DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real story on 107

MadMaqx

Reactions
I was just offered a job for insurance claims adjuster,given business card long discussion.He is a ceo/President needs drone pilot badly. Kept asking if I could,told him legally I can't. So my question is I am computer,and tech savvy how hard is the 107 I've read hard,easy study for 3 months etc. How many questions, class needed. Everything from computers ,mechanics electric, plumming have been self taught can this be done with 107. [emoji848]

General recommendations are about 15 hrs of study. Everything you need to study is free. Figure on a couple of weeks of periodic studying and depending on how soon you can schedule a test you could have it in less than a month. The test is NOT difficult, it will take about 25 minutes to complete IF you have studied seriously. Main areas of testing are safety and airspace. Start HERE. This is a widely recognized help site that many have used to pass the exam. The FAA also has their own study guide HERE, and 3dr has a practice exam HERE.

It took me a month of studying for at least an hour every day. Personally, I plonked down $130 for the King Schools course. Their structure made things easy for me to understand.

Reactions: MadMaqx
Take as many of the free tests on line as you can find. After you score results, hit those missed areas hard and test on all areas again. The areas missed will be your basis for further studies.
60 questions 2 hours if I recall correct.

Reactions: MadMaqx
General recommendations are about 15 hrs of study. Everything you need to study is free. Figure on a couple of weeks of periodic studying and depending on how soon you can schedule a test you could have it in less than a month. The test is NOT difficult, it will take about 25 minutes to complete IF you have studied seriously. Main areas of testing are safety and airspace. Start HERE. This is a widely recognized help site that many have used to pass the exam. The FAA also has their own study guide HERE, and 3dr has a practice exam HERE.

Thanks for the information, and I like the nick scott.

I used King schools — bought class on Saturday, finished Sunday took test on a Tuesday and got a 90%. I’m an engineer and read/absorb material as a normal part of what I do, but I thought it was relatively easy. King’s website and tools are not as fancy as some other schools, but they’ve been in pilot education a long time and I wanted that subtle info that comes from doing something a long time.

I will also say that I flew my drone a couple of times before this in an area where no airports/heliports were within 5 miles and I got to reflect on those flights while I studied. After the 107, I have a significantly heightened sense of responsibility, care and safety than before.

It’s very similar to taking an amateur radio exam — as a user of FRS radios you don’t understand the RF spectrum and your place in it and how a radio can cause interference, loss of life, etc. Licensed by the FCC (in the US) you gain an understanding of this, more privileges and more responsibility.

My greatest fear as an individual is being “that guy” that does something wrong, out of ignorance, and makes drone pilots look bad. Personally, it was important to me to get educated even though I don’t plan to start a business around drones.

I have not taken the "107" yet but I did take a fixed wing private pilot's exam and passed it without taking classes, ground school etc. You can do it on your own but you have to be serious in your studies. Good Luck!

Hmm cdl hazmat,oil lisc.,propane lisc.,cab lisc hunting fishing lisc. Lol marriage lisc.now FAA lisc going to need a calendar to keep track. All these lisc. The only thing I can't do is Protect the President! Yet...

You can try and cobble through the free stuff and with enough effort you can probably pass, but if you want to do well and approach this as a professional it's best to just pay for a well designed course and do it right. I used Gold Seal online and it was great. Excellent service if you have specific questions, easy to follow and tons of sample tests. Since you are dealing with a professional position, I would think this would also give you more credibility than someone who just tried to wing it with the free stuff.

I was just offered a job for insurance claims adjuster,given business card long discussion.He is a ceo/President needs drone pilot badly. Kept asking if I could,told him legally I can't. So my question is I am computer,and tech savvy how hard is the 107 I've read hard,easy study for 3 months etc. How many questions, class needed. Everything from computers ,mechanics electric, plumming have been self taught can this be done with 107. [emoji848]

Congrats on the offer and best of luck with the job!! You know you will get it!!

I recently passed my 107 and was quite pleased with myself. I am old and haven't really taken a real test in about 30 years!! I had never seen aviation charts before and this was ALL new content to me. My main motivation was being a better/safer drone operator since I think 107 contributes to the overall look of drone operators - I think the public has a (misguided) perception many of us are peeping toms with flying cameras!!

Anyway, I would really recommend watching:

I watched it about four times, printed his study guide and studied roughly 40-50 hours. I really did take it seriously - also the Prepware book is helpful and I took a drone prep course but if I had it to do over - I saw that as the least helpful - helpful but if money is tight before a job I think you can do it on your own if you are disciplined. Also, print the FAA guide and the advisory circular.

Best of luck and you got some great advice above too!! More questions? Come back here - lots of really knowledgable folks!!!

Reactions: JDawg
Question:

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Part 107 training offered by UAV Coach?

I have signed up for their 90 minute hands on flight training and paid $199.99.

Any information you may have on Part 107 training by UAV Coach would be appreciated.

Thanks for all replies they were great help
I have a customer who while building his company taught himself everything he needed to be totally self reliant. Photography, videos, writing code for his website, you name it he learned. I was in his office one day while he was working on writing some code and he had 3 books open to chapters all explaining the same thing about what he was currently working on. He said this helped him a lot, if one book was explaining something in a way he didn't understand he would go to a different book that explained the same thing but in a slightly different way. It really works great for those of us with a racing mind.

Reactions: TR Ganey

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d