DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RE Goggles & Smart Controller using HDMI

Mav45

Reactions
New B here, want to purchase the RE Goggles, but heard of all the range issues. Was wondering if connecting
the Goggles using the HDMI on the smart controller instead of the AC would eliminate the range issues. I know I
would loose some function. any thoughts. At least till we get a fix.

New B here, want to purchase the RE Goggles, but heard of all the range issues. Was wondering if connecting
the Goggles using the HDMI on the smart controller instead of the AC would eliminate the range issues. I know I
would loose some function. any thoughts. At least till we get a fix.
Hello,
Im replying because Ive been wondering the same thing, with the Smart Ctrlr or the Crystalsky... Im one of the many that are facing these range issues with the RE and Mavic 2.

All I can add is that the Mavic 2 range problems completely disappear, the very instant I power off my Goggles RE. Also, when I use my Goggles via HDMI (on my Xbox, etc) it seems to enter a different mode, so those two bits of info combined gives me the assumption that it would work just fine?

Please let us know how it goes, if you go thru with it... I love the Goggles picture and HDMI, so even if you have to go the "wired" route, as opposed to Ocusync 2 "wireless" then its still better than other FPV methods, however, I dont like the idea of purchasing anything further from a company that completely ignores such a widespread problem.

One last note: while I like the look of the Goggles RE better than the white Goggles, I have read that the white goggles work pretty well with the Mavic2, albeit, within their own limitations, ie: 2.4ghz only and range max 4km, I believe... So if the look doesnt bother you AND you dont have any DIY Quad racers than will use the 5.8ghz analog capability of the RE, then maybe go that route, especially since theyre cheaper. Just a thought!

Good luck mate

PS: DJI fix your broken product line and stop ignoring your customers (sorry for the hijack;)

I hear you about the standard goggles. That might be the route I'll take. Hopefully they can have a fix sooner than later. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully somebody with both can confirm it works without the range issues. I already have the SC

Last edited:
I hear you about the standard goggles. That might be the route I'll take. Hopefully they can have a fix sooner than later. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully somebody with both can confirm it works without the range issues. I already have the SC
Yes please, someone that has the Smart RC & a set of the DJI Goggles RE, please test HDMI functionality and see if it alleviates the RE/Mav2 range limiting issues! Thx

I was out testing the Goggles RE connected to my Mavic 2 Pro with the HDMI cable today. What I found is that the display still has lost frames and the range isn't a whole lot better. However, I think the problem is that the aircraft and goggles were still linked in the background. That view came up when I booted up, but I exited out of it and connected through HDMI. I won't be able to do another test with an unlinked aircraft until next week.

I was out testing the Goggles RE connected to my Mavic 2 Pro with the HDMI cable today. What I found is that the display still has lost frames and the range isn't a whole lot better. However, I think the problem is that the aircraft and goggles were still linked in the background. That view came up when I booted up, but I exited out of it and connected through HDMI. I won't be able to do another test with an unlinked aircraft until next week.
Thank you for that test info. Its not what I expected but thats why we test right!

Are you planning on unlinking the Goggles before your next test to see if that helps remove the Goggles subsystem from the loop, when your plugged in via HDMI?

Thx again

Thank you for that test info. Its not what I expected but thats why we test right!

Are you planning on unlinking the Goggles before your next test to see if that helps remove the Goggles subsystem from the loop, when your plugged in via HDMI?

Thx again
Absolutely. I will make sure it is unlinked and run the test again. I expect this to solve the problem.

What's the process to "un-link the goggles (OG or RE)" or original remote controller for that matter?

Like if we want to ensure all previously linked devices are un-linked and then re-link them one by one, what's the process? Thanks in advance.

To all who sounded the alarm about the RE Goggles short range -- Thank you!

Based on what I read here and elsewhere, I decided not to take the risk that the RE Goggles would keep turning their radio on without my permission and mess things up. Instead, I got myself a pair of Goovis 1080p goggles, which I'm connecting to the Smart Controller's HDMI out. That way of course I don't have head tracking.

I just finished a wonderful evening loop across a local lake and village with 3.5 km top distance. Video didn't even jitter. Perfectly stable and high res the whole way, looking like it could go much further. I can hold the controller high up and walk around to dodge trees to get better radio. It's like being in my own small cinema that flies. Definitely recommend this setup for anyone looking at Goggles.

To all who sounded the alarm about the RE Goggles short range -- Thank you!

Based on what I read here and elsewhere, I decided not to take the risk that the RE Goggles would keep turning their radio on without my permission and mess things up. Instead, I got myself a pair of Goovis 1080p goggles, which I'm connecting to the Smart Controller's HDMI out. That way of course I don't have head tracking.

I just finished a wonderful evening loop across a local lake and village with 3.5 km top distance. Video didn't even jitter. Perfectly stable and high res the whole way, looking like it could go much further. I can hold the controller high up and walk around to dodge trees to get better radio. It's like being in my own small cinema that flies. Definitely recommend this setup for anyone looking at Goggles.
Which Goovis model did you use ? G1, G2 or Pro ?

What's the process to "un-link the goggles (OG or RE)" or original remote controller for that matter?

Like if we want to ensure all previously linked devices are un-linked and then re-link them one by one, what's the process? Thanks in advance.

Any help here? What is the process to un-link DJI Googles that we’re previously linked to the Mavic2 along with Smart Controller. There are plenty of videos demonstrating how to link the two.

I have the Smart Controller and want to test my Goggles RE via HDMI link and not fool with reported range issues caused by the Goggles RE issues.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Any help here? What is the process to un-link DJI Googles that we’re previously linked to the Mavic2 along with Smart Controller. There are plenty of videos demonstrating how to link the two.

I have the Smart Controller and want to test my Goggles RE via HDMI link and not fool with reported range issues caused by the Goggles RE issues.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Shoot bud, Im pretty late to offer help but I can offer a few updated bits of info, which might remove your need to do the test, if you havent already?

1) I have the Goggles RE, a SRC and M2Z.
I still use my RE's linked (not HDMI). With all the most recent FW (AC .510, SRC system .530 w/ GO4 manually updated to 4.3.25 via apk install from DJI, and the RE on their 1yr old FW of .0700... As of today 12/7/19) my range with the RE's linked is substantially better (AS LONG AS THE PAGODA ANT IS INSTALLED) at 1mi normal, stretching 2mi, in residential (wifi intesive) area's.

2) I have tested the HDMI from SRC to RE's and as long as the M2 is not linked to RE's (see #3 below to unlink) it works just as it should (a mirror image of SRC screen, which means, as another poster mentioned, that head tracking, etc, wont be active).

3) If you want to go the HDMI route to the RE's from the SRC, then you need to UNLINK the M2 following the very same method for linking, only difference is, you need to select either of the other AC, beside the M2 (actually, you probably could choose M2 really?).

Once your Goggles start the 60 sec countdown, waiting for an AC to link, at that point, its unlinked from your M2...
After a power cycle & verifying no wireless link, then connect HDMI.

IF that, for some reason, doesnt unlink them, then find your Standard RC and link it as a Secondary RC (must have Android GO4 4.3.16+ I believe for this feature, IOS Im not sure).
Once you have both your SRC (main) and your Standard RC (secondary) linked to M2, the RE's are automatically unlinked, as the RE's link has been replaced by the Standard RC, as secondary control (being the slave, in the master/slave control relashionship... Sound like bondage eh).

Hope this helps anyone that comes along wondering about these issues! Sorry for the length AGAIN ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: m2zAL
Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute