DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reactions to drones in public

Another change in wording FAA has made recently is how they now state that recreational fliers (and probably 107 license holders as well) will have to show proof of registration and passing the knowledge test to not only FAA personnel and law enforcement. Does this include city police?

As many have warned, rogue fliers are going to bring more regulations to the hobby if they don’t stop flying illegally and unsafely

I've only ever had one person come over when I was flying and kick off about it. He was a German tourist and I was minding my own business, setting up a focal point above a local monument. He thought I was taking photos of his wife, which I explained I wasn't but he still wasn't having any of it. Afterwards, I spoke to a photography colleague, who explained the laws in Germany, where you cannot take photos of anyone. Where this explained the guy's attitude, it did not excuse it. He was taking photos of me, (like I was giving a ****, and threatening to post them on the internet), at which I raised my hat and smiled.
Dozens of others have been nothing but interested and amazed at the Mavic and what it can do.
As always, be courteous, fly safe, keep out of everyone's face and don't do what I eventually did and tell the guy to, "Foxtrot Omega".

I've only ever had one person come over when I was flying and kick off about it. He was a German tourist and I was minding my own business, setting up a focal point above a local monument. He thought I was taking photos of his wife, which I explained I wasn't but he still wasn't having any of it. Afterwards, I spoke to a photography colleague, who explained the laws in Germany, where you cannot take photos of anyone. Where this explained the guy's attitude, it did not excuse it. He was taking photos of me, (like I was giving a
and threatening to post them on the internet), at which I raised my hat and smiled.
Dozens of others have been nothing but interested and amazed at the Mavic and what it can do.
As always, be courteous, fly safe, keep out of everyone's face and don't do what I eventually did and tell the guy to, "Foxtrot Omega".

Jake, you are right. Another poster here had a similar situation with a German woman. There are laws in Germany protecting the public regarding photography. Images of people may not be published or posted on the web without their consent. That’s why the art of street photography is so difficult there as well.

Reactions: Jake 61
Yes there is something missing. The drones fraternity has to make the public aware about all positive aspects of drones. We need positive explanation in local newspapers to educate them all. Most of them know nothing about drones/photography/drone codes etc and who is telling them? nobody. Only the bad things make news.

Reactions: AMann
Just last night on FOX News, Tucker Carlson ran a story on drones. The upshot of the whole thing is that DJI is using our UAVs to spy on America and the West. Crops are being surveilled and those guys flying drones over the nuclear power plants are being targeted for Chinese surveillance. REALLY. I thought it was illegal to fly anywhere near a nuclear power plant, and I have not seen video to date of one person doing that. I suspect the authorities would be all over that, just like they are all over drones flying over prisons. I would be more suspect of Chinese satellite imaging capability than drone footage that is shot randomly. When I can see parking lines in auto park lots on Google Earth, then spy imaging has got to be at least an order of magnitude better, which means reading a license plate is easy-peasy. Why depend on drones then? Is there something I'm missing?

Have you used Litchi Virtual Mission? The GoogleEarth 3D renderings it gets for the flight tour is really good. GoogleEarth uses a lot of aerial photography as well as satellite images, so the details are great. My inlaws thought I had already flown my drone at their property and wondered why I didn’t tell them I was at their house after I sent them a link to my Litchi flight of their property. Their reaction was funny when I told them it was from GoogleEarth images.

Another change in wording FAA has made recently is how they now state that recreational fliers (and probably 107 license holders as well) will have to show proof of registration and passing the knowledge test to not only FAA personnel and law enforcement. Does this include city police?

As many have warned, rogue fliers are going to bring more regulations to the hobby if they don’t stop flying illegally and unsafely

yes that is exactly what it means. state police, county sheriff, and city police have been "granted" the authority (which the faa clearly doesn't have) to demand proof of registration and proof you passed a test with no probable cause or reasonable suspicion. it's almost like a stop and id situation where law enforcement can use it as a tool. you can't even force a motorist to do this unless you suspect they have broken a (state, local) law. they have put hobby drone flyers in a bad situation because there is no legal way to verify these documents and in some cases, this declaration violates people's rights.

Yes there is something missing. The drones fraternity has to make the public aware about all positive aspects of drones. We need positive explanation in local newspapers to educate them all. Most of them know nothing about drones/photography/drone codes etc and who is telling them? nobody. Only the bad things make news.

i gave that up a long time ago. every opportunity i get i evangelize for drones to friends and family but i already understand you're never going to change the public's mind about drones. the only way they'll change their mind is when they get one themselves. that's what we had to do with evil cellphones.

the positive drone news you read in the newspaper are the "other" drones, not the drone you have. america is real good as separating the same thing into different classes.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Well...when I think about it, people seem immune to any concerns that there is a camera in the hand of virtually EVERY American human being over age 10. No concerns about privacy there...and most of those camera-carrying human beings are QUICK to disregard privacy concerns anytime it suits them when something they think is "spectacular" happens which they video and claim bragging rights by being the first to publish on YouTube. Many people are fickle and hypocritical when it comes to their rights and the rights of others.

Buuuutttt...as all this relates to my own drone flying, I generally fly considering the fact that many folks- whether justifiably or not- are uncomfortable by a flying camera. So I either try to fly "stealthily"- i.e. high enough or far away enough so as not to draw attention. And I fly "stealthily" by launching from locations where I'm not drawing attention and not disturbed and distracted from flying.

I'm of the mindset that, if I happen to see a drone go over my house 150 or more higher, I don't give it a second thought; but if I see a drone go over my house 50 feet or lower, then I'm ready to throw something at it to knock it down and have a "friendly" word with the pilot.

• Angry
Reactions: Drgnfli
As a new pilot, I’ve only had two people come to me while flying. As a result, one bought one, the other is shopping for the best deal,

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I'm of the mindset that, if I happen to see a drone go over my house 150 or more higher, I don't give it a second thought; but if I see a drone go over my house 50 feet or lower, then I'm ready to throw something at it to knock it down and have a "friendly" word with the pilot.

Good point. I usually fly between 100-300 feet. Above 200 the drone is not noticeable. If you get a complaint from someone then you are indeed flying too low. I honestly have never seen another random drone flying around other than mine. What does that prove ?? Unless you're staring at the sky all day, chances are you will not see a passing drone. Anyone think they would notice one passing over at 300 feet in sport mode (45mph) ?? I don't think I would.

I’d be curious to see some report or case study that measures people’s knowledge of drones, or how familiar they are.

It would be interesting to see if awareness correlated to location or specific demographics, ie a more tech savvy city or state in general, compared to the back woods of the Deep South. (I’m relating this to the North American locale). It comes down to basic understanding of new technology

Movies make you think about what is possible...but that always make the drone to be some evil thing controlled by a malevolent A.I. (SkyNet) [emoji23]

Anyways....just an observation

I don't like AI. As a retired IT consultant. I don't like self driving cars, or "Drone Deliveries" . All I can see are people getting hurt or killed. "Oops, must have been a short, or a capacitor".

Reactions: SteveSB
Lately I've had a number of negative reactions from people while flying my drone in public. For the most part, many people don't seem bothered by it, and some will wave at the drone when it goes by. However, I've had other reactions which range from people displaying their middle finger, to those who throw things at it. I've been thinking about this and it seems that perhaps some people feel threatened by the technology of seeing this "thing" flying in the air with no visible human connection. I've had plenty of experience going out in public with my DSLR, but don't recall seeing people throw things at me or looking so suspicious.
Have you ever considered that perhaps your flying too low?

In Oz we must remain 30m from people. I have no issue with that but I also apply another rule myself. I won’t fly it where others might feel it’s an intrusion irrespective of what a regulation says is permissible.
Logic says it’s no different than standing at a fence line with a camera and lets face it we all carry one these days. But it will take time for people to accept that space above their heads is not theirs alone and that looking from above is no different to looking from a street.
So, for me, I apply a bit of common sense (and sensitivity). I always operate in accordance with regulatory limits but if I feel a sensitivity I will either stay away or get their ok.

To date I haven't had any negative encounters with people. When the subject "Drone" comes up I'm quick to respond with, "I'm an amateur photographer, and my drone is nothing more that an aerial platform"

I try to launch from an inconspicuous location and pop up to around 300 ft or more where most people don't even notice it's up. I try to not look like I'm flying, often sitting in my truck, with a line of sight view. Grab my shots or vids fast and leave.

Here's a 360° Global from Duncans Mills California. That's the Russian River on its way to the coast, 3 miles away.

So far so good. Fly safe, have fun.

Steve LaBranche

I won’t fly it where others might feel it’s an intrusion irrespective of what a regulation says is permissible.

That is by far the best way to do things in the field.
I've often found myself going somewhere to film and not done so.
For example down to the beach near sunset, sometimes there are very few people and I will fly, other times there are just too many to be considerate / safe, and don't for a second more think of flying . . . I just enjoy the sunset from the ground with my own eyes for a change, there'll be more.

I've only experienced curiosity.
I did have one woman approach me because I was flying nearby (I was filming a church steeple next door) and said she took exception to me filming/flying over her house. I showed her my screen and explained I was filming the church steeple only and she said "Well you can never be too careful, what with Heathrow" (this was just after the alleged drone incident at Heathrow) and then walked off with her little doggie and thanked me.

I think most people have this fear of what they don't know or understand. I've had graveyard gardeners, other drone flyers, elderly men and young children and their mothers approach me and ask me questions whilst flying. None of them where aggressive or threatening.
Some want to know how far it can fly, how much it costs, what I can see, how high I am or just to look at my screen.

I suppose it may depend on your 'look', because ultimately everyone stereotypes others (even though we all say we don't) and if you fit the stereotype then people may approach you in a different way. I'm old and fat, so not very threatening! LOL!!

Please don't let the minority put you off flying. Just choose your location and flight height carefully and you'll be good. Most importantly, be talkative and open if people approach. If someone does complain just apologise and tell them you will be done shortly. Even lie to them and say it's for a film if that's what it takes to pacify them!! (I can guarantee they'll want the details and want to be in it!!)

I fly mostly early mornings or late nights when there are fewer people around, but I do also fly day time. This can be a way of avoiding complaints or if you need to film something where there are normally lots of people who might take exception to you flying.

Happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_