DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A pre-planned waypoint flight ends in a near loss of my Air3…But why?

Squidinc

I come from a land “down under”
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtu.be
Hi guys,
I need some assistance in locating my flight records for a waypoint mission that almost put my Air 3 into the ocean today! Could be my fault but I’d like to know? I’m using the RC2 controller with the Air 3.

I would greatly appreciate the steps involved in locating and uploading the data for the experts analysis. Here is a pic of how close I came to disaster! RTH saved me, but only just!
Cheers
IMG_1362.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
You have a lot of posts.

Is the info on this thread no help?
I wouldn't really know on your product. :) 👌

Rod ..

Reactions: Squidinc
You have a lot of posts.

Is the info on this thread no help?
I wouldn't really know on your product. :) 👌

Rod ..
Thanks Rod. Greatly appreciated. I’m also using a MacBook Pro.

I need some assistance in locating my flight records for a waypoint mission that almost put my Air 3 into the ocean today! Could be my fault but I’d like to know? I’m using the RC2 controller with the Air 3.

Thanks Rod. Greatly appreciated. I’m also using a MacBook Pro.
@RodPad Hopefully this is the correct file link to my flight in question? Would be very grateful if someone is able to advise what went wrong?

I had a waypoint altitude of 10 meters set as the Air 3 turned the corner. It suddenly started to drop? Then the breakwater became a barrier between the Air 3 & the RC2. Can’t see why it started to descend?

Here is a cut down video of how close it went to disaster…

Last edited:
The waypoint mission, as far as you let it execute, looked to be very much in the vertical plane... with a pretty steep ascent until approaching the second pier, then a rapid descent down behind the pier.

1713966693396.png

This reminds me of another case we had here on the forum back in February during similar circumstances. The main point there was this (page 41 in the user manual)...

1713966812549.png

Here you have 2 post from that incident that explains how the DJI waypoint mode differ from for instance a Litchi mission when it comes to heights & crossing through the programmed waypoint...

DJI Air 3 - Waypoint Mission Crash into sea

DJI Air 3 - Waypoint Mission Crash into sea

I really suspect that your mission also was designed in a way that made your incident possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavictk and RodPad
@slup Firstly thank you for your quick analysis. My hand is now raised (somewhat) as being at fault, in light of not being aware as I could have to the warning on page 41 which answers my initial question. I would however, add these remarks…

1. Planing a waypoint mission flight (particularly over water) offsite, comes with additional risk.

2. As the DJI app curves between waypoints, it doesn’t warn you how much lower it will take you between said waypoints. THIS IS THE DANGER ⚠️

3. Nice to plan at home, but can all turn pear shaped very quickly in practice. I would not recommend using it to be honest until DJI provide an update to warn you how low your drone will actually fly between waypoints vs what altitude you actually set your drone to fly! Here is what can happen in the meantime!

Cheers and thanks again for your & @RodPad help wth this.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavictk and RodPad
@slup Firstly thank you for your quick analysis. My hand is now raised (somewhat) as being at fault, in light of not being aware as I could have to the warning on page 41 which answers my initial question. I would however, add these remarks…

1. Planing a waypoint mission flight (particularly over water) offsite, comes with additional risk.

2. As the DJI app curves between waypoints, it doesn’t warn you how much lower it will take you between said waypoints. THIS IS THE DANGER ⚠️

3. Nice to plan at home, but can all turn pear shaped very quickly in practice. I would not recommend using it to be honest until DJI provide an update to warn you how low your drone will actually fly between waypoints vs what altitude you actually set your drone to fly! Here is what can happen in the meantime!

Cheers and thanks again for your & @RodPad help wth this.
It was my drone crash post that @slup linked to above. I had the same issue with waypoints, but unfortunately, my Air 3 ended up in the sea ☹️ Great last minute recovery in your flight!!

As part of the support case, I gave DJI the following suggestions:

1714381929283.png
You also mentioned having DJI provide an update to how low the drone will fly between waypoints - hopefully, the support people actually suggested this to product engineering.

Reactions: Squidinc
Hi @JNB @RodPad @slup

I had read your full post, and thought it was so unfair that you lost your Air 3. It was a miracle I saved mine. I recall frantically hitting the left stick to gain altitude not realising initially it was having zero effect because it was a waypoint flight. Instinct I guess. Then in a state of panic I hit the hover / RTH left button on the RC2 with as it shows only a centimetre off going under or smashing into the rocks.

Your waypoint analyser is great idea. Maybe they could couple it with my idea of real time planning alerts. Before and during flight planning is the key. Not when it’s too late!
Hopefully someone in the tech sector of DJI can write a “program fix” ??? But I wouldn’t hold your breath.
Cheers

Reactions: RodPad and JNB
@Squidinc

I did the same thing as you - instinctively hit the left stick to gain altitude, but didn't know that it wouldn't do anything as it was a waypoint flight! I only had a split second, so by the time I thought about hitting the button, it was too late.

@Squidinc

I did the same thing as you - instinctively hit the left stick to gain altitude, but didn't know that it wouldn't do anything as it was a waypoint flight! I only had a split second, so by the time I thought about hitting the button, it was too late.

@Squidinc

@JNB Yep… DJI should replace your Air 3 considering you didn’t accidentally put it in the ocean! But page 41 of the manual gets them off the hook.

I had DJI Care Refresh, but as I couldn't recover the drone, I had to pay the Flyaway Fee rather than the Replacement Fee. Better than the cost of a new drone though LOL

Reactions: RodPad and Squidinc

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones