DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RE: LONG VIDEOS. Not to beat a dead horse....but

Dale
Do the stats tell you where in the world the viewers are from ?

Excellent video, I guess people have a short attention span. I used to make long videos of my paragliding flights, along with videos using my Mavic Pro, it seemed no one would watch them if they were over 2 minutes long.

A video, no matter how good, will not be watched past one minute! I do lots of videos for very large ranches and vacant lands! The higher end clientS clients know this and will often reject anything over a minute and a half!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I think there's something to be said for a video that is of high quality and made with so much care and craftsmanship regardless of its view numbers. Dale, you're videos are always really well done and it's obvious they're made with great care. That's a success by itself, aside from the view count.

The casual viewer probably runs across your carefully crafted video using some app on their 6" phone and they watch a few seconds while they're standing in line at the grocery store. They probably don't even give it their full attention. But really, they're not the target audience. A carefully created, high quality video is made for a smaller audience of people who will actually appreciate it and watch the full 4 minutes of it. If you pick up partial views from the phone viewers, that could be seen as a bonus, but it doesn't take away the enjoyment from those of us who will put it on our UHD TVs and watch it as you meant for it to be seen.

Maybe there's a parallel in the cinema world. Films that win awards are rarely the same ones that break box office records. And that's okay. Producers of cinematic drone videos and award winning films can be happy with their films even if there's not huge mass market appeal.

I guess what I'm rambling about is, make what you love because you love it. Chances are, others will love it too even if you never get millions of views. And thanks for sharing!

Too many people have the attention span of a gnat. To deal with that, modern videos jump around with scenes cut to less than a second in length designed to drive everyone into epileptic fits.

I recognize not everyone is interested in watching the many videos I've posted on my Youtube channel. That doesn't bother me. But quite a few of those videos have special meaning to me, or I'm especially pleased with how some of them turned out. And yet the stats indicate that less than 30% of the viewers bother to watch to the end of even those. Different tastes I guess.

My brother is a professional photographer and filmmaker. He asked if I could do some drone shots for him of his car. We booked off an entire day to spend together. "We fly at dawn!"

Instead he spent more than an hour during sunrise filming different angles of the frost sparkling on the hood of his car. Then we fiddled for more hours sticking suction cup camera mounts to hang his expensive cameras at various locations outside of the car. Then some onboard interior shots. And exterior shots with the camera on a tripod at roadside, during which I was actually allowed to drive his car for the first time ever. Then finally three batteries worth of flying time with my Phantom, during which I narrowly missed flying into a hydro pole and dropped my iPad Mini cracking its screen.

After all of that, an entire day spent starting from well before sunrise and finishing well after sunset, he whittled all those many hours of video footage down to just a one-minute long final product. A news site in Germany asked if they could post it on their website. It received over 3 million views on their site within a couple of weeks.

The moral of this overly loooong story is, short actually is better. ;)

Dale D
Enjoyed your video- will use it for my Seeing Meditation.

Thanks

Here is the video I just mentioned- hope you enjoy it. Comments always welcomed. Be sure to go to full screen and sound on.

I have made commercially profitable videos of between 4 & 62 minutes. Here is why I think yours are not being watched:
  • What is the story?
  • The beginning 2 & 3 second long clips are irritating to say the least. If they are establishing shots, at least double them in length.
  • The title did not introduce your story, (if there was one).
  • The disappearing title was amateurish; practice somewhere else.
  • What was the purpose of drone shots; your Nikon is a far superior lens.
  • I was totally confused by the mid day, palm trees and Aspen? forest.
  • I like your closing credits. They were clear, succinct and informative.

Time the length of establishing shots in Ad's and Features. They are gone before you can say..hey thats a drone shot. That would be how long a professional knows a shot will work.

I think there's something to be said for a video that is of high quality and made with so much care and craftsmanship regardless of its view numbers. Dale, you're videos are always really well done and it's obvious they're made with great care. That's a success by itself, aside from the view count.

The casual viewer probably runs across your carefully crafted video using some app on their 6" phone and they watch a few seconds while they're standing in line at the grocery store. They probably don't even give it their full attention. But really, they're not the target audience. A carefully created, high quality video is made for a smaller audience of people who will actually appreciate it and watch the full 4 minutes of it. If you pick up partial views from the phone viewers, that could be seen as a bonus, but it doesn't take away the enjoyment from those of us who will put it on our UHD TVs and watch it as you meant for it to be seen.

Maybe there's a parallel in the cinema world. Films that win awards are rarely the same ones that break box office records. And that's okay. Producers of cinematic drone videos and award winning films can be happy with their films even if there's not huge mass market appeal.

I guess what I'm rambling about is, make what you love because you love it. Chances are, others will love it too even if you never get millions of views. And thanks for sharing!
Dear "I Should Be Working,"

I really appreciated your thoughtful comments. I can see that you really "get it." My videos today are an evolution of a lifetime of photography starting in my 20's and now I am 81. How did that happen so fast? When I started photography, I did slide show travelogues with physical slides. Remember those? I evolved from one carousel to three carousels on three projector stands and three screens!!! Still I could not get people to watch my marvelously produced works. (funny). Then computers did not exist. I evolved from slides and film to digital cameras and computers. My next evolution was to DVD slide shows and an old product called Pro Show Producer which was the pre-runner of Adobe Premiere, but for slide shows. It allowed me to produce a slide show with music, transitions, and music and publish over the web, and burned to DVD's. I would send DVD's to friends and people I met during my travels. Fast forward to my acquisition to a drone! Now I really had to learn video editing too. Eventually I learns Adobe Premiere and After Effects and video became my new medium. I am still learning and always have loved it.

I do understand today's smart phone generation's wish for speed and quick views, and always attempt to shorten my stuff. No more 30 minute travelogues. I could go on but you understand.

Dear "I Should Be Working,"

I really appreciated your thoughtful comments. I can see that you really "get it." My videos today are an evolution of a lifetime of photography starting in my 20's and now I am 81. How did that happen so fast? When I started photography, I did slide show travelogues with physical slides. Remember those? I evolved from one carousel to three carousels on three projector stands and three screens!!! Still I could not get people to watch my marvelously produced works. (funny). Then computers did not exist. I evolved from slides and film to digital cameras and computers. My next evolution was to DVD slide shows and an old product called Pro Show Producer which was the pre-runner of Adobe Premiere, but for slide shows. It allowed me to produce a slide show with music, transitions, and music and publish over the web, and burned to DVD's. I would send DVD's to friends and people I met during my travels. Fast forward to my acquisition to a drone! Now I really had to learn video editing too. Eventually I learns Adobe Premiere and After Effects and video became my new medium. I am still learning and always have loved it.

I do understand today's smart phone generation's wish for speed and quick views, and always attempt to shorten my stuff. No more 30 minute travelogues. I could go on but you understand.

I totally agree. What I'm beginning to find is that different people make different styles of videos because it comes from their experiences and it's who they are. Some people make videos with 2 second clips smash cut together and set to pulse pounding EDM and that's their thing. Others of us like to linger on a single shot of a sunset that lasts 20 seconds or more all by itself. And neither kind of person is wrong. It's our own individual styles that make what we create unique. I say keep on creating what makes you happy! But I'll also say that I'm glad we've moved past the days of slide projectors. ? Keep on flying and sharing what you create!

Too many people have the attention span of a gnat. To deal with that, modern videos jump around with scenes cut to less than a second in length designed to drive everyone into epileptic fits.

I recognize not everyone is interested in watching the many videos I've posted on my Youtube channel. That doesn't bother me. But quite a few of those videos have special meaning to me, or I'm especially pleased with how some of them turned out. And yet the stats indicate that less than 30% of the viewers bother to watch to the end of even those. Different tastes I guess.

My brother is a professional photographer and filmmaker. He asked if I could do some drone shots for him of his car. We booked off an entire day to spend together. "We fly at dawn!"

Instead he spent more than an hour during sunrise filming different angles of the frost sparkling on the hood of his car. Then we fiddled for more hours sticking suction cup camera mounts to hang his expensive cameras at various locations outside of the car. Then some onboard interior shots. And exterior shots with the camera on a tripod at roadside, during which I was actually allowed to drive his car for the first time ever. Then finally three batteries worth of flying time with my Phantom, during which I narrowly missed flying into a hydro pole and dropped my iPad Mini cracking its screen.

After all of that, an entire day spent starting from well before sunrise and finishing well after sunset, he whittled all those many hours of video footage down to just a one-minute long final product. A news site in Germany asked if they could post it on their website. It received over 3 million views on their site within a couple of weeks.

The moral of this overly loooong story is, short actually is better. ;)

Amazing footage but I have to laugh! I had two Porsche 911's over 20 years. My wife called it "Male Menopause." I got over it and now drive a sedate old fart Mercedes Sedan.

Reactions: Zbip57
Interesting video, I did find the credits interesting , where you used more then Drone footage..

Its possible too that some people do not watch to the end for technical reasons, For whatever reason, I have a fast computer, and a speedy internet connection, but the video paused a couple times for me. One pause was several seconds or more, and if that happens to others, I can see them dropping out. I switched to 4K and had to revert to Auto to get the clip to complete.. seemed odd. Course you have no way of controlling that, unless the video was shorter maybe.

Interesting video, I did find the credits interesting , where you used more then Drone footage..

Its possible too that some people do not watch to the end for technical reasons, For whatever reason, I have a fast computer, and a speedy internet connection, but the video paused a couple times for me. One pause was several seconds or more, and if that happens to others, I can see them dropping out. I switched to 4K and had to revert to Auto to get the clip to complete.. seemed odd. Course you have no way of controlling that, unless the video was shorter maybe.
Sorry you experienced that.I have played it many times without a stoppage. My iMAC is super fast. I paid top $ since I knew I was going to need it for video editing. So far I have not had to go to PROXY editing. I did produce in 4K, but when I get that spinning blue circle I think it is a poor internet signal from my internet provide Comcast. You could watch by going to downgrade 4K to 1080p with the gear icon.

With respect to using more than cdrones- when I go out for a shoot, I try to use all of my toys for footage. I am now up to 5 sources of video on a typical shoot
1)Drone video
2) Osmo Action (like a Go Pro) video on a mini tripod
3) Osmo Pocket video- good for timelapse
4)Nikon DSLR for timelapse
5)iPhone 11 Pro X for 4K video on a mini Manfrotto tripod

I use all of these sources to give me enough material for assets before starting to produce the film.

In this forum, I have commented often about long and boring videos, long duration clips, and aimless wanderings of the drone with no plan in mind. Today I got my weekly Vimeo analysis, and it confirms again the following. Viewers simply do not want to watch videos very long and have a very short attention span. Attached are my results which show that my new 4 minute video (which involved 5 pre-dawn sessions to film a sunrise (about 10 hours of work and travel) , and a full week-end processing the video(about 12 hours) was viewed as follows;

30 views, average time watched 1:53 minutes (out of 4 minutes), and 8 finishes of this 4 minute video which took me 22 hours to make. I received no likes, and no comments.

I would like to modestly say that I thought I did a fairly nice job on the video. I am tempted to attach the video again but I won't unless requested. Just saying....
Dale, I became interested in drones upon viewing, nigh on 6 years ago, scenic video of Misool Eco Resort in Indonesia for an upcoming dive trip to the region. Spotting some aerial shots, in what were some long videos, I followed up to research how they were taken. The answer? A DJI Phantom! As you know, I thought that would add to underwater footage I took, but do you know what? Despite 213,837 views, that one hour plus video only achieved 1,275 likes and 76 dislikes! I reckon Harry Juselius put a lot of time, trouble and effort into that project and yet 76 bums took the trouble to dislike it! Go figure. I guess you've discovered there are many "I want it and I want it now", channel surfers suffering from ADD, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Suffice to say I enjoyed your clip. Keep up the good work.

