DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Really scared.

Thanks for continued replies. For me, it isnt that I doubt I will be able to learn to fly. The concern is the horror stories I have read about the software/FW side of things and connectivity. I have watched many many youtube videos. Once everything is updated, it appears extremely easy to fly (in beginner mode).

I know someone at work that has a two Phantoms but we dont share the same days off so I haven't been able to see his in action. He too, flies with Android.

Thanks for continued replies. For me, it isnt that I doubt I will be able to learn to fly. The concern is the horror stories I have read about the software/FW side of things and connectivity. I have watched many many youtube videos. Once everything is updated, it appears extremely easy to fly (in beginner mode).

I know someone at work that has a two Phantoms but we dont share the same days off so I haven't been able to see his in action. He too, flies with Android.

That's the guy you should have help you set up and launch the first time. Then buy him a few brews there after. Zero firm ware issues here with doing updates each and every time but I do use an IPhone 7 plus for whatever that matters.

Does your Note 4 run Nougat? If not, I doubt you will have any major issues. Most of the Android related problems are related to Nougat. Keep the OS below 7.0 and you'll be fine.

Lots of other good advice has already been given, so I won't bother repeating it.

I am on 6.0.1 I have not heard of Nougat.
You are running Marshmallow then. Nougat is Android 7.x. I doubt you will have any significant problems. My Note 5 had zero problems until after the upgrade to 7.x and, from what I've heard, the Note 4 should also be good.

Remember, forums are where people come too and find answers to problems.

Play with it and if there are issues, exchange it. But I wouldn't return it based on what you read on forums.

Now that DJI has caught up on their production, their issues might be resolved and QC might be improved.

Enjoy it and just do what you had planned.

I'm using an iPhone and have never had an issue, get an iPad mini as a dedicated Mavic controller and don't worry about the android issues.

I love my Mavic. I am using Android and have been since I got it. I have had the app crash a couple of times, but it didn't affect flight. All I did was force shut down the app and restarted it and went right back to my flight. I am using the latest update of the Go4 app and I am on Firmware .800. I have had my Mavic now for about three months and the novelty has not worn off yet. I fly at least 3 times a day sometimes more on weekends. I have had three crashes, all completely user error. First crash I was doing a low flying pull away shot and hit a tree branch. Second crash I ran into a wall inside the house (no more indoor flying). Third crash was just after twilight, I had the collision avoidance turned off and I miss judged my speed on an approach and made a hard landing. Lessons were learned on all three crashes and hopefully we won't make those mistakes again. Other than replacing the props the Mavic has held up like a champ. I live within 4 miles of an airport and never had any NFZ issues. Point I am trying to make is I would DEFINITELY recommend a Mavic to anyone wanting to get into this game.

Reactions: Dronewerkz
I ordered a Mavic from B&H earlier today. I have been browsing through the DJI forums and am really scared.....

I already have all sorts of nightmares when using Mavic with Android. I have a very busy life working two jobs and I am not super techno savy, meaning I don't have the time or desire to spend more time troubleshooting various problems when using Android, problems with downloading FW, problems with cracking batteries, etc....

Guess my question is, should I simply return the Mavic when it arrives? I really like the idea and would love to do aerial photography, but I am nervous that this thing will be more trouble than I have time to spend.

Thanks

I remember being where you are now. The choose is your but not let fear decided for you. I learned to fly and the more a did it the more I fell in love with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hidnflagn