DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reactions to drones in public

One small remark to the situation on photography in Germany: The thing is NOT that you cannot photograph people without their prior consent, the thing is that you cannot PUBLISH without consent, unless certain conditions are met. Making a transfer to the drones, as long as a person is not singled out, the picture is not really a problem seen from the photography perspective.
BUT there is another problem that occurs within the EU general:
A picture is considered "personal data" and therefor, privacy laws play an important role. Even if the picture is not a problem from the photography approach, it still may (will in most cases) cause problems with privacy laws that states (more or less) that you cannot process personal data without either prior consent OR urgent reasons to do so. Exception is for journalistic purposes (news photgraphy and film) but contrary to the US, the simply amateur getting footage is not considered to be a member of the press.

Reactions: ssvdh66
The situation in the EU is to say frankly, spoiled.
Certainly in Austria as one of Germany's neighbours, we face similiar problems even though in the past making photos for non-commercial, private use, were a thing without too much hassle. Back then people somehow still showed a common sense of privacy and so a lot of problems were avoided in the first place and less legal actions needed to be carried out.

Nowadays as everyone carries a smartphone with a camera, the inhibition threshold has lowered significantly and drones are a prominent representative of something that may spy on them, make them feel uncomfortable. The overall feel of people in insecure times certainly has its effect on our hobby, especially when the technology and the aim is not well-understood.

The passed laws contradict what they aim for: protecting your privacy but at the same time, they put everyone of us, under the general suspicion of doing something illegal. It's a sad development with further non-practical regulations no one really knows how to exectue.

Saying that, I fortunately never had any personal negative experiences in my short time as a drone flyer.
I try to seek places to start and land, where very few if any people are around, follow the basic rules and have common sense what is appropriate and what's not. In this regard, it was interesting to get to know new places, I've passed by earlier.

Last edited:
For safety, I try to avoid places with many people, but you can never exclude someone showing up when you're flying. If someone complains about my flying, I try to find out what exactly they fear. Is it the risk of a crash? Is it the sound? Is it the fear of invading privacy?
# In case it's the fear of a crash, I show them I'm insured and do only fly VLOS.
# If they have a problem with the sound, I refer to the people using these big airblowers to "clean" the garden. They make more noise.
# If they fear invading privacy, I show them some of the footage I made. They soon realize, that if you fly at an altitude of 40 meters, it gets hard to recognize the people and that I don't concentrate o the people but on the scenery. That will take their concerns most of the time.

Up untill today, I never had a real problem with people.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Lately I've had a number of negative reactions from people while flying my drone in public. For the most part, many people don't seem bothered by it, and some will wave at the drone when it goes by. However, I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it. I've been thinking about this and it seems that perhaps some people feel threatened by the technology of seeing this "thing" flying in the air with no visible human connection. I've had plenty of experience going out in public with my DSLR, but don't recall seeing people throw things at me or looking so suspicious.

The best way to respond to people who willingly make themselves ignorant of what drones are about (ie, they will not educate themselves, and they stick to their small-mindedness), is to simply ignore them, unless they ask intelligent questions. I ignore most ignorant people like that. I just fly, wherever, and enjoy it. Almost any questions I get are positive.

Just last night on FOX News, Tucker Carlson ran a story on drones. The upshot of the whole thing is that DJI is using our UAVs to spy on America and the West. Crops are being surveilled and those guys flying drones over the nuclear power plants are being targeted for Chinese surveillance. REALLY. I thought it was illegal to fly anywhere near a nuclear power plant, and I have not seen video to date of one person doing that. I suspect the authorities would be all over that, just like they are all over drones flying over prisons. I would be more suspect of Chinese satellite imaging capability than drone footage that is shot randomly. When I can see parking lines in auto park lots on Google Earth, then spy imaging has got to be at least an order of magnitude better, which means reading a license plate is easy-peasy. Why depend on drones then? Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah you can chock that one up under stupid media tricks. Hurricane and shark seasons haven’t gotten underway and they need filler for the 24 hour news cycle that will scare stupid old tools while they take hits off their oxygen tanks.

Again, people, a Mavic really doesn’t have any more capability than the camera on your cellphone in terms of spying power. Government drones which can do this kind of reconnaissance are not for sale to the public vis a vis ITAR and National Security restrictions. Other larger consumer drones have better cameras but the power source limits range and loiter capabilities making it ineffective for reconnaissance.

Consumer drones have been used for some illegal activities eg ferrying drugs and other contraband over prison walls, etc. but hardcore reconnaissance by the Chinese government is just a bridge too far.

I always look for places void of the masses & fly with respect to non-fliers. So if I'm working an area and somebody shows up, I do everything I can not to bother them. Most who walk by are just curious but if I feel they're upset, I usually tell them I'm not snooping around and ask if they'd like to see what the area looks like from above. We do have a few rec parks that allow flying RC aircraft including multi-rotors. Seems most people are not bothered about it because there are so many flying about with racing quads.
I'm sure that a few folks have raised an eyebrow and not challenge me in any way. I've only actually had one person freak on me when I landed after some sunset photography. I had green white and red strobes on and this guy driving by locked up his brakes, got out of his car, started pointing and shaking his head in a kind of WTF attitude. He couldn't get to me because I was inside a fenced pasture with the property owner.

If someone feels they can hit it by throwing things at it, you are too close to them. You may be well within your rights and flying legally etc. but you are talking about public reactions. I fly at a park most afternoons and if someone else is there I keep it above 300 feet where it is not as noticeable. I am also not as noticeable because I operate it from inside my car (it is not that I am hiding, it is just more comfortable).
How are you maintaining VLOS in your car?

Lately I've had a number of negative reactions from people while flying my drone in public. For the most part, many people don't seem bothered by it, and some will wave at the drone when it goes by. However, I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it. I've been thinking about this and it seems that perhaps some people feel threatened by the technology of seeing this "thing" flying in the air with no visible human connection. I've had plenty of experience going out in public with my DSLR, but don't recall seeing people throw things at me or looking so suspicious.

try pointing your DSLR at strangers kissing in public.

...Anyone think they would notice one passing over at 300 feet in sport mode (45mph) ?? I don't think I would.
Full throttle, 300 feet, in sport mode is pretty noticeable on a quiet day. At least it is for me and my hearing is not the best. Even with the lower-noise props it makes enough noise that people will notice and look for it. The upside is they are less likely to think it is recording them due to it's speed.

We should all be keeping the overall reputation of the drone flying hobby/profession in mind. If that means saying "Yes Sir, No Sir, Three bags full Sir" then that is what we should always do. Forget about your egos - there is a lot more at stake.
I generally agree. However, I will not allow anyone to bully me or be abusive. Many times I have been flying and had people approach. Most of the time I will tell them I can't talk because I am flying and must maintain control of the uAS while I am flying. I also tell them when I land I will speak to them. Most of the time that works. Sometimes it doesn't. If they are respectful in their tone and comments I am equally respectful. If they are not respectful or are discourteous in their comments they will be met with an equally discourteous response. I have a 0 tolerance policy for a33h0!es. I say always follow the rules and be respectful of privacy concerns and there should be no issues. I also don't think that "yes sir, no sir, three....." should be employed when people are being discourteous and or disrespectful. That actually does us all a disservice and emboldens rude people to continue their behavior. I am firmly of the belief that we should never reward bad behavior.

, 300 feet,
I disagree. If you are flying at 300 feet it's pretty unobtrusive. In my opinion, if you are close enough that someone believes they can hit your uAS with an object by throwing at it. You are way to close. just my .02

Funny thing happened on my first Mavic 2 flight. I drove about 30 miles out of town to fly because. D.C. is a huge NFZ. No worries I drove out of town and fly near a waterway where there is a train bridge. Made for some decent video. While flying I get approached by an old codger... He starts going into his rehearsed drone's are bad diatribe. Tells me the offsprey are being affected by my flight over the water (He's wrong I am nowhere near the birds because who the hell wants to run into a bird over water) Anyway I tell him I'm flying and that when I land I will discuss it with him. He waits.... waits..... waits....... waits....... then says where is it? LOL He says he can't hear it or see it.... LOL! I tell him it's a stealth drone and that I am over by the bridge away from the birds who are feeding. I was probably about 500 meters away and at about 90 meters AGL. He looks says he can't see it or hear it. My response, "See I told you it was a stealth bird." He shrugs and walks away.

Reactions: Thomas B
I disagree. If you are flying at 300 feet it's pretty unobtrusive.
I was referring to flying at 300 feet full-speed in sport mode. On a quiet day the sound is noticeable, causing people to look for it. Just cruising at slower speed or hovering it is, as you say, pretty unobtrusive.

Reactions: m0j0
Recently at our family reunion at Orange Beach, we hired a company to take pictures of the family and grandkids on the beach in front of our rented condo. As the picture taking came to a close and while everyone was still dressed in their finest beach wear, I pulled out my Mavic 2 Zoom and started prepping for flight. Before I even calibrated, much less took off, I had two condo security guards threatening to call the police! I explained that it was for family video and that I had an FAA commercial license (offered my FAA ticket as proof) and an FAA registered drone, but it didn’t matter. They said, “put it in the case now or we’re calling the police!”.... Whew! Evidently a”bad apple” had spoiled the bushel..... PLEASE use our drones with respect to those around us!!!

Before I even calibrated, much less took off, I had two condo security guards threatening to call the police!
Where exactly were you flying? I don't see anything that would prohibit you from flying that area unless you were to close to an airport.

Where exactly were you flying? I don't see anything that would prohibit you from flying that area unless you were to close to an airport.
Thanks for the question, I was not near an airport at all! The security guards told me that it was a beach ordinance that drones were not allowed. I was at the Phoenix Nine Condos on Orange Beach about a mile west of the Fla/Alabama line. Earlier we had seen a drone flying from our balcony over the beach but could not tell what kind it was. It was a good distance out from the condo. It looked like it might have been an Evo... oh well, the hired still shots came out great... just wish we could have shot with the drone...

So far I've had no negative reviews from myself flying a drone in public, though a couple of people have looked at my Mavic with disdain from a distance. I've never been harassed by anyone about what I was doing, but then again, I fly pretty conservatively and safely.

I talk a little about the reasons some people hate drones here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer