DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC keeps disconnecting

Geoffsh

Reactions
Hi all,

This is only a recent thing but once I connect everything up ready to fly I keep losing connection to the Mavic Pro from my RC. I don't appear to lose control but if I'm videoing it stops recording, really annoying now

Geoff

There are 2 different issues that people experience.
  1. When the Device (phone, tab, etc) disconnects from the controller
  2. When the controller disconnects from the drone
In #1 above, you can still control the drone, but your USB cable might have come out or gotten loose, or your app crashed. Check your cable, restart your app, and you should be good to go.

In #2 above thats a little more serious. It means that something interfered with the controllers signal and you no longer have control of the drone. The drone will default to RTH, and that will help most times, but if you are too far away, just hope you have enough battery to get back. If this ever happens to me, I come back and land ASP, becuae if you dont, the results can be catastrophic,

Reactions: WAXMAN and Thomas B
I've been experiencing a similar intermittent disconnect problem (Mavic Pro). It happens when the the drone is in flight or sitting ready for takeoff. The controller screen (smart phone) goes to black and white with a 'Disconnected' message and the other indicator is the forward obstacle sensor symbol goes red. Its often accompanied with a high pitched double beep which I believe is indicating a re-connection. Flight is not affected and the Disconnect is only a second or two. It doesn't seem to affect video recording. I've cleaned the Obstacle avoidance sensors, that didn't correct the problem. Looking for suggestions. I've refreshed the firmware in both the drone and controller. Still getting the Disconnect problem.

Hi all,

This is only a recent thing but once I connect everything up ready to fly I keep losing connection to the Mavic Pro from my RC. I don't appear to lose control but if I'm videoing it stops recording, really annoying now

Geoff
Are you using the standard DJI side-connection micro-USB cable to connect your phone/tablet to the RC Controller? If so, try disconnecting that cable completely off the controller, and use a short USB cable from the USB-A port in the base of the RC Controller. The plug on the other end will have to be compatible with whatever phone / tablet you have ...

IMG_20181124_095144.jpg I use a USB-A to USB-C type cable for my Android phone. This just seems to be so much more reliable than the short DJI supplied patch cables ...

Reactions: Geoffsh
Are you using the standard DJI side-connection micro-USB cable to connect your phone/tablet to the RC Controller? If so, try disconnecting that cable completely off the controller, and use a short USB cable from the USB-A port in the base of the RC Controller. The plug on the other end will have to be compatible with whatever phone / tablet you have ...

View attachment 70812 I use a USB-A to USB-C type cable for my Android phone. This just seems to be so much more reliable than the short DJI supplied patch cables ...
Thanks for the patch cable tip, I suspected it was the short DJI cable causing the problem. Tried a USB-A / USB-C cable and disconnect problem solved. Just in time for our trip to your part of the globe next week.

Thanks for the patch cable tip, I suspected it was the short DJI cable causing the problem. Tried a USB-A / USB-C cable and disconnect problem solved. Just in time for our trip to your part of the globe next week.
No problem @Phill B12 - enjoy your trip ... Just a couple of tips about that side port (& apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs!):
1) you won't get the connection from the USB-A port to work if you still have the short micro-USB DJI cable plugged into the side port!
2) be careful with the micro-USB cable you are using to charge the RC controller through the side port, as a micro-USB 'B' plug will damage the contact 'tongue' in the micro-USB 'A' socket if it's pushed in the wrong way round.

Reactions: Phill B12

View attachment 70812 I use a USB-A to USB-C type cable for my Android phone. This just seems to be so much more reliable than the short DJI supplied patch cables ...
Many thanks for the cable swap suggestion, it worked a treat. I suppose the short cable supplied gets some harsh treatment with the constant bending of the ribbon.

Thanks everyone, the problem seems to be sorted now after using the USB connection under the RC directly into my smart phone ?

No problem @Phill B12 - enjoy your trip ... Just a couple of tips about that side port (& apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs!):
1) you won't get the connection from the USB-A port to work if you still have the short micro-USB DJI cable plugged into the side port!
2) be careful with the micro-USB cable you are using to charge the RC controller through the side port, as a micro-USB 'B' plug will damage the contact 'tongue' in the micro-USB 'A' socket if it's pushed in the wrong way round.
Thanks for the tips, I'm relatively new to drone flight so any passed on knowledge/experience is always of use and much appreciated. If you ever need some tips about flying at minus 35 celsius I've some experience with that in various communities in the Canadian Arctic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green