DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC-N1 to tablet to...HDMI?

gcopter1

Reactions
On the RC-N1 controller, the connection at the top, the one that goes to your device of choice, be it an iPhone (lightning) or USB-C device (such as an Android) but, what if I wanted to add also to the mix, an HDMI output to goggles?
I've ask the question before elsewhere, and people have said to use a device like a "Miracast"?

I've looked at it, but, for the life of me, can't make heads or tails as to how this would work.

From what I've seen, a "Miracast" device, has two inputs; a USB-C charging port and an HDMI port, with a USB-C cable.

If I understand this correctly, the cable with a USB-C connector, coming of the RC-N1 controller, is to be plugged into the "Miracast" device USB-C power/input port.

Then you would take the "Miracast" USB-C cable and plug it to your tablet, then you're left with the remaining HDMI port on the "Miracast" to plug in your HDMI goggles.

Did I get it right?

Does anyone here operate such a contraption?

I believe that the USB-C end cable coming off the top of the RC-N1 cable, is for data, such as, what an app running on a mobile device would need.

As such, I just don't see how, I can split that signal to a "Miracast" device in order to be able to use goggles that need an HDMI signal as well.

I could readily solve my problem if my device of choice (tablet) also had an HDMI port, but unfortunately, my device of choice is a Tripltek table with a sole USB-C port.

On the RC-N1 controller, the connection at the top, the one that goes to your device of choice, be it an iPhone (lightning) or USB-C device (such as an Android) but, what if I wanted to add also to the mix, an HDMI output to goggles?
I've ask the question before elsewhere, and people have said to use a device like a "Miracast"?

I've looked at it, but, for the life of me, can't make heads or tails as to how this would work.

From what I've seen, a "Miracast" device, has two inputs; a USB-C charging port and an HDMI port, with a USB-C cable.

If I understand this correctly, the cable with a USB-C connector, coming of the RC-N1 controller, is to be plugged into the "Miracast" device USB-C power/input port.

Then you would take the "Miracast" USB-C cable and plug it to your tablet, then you're left with the remaining HDMI port on the "Miracast" to plug in your HDMI goggles.

Did I get it right?

Does anyone here operate such a contraption?

I believe that the USB-C end cable coming off the top of the RC-N1 cable, is for data, such as, what an app running on a mobile device would need.

As such, I just don't see how, I can split that signal to a "Miracast" device in order to be able to use goggles that need an HDMI signal as well.

I could readily solve my problem if my device of choice (tablet) also had an HDMI port, but unfortunately, my device of choice is a Tripltek table with a sole USB-C port.
The RC-N1 cannot support an HDMI out. Full stop. There’s no adapter in the world that will do that.

What people are suggesting is an alternative method to get video to your goggles using a device that can mirror the image on your phone/tablet running the DJI app. The miracast or similar device would plug directly into your goggle’s HDMI port and your phone/tablet would send video to it wirelessly via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

I’ve tried this solution in the past and it was far from what I would call a useable. It very well could be that the technology has progressed so that possibly it meets the threshold of “tolerable” but it’s never going to be as good as a wired connection which to be clear you can’t do unless you happen to have a tablet that has an HDMI out (extremely rare).

Reactions: gcopter1

Did I get it right?
No, as pointed out correctly above the controller doesn't have a video output so you'd need to connect a phone or tablet to your controller, send the signal wirelessly to the Miracast device and then connect the Miracast device to the goggles. The USB-C port on the Miracast device would need power so either a battery pack if out of the house or a usual USB power supply otherwise.

If you have a Chromecast or similar already (a number of TVs have this builtin as do Firesticks and others) it does full screen mirroring if you wanted to get an idea how it performs without spending any money,

Reactions: ksmusa
The problem with Miracast, there is a lot of latency and you will lose your drone in the trees in a matter of seconds. The best way for you is a tablet with an HDMI output like the Nvidia Shield they are old but still do the job. Connect the controller as with any tablet and then the goggles to the mini HDMI port. That is the best way I tried before I get the Smart controller.

Reactions: gcopter1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser