DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Re-calibrate IMU" when in the wilderness with no flat surface available. Could not fly Mini. Suggestions?

Underwaterguy

Reactions
I was flying from my kayak on a pond and got the message early in the day, but somehow it went away. Later, I got it again and was grounded for the day. Even if I'd gone ashore in the remote woods, I couldn't have found a truly flat surface. Any hacks on how to re-calibrate and get flying again next time?

I was flying from my kayak on a pond and got the message early in the day, but somehow it went away. Later, I got it again and was grounded for the day. Even if I'd gone ashore in the remote woods, I couldn't have found a truly flat surface. Any hacks on how to re-calibrate and get flying again next time?
Why were you getting the message?
Recalibrating the IMU isn't something you should have to do much at all (if ever).

I was surprised to get the messsage. I'd calibrated a couple of weeks ago and handle the drone carefully.
Why are you recalibrating the IMU?
Once it's properly calibrated (it usually is when you get it), it shouldn't need to be done unless the drone gets banged around.
Are you getting it from an unstable kayak for a launch spot?
If so, you should just try again from solid ground somewhere and it should be fine.

I couldn't have found a truly flat surface.

There is no need for a truely flat surface. Just the other data I launched my M2P from the top surface of a rock which is tilted by at something like 10 ~ 15 degrees and there was no issues. When you do hand launching, there is no way to guarantee that the craft is absolutely level but I have not heard of any problems because of that.

Last edited:
I had the same issue on a mountain summit, IMU warning . . . After one failed attempt I got it working on the next try. MAN WAS I NERVOUS ABOuT THAT! It was a big Mountain and the shoot did up coming out EPIC! Please check it out!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would follow DJI's instructions or not fly. The flight controller uses the inertial measurements integrate with the altimeter, compass, sensors, and GPS. If one of those systems has a bad reference, the results are catastrophic. The frequent compass crashes are all a result of this. The conflict between a bad compass setting and the other situations cannot be resolved and the result is a "fly away" or spiral crash, depending on how much measurement mismatch exists.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mth0d