Hi Dale,watched the video to the end and loved it ,maybe the only issue i have to much water, but then i"m a newcomer

Nicely edited, but way too long! In over 30 years of editing I have developed some "rules of thumb" that I follow. Generally I limit scenes to between 3 seconds minimum and 7 seconds in length, maximum, anything longer (unless it is an extremely interesting scene) will not retain peoples attention. Several of your scenes were well above that and some were then followed by a still of the same or very similar scene. No. It's hard to discard or limit footage which is good and of significance to you, but it must be done. That is the art of editing.

Dale, I became interested in drones upon viewing, nigh on 6 years ago, scenic video of Misool Eco Resort in Indonesia for an upcoming dive trip to the region. Spotting some aerial shots, in what were some long videos, I followed up to research how they were taken. The answer? A DJI Phantom! As you know, I thought that would add to underwater footage I took, but do you know what? Despite 213,837 views, that one hour plus video only achieved 1,275 likes and 76 dislikes! I reckon Harry Juselius put a lot of time, trouble and effort into that project and yet 76 bums took the trouble to dislike it! Go figure. I guess you've discovered there are many "I want it and I want it now", channel surfers suffering from ADD, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Suffice to say I enjoyed your clip. Keep up the good work.
Dear Scubadiver1944:
Thanks so much for your comments. Of course, you are right on! I am glad to report that I do not lose sleep unless I know I have to get up before dawn for another try at the sunrise because I goofed something up yesterday morning before dawn. It is a hobby, but it is also a passion and we all love it and want to share it. I am a simple person, not wanting huge numbers of hits, likes, etc. I target where I post these videos, and this forum is only one of my sites. Mostly, I have accumulated a photography list of about 70 friends and people whom I have met in my travels and I promised to send them my photography and they all really enjoy getting it. I also post to the LRTimelapse Forum showroom because these people are really expert and appreciate seeing the works of others. This Mavic Pilots Forum is sort of a mix of aficionados, and tyros, e.g.: rank beginners who are just starting out learning their drone, or Photoshop, or video editing. I take the good with the bad.

My whole reason d'être (reason to be) for this thread is to stress to these newcomers to make their films short, succinct, and as excellent in quality as possible. We are all here on this forum to help each other and I'll continue to try to do my part.

Please don't take me wrong, you did a great job and certainly better than anything I have produced. We here is the US certainly have an attention deficit I concede. Maybe a quick timelaps would be a good way to get to the action faster, or even speed the anticipation time of the sunrise up to 1000% and then slow it down when the some comes up over the horizon. If I have a particular interest in something I will take the time to watch all the details, even slow it down or watch it over again to see it all but if I'm just browsing through videos I need something to keep my attention. You should see me flip through still photography, if it isn't an eye catcher I'm off of it within a split second to the tune of 5 or 10 per second.

Take an example of a 30 second US Super Bowl commercial, the highest paid time for advertising. These commercials cost multi-millions for even 30 seconds. They put a lot of work into each one of them and cram so much stuff into 30 seconds it's amazing. Think of what that is like to edit, if it's not totally fantastic it gets cut and only the best of the best makes it to final footage. I had a video class at the local college that made us create different length projects from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, when you are given a hard deadline you learn to make it fit. That was a great exercise and I did learn how to get right to the content and let go of a lot of stuff not needed for the task.

Last edited:
I find most scenic videos w/o a well done narrative kind of boring and video music is usually subjective. I can't produce half as good of a video as you posted and can't pick it apart due to my lack of knowledge in the area but I know what grabs my attention and good still photography is preferable to my likes unless the video is something I'm very interested in or unique in one way or another. I also don't care for those who over process their pictures with highly saturated colors in them that looks fake. JMO. However everybody has different tastes so don't worry about those who try to rate your videos or photos. I do find the world response to your video informative which in itself is a interesting subject.

I have a couple of friends who produce amatuer videography and there is something about how they do it that keeps my attention, & not just because I know em. This video might not be to your liking and I'm sure others feel the same but it just flows to my tastes and is easy to watch without having to fast forward through any of it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife