DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REALLY DANGEROUS BUG, IF CONFIRMED: RTH Failsafe for lost signal.

I can’t speak for the Mavic 2 but I was an experienced operator and had my Mavic Pro for more than a year and when I lost complete disconnection to my bird, remote etc..it never returned home , instead kept flying and descided to descend 1 mile out from me in the ocean. I tried everything to reconnect to the controller and nothing. At the time (July) I contacted DJI and they wouldn’t give me the time of day because of no warranty. It was no doubt a firmware bug as I saw dozens of people having had similar issues and today its still going on and many have not had any solutions to it. No doubt some were human error but many were like mine. I won’t go into the details etc...as i’ve Done this already but rest assured it was a firmware update issue at the time but DJI would not admit to it...I was under 100 meters away when it happened . I blame either DJI or police helicopter came out of the nowhere at about 2500feet above my Mavic..What are the chances police have remote interferes with controller/?? Has anyone heard of this happening...when I lost complete connection to the Mavic with controller (saying connecting....) it took off like someone else was controlling it

Reactions: noosaguy
And still I see threads here about 'should we be able to fly over crowds?'. The fact is we have half a brick in the air and although these things are an amazing piece of technology, there is always the potential for something to go horribly wrong.
So far I trust my M2P but when you read of all the 'minor' incidents on these pages, including this thread, I won't do it. (probably posted this in the wrong place :))

Reactions: ff22
What are the chances police have remote interferes with controller/?? Has anyone heard of this happening...when I lost complete connection to the Mavic with controller (saying connecting....) it took off like someone else was controlling it

I reckon there is every chance... if not at present, certainly in future.

I saw a video about this sort of behaviour by a photographer some time ago. I guy was shooting on the coast in the US somewhere and somehow lost control of his Mavic. Or at least, so it seemed.
His drone took off in the opposite direction and he had no control over it. Unfortunately he never saw it again. After extensive analysis, it seems what happened was, by coincidence, someone else was flying their mavic in the same area. The girl that was with the guy swore she saw two drones in the air. The pilot that lost his reckons that what happened he got the two drones confused, not being aware there was another in the area, and flew his into the cliff face. The other drone operator then brought his back to where he was and the original pilot obviously had no control over the other drone. The fact was his was already gone and he mistakenly thought the other drone was his.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuadCopterAce
I can’t speak for the Mavic 2 but I was an experienced operator and had my Mavic Pro for more than a year and when I lost complete disconnection to my bird, remote etc..it never returned home , instead kept flying and descided to descend 1 mile out from me in the ocean. I tried everything to reconnect to the controller and nothing. At the time (July) I contacted DJI and they wouldn’t give me the time of day because of no warranty. It was no doubt a firmware bug as I saw dozens of people having had similar issues and today its still going on and many have not had any solutions to it. No doubt some were human error but many were like mine. I won’t go into the details etc...as i’ve Done this already but rest assured it was a firmware update issue at the time but DJI would not admit to it...I was under 100 meters away when it happened . I blame either DJI or police helicopter came out of the nowhere at about 2500feet above my Mavic..What are the chances police have remote interferes with controller/?? Has anyone heard of this happening...when I lost complete connection to the Mavic with controller (saying connecting....) it took off like someone else was controlling it

But you never posted any flight logs - you just kept posting that you lost it, in a creek initially and then changed to lost it in the ocean, and that DJI would not replace it. Contrary to your assertion, almost all cases that get posted here turn out to have a simple explanation that doesn't involve hardware or firmware (or software) failure - they are pilot error.

Because it took 15 minutes to regain connection and the battery was almost drained, as I stated in the original posting. RTH should not take more than a minute to RTH.

I blame either DJI or police helicopter came out of the nowhere at about 2500 feet above my Mavic..What are the chances police have remote interferes with controller/?? Has anyone heard of this happening...when I lost complete connection to the Mavic with controller (saying connecting....) it took off like someone else was controlling it

That comment is for the "Conspiracy Theory" forum.

I regularly fly with two other mavics and a phantom within 100mtrs with ZERO problems encountered. all taking off and landing within a 20 metre area

Having the AC retrace it's steps is a good idea, especially if you go around an object, or over a mountain top. I guess I'm used to it from owning P4P/A's.

Reactions: mrreddog
Wow... this is just more of a complete affirmation that you need to understand what you are doing before you fly. That means you have to RTM.. I flew my original Mavic for what is about to be 30 months before I replaced it this week. It was absolutely perfect. All I can say is I have seen so many potential issues that are easy to understand and overcome with knowledge and experience. No excuse for failing to understand what is happening. Too many grab it and fly pilots.

Wow... this is just more of a complete affirmation that you need to understand what you are doing before you fly. That means you have to RTM.. I flew my original Mavic for what is about to be 30 months before I replaced it this week. It was absolutely perfect. All I can say is I have seen so many potential issues that are easy to understand and overcome with knowledge and experience. No excuse for failing to understand what is happening. Too many grab it and fly pilots.
Ummm, this post is year old.

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Lol.. Read my first flight experience. RTH works great for me and even pressing the button a ton of times after panicking. Lol.. Thread is old.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan