom need it actually. But it gives a peace of mind to know that you can always attach the power bank.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness