DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really need a tip to scare seagulls away

Maybe you can distract them by putting out safe to eat pet food pellets as bait a ways away from your flying area.

Not a bad idea, they flock like crazy to . . .

images

Reactions: Flycaster
Been told to fly straight up when seagulls bother the drone - not sure if it is of any help for you

Well according to the study above, seagulls would not eat food bread placed on a red shiny plate.

Let's see, those squares are 2 euro each... I have added double tape.

Obviously weight is now over 250 grams but honestly this is the least of my worries compared to the danger od seagulls attacking the MM when I fly above the water.

I'll keep you guys up with the results.

I had a good laugh yesterday since after only 1 mn of flight and back, a seagull just stood there on the top of a flag pole nearby for 10 mn looking at what I was doing, ready to call others if I would throw the MM again in the air

She only went away from I played the eagle screeching wav file...

Those seagulls would have made Darwin proud ...

Well according to the study above, seagulls would not eat food bread placed on a red shiny plate.

Let's see, those squares are 2 euro each... I have added double tape.

Obviously weight is now over 250 grams but honestly this is the least of my worries compared to the danger od seagulls attacking the MM when I fly above the water.

I'll keep you guys up with the results.

I had a good laugh yesterday since after only 1 mn of flight and back, a seagull just stood there on the top of a flag pole nearby for 10 mn looking at what I was doing, ready to call others if I would throw the MM again in the air

She only went away from I played the eagle screeching wav file...

Those seagulls would have made Darwin proud ...
I wouldn’t call that a study, he only used one color to test it, and maybe the gulls were democratic or hated cake! Anyways, definitely try it out and report back , perhaps you really will be on to something and the only way to know is by trial and error.

Reactions: Snickell
I fly my aircraft most of the time with seagulls around and they never bother the aircraft. They usually fly away.

It's odd most birds stay away from my MPz and EVO but tend to attach my MA. I guess they may not like the high pitch noise or it looks and sounds like a squealing mouse?

I am fighting with seagulls on every single shooting now and they are becoming more and more threatening.

- They could care less about an extra strobe.
- A speaker screaming like an eagle would mess up the compass because of its magnet.

Please help. Any tip welcome.

Seagulls will stay away if you have a dog in the vicinity.

almost every flight of mine is with a local type of hawk gang flying around. With the MA it was scary, they would constantly dive bomb it close enough to set the obstacle avoidance sensors off.
The the M2Z they also go after it. Same thing, routinely getting close enough for the remote to beep and vibrate and the drone to stop in mid air. Very stressful.

I have found for me flying high and fast is key. They circle aaround my rooftop take off point as they perch on the higher buildings around my house. They also are all along the coast which is where 99% of my flying is. So once i take off, they begin their circling. I usually fly off and up at full sticks both ways. Usually stopping at around 50m height. Sometimes they chase it but after a 100m at 50kmh they almost always turn back. I can't outrun them with the MA the same way.

On return I fly in and have become accustomed to doing a really fast landing approach and quickly dropping on to my rooftop deck.

The worst is when I am trying to do a hyperlapse and the drone is tooling along at 2kmh. I get the obstacle beep/vibe and have to pray no hawks try to take it out!

Don't think my flying style is possible with a MM...

I won't surrender :)
Camouflage v1 as a quick fix with blue masking tape and red electric tape
Eyes on the top and at the back since they bomb-dive from up above or attack like eagles from the back..

If this does not work , camouflage v2, will have a light 6-foot long fiberglass kite spar across with 2 red plums on the tips to make it look bigger than a seagull :)

View attachment 93428
How about running two bare wires ( one +, one -) around the prop guards with high voltage so if a bird grabs it, they are shocked and let go? Need an extra battery and electronics to generate the higher voltage..... The concept works for cows. ?

I love the part in this clip where Kaitlin says: "I don't understand why the seagulls feel they can take everybody else's paid for food." I dont see it as a moral choice for a seagull especially if they do not understand the concept of paying for something in the first place!

Last edited:
I also have the same problems with my mavic air and can't find a way around it. Looking forward to finding a solution somehow!! So far nothing has worked for me. I've also tried the "going fast" approach, but they don't really care... I've thus avoided them as best as I could

Back in the 1970's - I worked as an Engineer for the Civil Aviation Authority in New Zealand. With a lot of airports close to the Sea, there was a big problem with seagulls getting in the way of Aircraft. I never saw it tested - but I'll always remember that we had a stock item on the CAA order books, which was a 'styrofoam dead seagull' This looked just like a wing-spread, head down seagull that just lay on the ground where you put it. The theory was that seagulls don't like to go where there are dead gulls! As I said - I never saw it tested, but some boffin must have done some testing to get the things made and stocked [??]

In terms of drone attached speakers, you can use a piezo-speaker which has no magnets. It's only good for high pitched sound's but from what I read, that's what you're after. Small digital player and an amp make the package. Another something to consider..................

Scrapping the Mavic for a RoboBird would also work but probably best to wait for prices to come down..

Airports using drones to keep themselves safe from birds who would have thought.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat