DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rear view, please

Droning on and on...

Reactions
DJI, please add rear OA camera view to all existing models that can support it. This would be one of the most useful features ever for shooting video while backing up.

Imagine the main camera view being the recorded subject matter, but a rear-view overlay like what's been added recently for the M3.

Let me do OA with my own eyes. The added capability to shoot a receding scene confidently would be huge, it seems to me.

One thing I would like, would be recording of the OA cameras to the sd card. Low bit rate of course. Hopefully I could find out why I had an unexplained collision with damage.

Just get a Yuneec H+ the camera can do a 360 and the cameras got a 1" sensor

Just get a Yuneec H+ the camera can do a 360 and the cameras got a 1" sensor
I don't understand how that helps while flying a backwards reveal.

That would take a complete redesign.

That would take a complete redesign.
How and why?

Didn't require that with Mavic 3.

Having seen it on the M3, DJI needs to abandon this as a differentiator between the high end and everything else, instead roll it out as a now-standard feature an every drone with rear cameras.

The image processing SoC in every DJI drone does the OA, and can easily overlay the image from any OA camera in a portion of the main camera video feed. With near zero processing impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic Moss
Just face the camera to the rear while flying forward

Two problems with that: The camera doesn't rotate backwards on any DJI consumer drone so it's impossible to begin with.

And two, even if you could, you can't focus on your subject matter and shoot the footage your trying to.

There is the tried and true technique of flying forward and reversing in post, but this is only useful for static scenes with no movement that gives cues that the video is running backwards.

I'd like to for example follow with Active Track from the front of the subject and be able to assist the OA if it encounters something it can't handle like overhead wires.

Two problems with that: The camera doesn't rotate backwards on any DJI consumer drone so it's impossible to begin with.

And two, even if you could, you can't focus on your subject matter and shoot the footage your trying to.

There is the tried and true technique of flying forward and reversing in post, but this is only useful for static scenes with no movement that gives cues that the video is running backwards.

I'd like to for example follow with Active Track from the front of the subject and be able to assist the OA if it encounters something it can't handle like overhead wires.
I see you have no Idea about Yuneec Drones, look them up ? Yuneecs camera does a 360 rotation, and the landing gear retracks, so you can put the camera at any angle that you need while flying anyway you'd wish. I'm new to DJI and learning the camera angles is my toughest part after flying Yuneecs for over 5 yrs

How and why?

Didn't require that with Mavic 3.

Having seen it on the M3, DJI needs to abandon this as a differentiator between the high end and everything else, instead roll it out as a now-standard feature an every drone with rear cameras.

The image processing SoC in every DJI drone does the OA, and can easily overlay the image from any OA camera in a portion of the main camera video feed. With near zero processing impact.
I assume you're talking about the sensor view. I guess my mind went to an additional RGB camera and reworked UI to see both views better.

Even with the sensor view, having a small B&W PIP image to navigate backwards isn't ideal. And if we make the sensor view the screen image, we have the actual video being too small to really make do.

I can certainly see the benefit of having an RGB backwards facing camera, but that would literally take a redesign to accomplish on future DJI models. And I don't see a practical way to retrofit that with current models. About the only way would be a second camera running a separate chanel and transmitter (O4?) to a separate monitor.

And if someone is going to go to that much trouble for reverse flights, they may as well get the Inspire 3 with the secondary gimbal control, and the built in FPV camera.

I can see the benefits, but not the practicality. We seem to be asking an awful lot from a prosumer drone.

Reactions: Dbez1
I assume you're talking about the sensor view. I guess my mind went to an additional RGB camera and reworked UI to see both views better.

Even with the sensor view, having a small B&W PIP image to navigate backwards isn't ideal. And if we make the sensor view the screen image, we have the actual video being too small to really make do.

Can't argue with that.

I'll simply counter that I've seen the view available as a new feature on the M3, and while you aren't wrong about it's limitations, it's far more useful than blindness.

If I can see in the direction I'm going, there's a lot – really, a lot! – I can do with that having nothing to do with OA while filming.

Also, when OA does start warning about a rear obstacle and respond in a controlled, maybe planned manner.

DJI, please add rear OA camera view to all existing models that can support it.
First, let me say that it is very doubtful that anyone from DJI will see your suggestion. It would be better served on the DJI forum. Secondly, let me say that the Air 3 does a pretty good job picking up obstacles while flying backward.

I can see the benefits, but not the practicality. We seem to be asking an awful lot from a prosumer drone.

Little to no benefit to any mission where OA is useless, of course.

It would obviously be useless filming from hundreds to thousands of feet away from any object.

In close quarters where there are objects constantly dozens of feet away it would be very helpful for me, at least, to see that building getting closer and closer in the rear view and decide for myself how to deal with it, perhaps saving footage that would be wrecked by whatever decisions OA would make.

First, let me say that it is very doubtful that anyone from DJI will see your suggestion. It would be better served on the DJI forum. Secondly, let me say that the Air 3 does a pretty good job picking up obstacles while flying backward.

OA performance isn't my concern. What it does in response to an obstacle is. I want to control that. Same as I do flying forward.

I see you have no Idea about Yuneec Drones, look them up ? Yuneecs camera does a 360 rotation, and the landing gear retracks, so you can put the camera at any angle that you need while flying anyway you'd wish. I'm new to DJI and learning the camera angles is my toughest part after flying Yuneecs for over 5 yrs
i dont think you are understanding the point of this thread. One camera is not able to do what is being asked reguardless where it is pointing.

Reactions: jmaganaski and shb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor