DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC & GPS Lost because of trees; but not overhead. Adjacent.

xml17

Reactions
So I was flying my Mavic Air 2 with solid RC and GPS till I flew 65ft high and 570ft away with pretty thick foliage separating me and the drone. All of the sudden, my RC and GPS were completely lost. I got no disconnect error message or anything. Now, I can understand losing RC connection that way, but wouldn’t the GPS still be able to connect because there was no foliage above the aircraft, just next to it. I didn’t have visual of the aircraft but from what I’ve read when GPS signal is lost the drone hovers and lands. Unfortunately, I was flying over water. So, I came to the conclusion that it landed in the water. But any explanation as to why GPS would be lost if nothing was over head of the drone?

I can understand losing RC connection that way, but wouldn’t the GPS still be able to connect because there was no foliage above the aircraft, just next to it.
The signal connection between the drone and controller can be blocked by obstacles in the signal path.
The drone should maintain GPS connection if it has a clear, unobstructed sky view.
from what I’ve read when GPS signal is lost the drone hovers and lands.
That's not quite correct.
Losing GPS does not cause the drone to land.
It would still be controllable, but not have horizontal position holding.
On losing signal, the drone would follow the Failsafe action selected in settings, but if there is no GPS, the drone couldn't RTH and would land.
Unfortunately, I was flying over water. So, I came to the conclusion that it landed in the water. But any explanation as to why GPS would be lost if nothing was over head of the drone?
Perhaps your flight data would help clear things up?

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: Yaros
Thank you for the response!

I will attempt to retrieve the flight log…

But, when I lost connection to the drone completely I waited for a few minutes to see if the drone would RTH fail safe and restore connection.. it did not return, nor did I see the drone ascend to its 300 something foot height to return home. Admittedly, not long after I lost connection entirely, I panicked and hit the RTH button on my controller. The controller was beeping, but no drone :/.

Thanks again for the response!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143