DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recall!! PGYTECH CPL and NDPL filters,

PL needs rotation more than CPL does. Otherwise how can you adjust what light polarization you want to block and let through?
No- it doesn’t. You might not understand that the CPL works identically to a non CPL with respect to the polarisation effect. There is an additional 1/4 wave plate added behind the linear polariser to ensure light entering in certain cameras will perform as intended. Both CPL and non CPL need to be rotated to get the benefit from their operation.

Anyway, in this case, makes no difference as this CPL doesn't work with the Mini's gimbal. Just got refund notice. So I guess we wait until they fix the problem or Polar Pro comes out with one.

PGYTECH
ORDER #PGYTECH1257​
Some items in your order have been refunded
Total amount refunded: $14.90 USD

I wasn't ... interesting read. Thanks for the facts. I have no doubt been confusing circular with rotating. There is nothing to rotate on the PYG-Tech so it works like sunglasses where the best (strongest) effect is where you position the drone with the sun at its back. I took off the back brace of this filter and it was still too heavy and the camera/gimbal again shook. So I took out the single sheet of polarized glass and attached it with a thin adhesive tape and it does not shake. I will fly it today and find out if it will stay on in flying conditions. More later.

That's the key: sun has to be in a certain direction relative to you and the reflective surface for a fixed PL/CPL to be effective.

I wasn't ... interesting read. Thanks for the facts. I have no doubt been confusing circular with rotating. There is nothing to rotate on the PYG-Tech so it works like sunglasses where the best (strongest) effect is where you position the drone with the sun at its back. I took off the back brace of this filter and it was still too heavy and the camera/gimbal again shook. So I took out the single sheet of polarized glass and attached it with a thin adhesive tape and it does not shake. I will fly it today and find out if it will stay on in flying conditions. More later.
It's clearly a weight issue, as you have proven. If they can replicate the weight of the stock UV filter, and replace it, then it should work, but that is difficult to do with a PL or CPL filter, where you need to easily rotate the filter for the desired amount of polarization, unless you apply it with adhesive tape in an appropriate fixed position each time, without a frame.

Reactions: TheRock
It's clearly a weight issue, as you have proven. If they can replicate the weight of the stock UV filter, and replace it, then it should work, but that is difficult to do with a PL or CPL filter, where you need to easily rotate the filter for the desired amount of polarization, unless you apply it with adhesive tape in an appropriate fixed position each time, without a frame.
It is in a fixed position no matter what, with their frame or not. There is nothing to rotate on their unit. The tape held in windy 20-minute flight yesterday where I moved the gimbal a lot and flew with a heavy wind. Hopefully they'll come up with a light unit that won't stress the gimbal. The little mini held it's own in 15-20MPH gusts and I tried a pano in the wind too, which, considering the wind, came out pretty good. I don't think my "fix" of a taped on piece of glass is going to last that long but we'll see.

Attachments

• Piti.jpg
    Piti.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 38
  • Piti Mini Pano_1 Panorama HDR lo.jpg
    Piti Mini Pano_1 Panorama HDR lo.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 36
It is in a fixed position no matter what, with their frame or not. There is nothing to rotate on their unit. The tape held in windy 20-minute flight yesterday where I moved the gimbal a lot and flew with a heavy wind. Hopefully they'll come up with a light unit that won't stress the gimbal. The little mini held it's own in 15-20MPH gusts and I tried a pano in the wind too, which, considering the wind, came out pretty good. I don't think my "fix" of a taped on piece of glass is going to last that long but we'll see.
McGuyver'ing for the win! Necessity is the mother of invention! Your "fix" is easily replicated, if it fails. Buy a thin sheet of polarized plastic film and cookie cutter multiple filters out of it, as needed!

• Love
Reactions: TheRock
I see that the UV and ND filters are 1.03g

The CPL and ND-PL filters are 1.36g and are subject to the recall...

So maybe the extra 0.33g is the issue, or the distribution of that weight (e.g. too much forward weight) that is causing the problem. I think it will be useful to have ND filters available...but with all 'new' releases there can be bugs …

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I see that the UV and ND filters are 1.03g

The CPL and ND-PL filters are 1.36g and are subject to the recall...

So maybe the extra 0.33g is the issue, or the distribution of that weight (e.g. too much forward weight) that is causing the problem. I think it will be useful to have ND filters available...but with all 'new' releases there can be bugs …
Most likely a combination of the extra weight, and it being as far away from the gimbal balance center as it can be! Is the Mini stock UV filter removable?

I will defer to more experienced observations...but when I look at the camera on my Mini, I don't see anything that could be user removable...

The install process for the PGYTECH filters has their filter clip over the camera, hooking into openings on the top/back of the camera...it would be nice if the filter was 'balanced', but it appears to be front heavy.
1575323707571.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I will defer to more experienced observations...but when I look at the camera on my Mini, I don't seen anything that could be user removable...

The install process for the PGYTECH filters has their filter clip over the camera, hooking into openings on the top/back of the camera...it would be nice if the filter was 'balanced', but it appears to be front heavy.
View attachment 87132
Is there any means to add a counter balance weight toward the rear of the camera assy in a way that would not effect the range of movement?

I will defer to more experienced observations...but when I look at the camera on my Mini, I don't seen anything that could be user removable...

View attachment 87132
That's what I thought. Makes the idea of taping filters over the front as the most likely solution. All other DJI drones have a removable UV filter, that can then be replaced with any other filter. Counterbalancing this filter holder likely exceeds the total weight the gimbal can stabilize, but is worth a shot!

I think that PGYTECH needs to go back to the drawing board and find a way to keep the balance, forwards and backwards, even...

In any case, I would only use the ND filter when it is really called for...the exception rather than the rule.

I used to use a UV filter as a protector on my point and shoot camera...it did add protection to a camera lens when the risk was moderate that something could come into contact with the lens surface...but for the Mini camera...the lens is much less likely to come into contact with something when being used...probably still a good idea to use a lens pen occasionally to clean the lens...as moisture and dust could combine to gunk up the lens...

Having said that, I see some companies are offering a tempered glass cover for the Mavic Mini...so that might be something that could protect the lens 'all the time'....without significant effect on the gimbal balance.

I think that PGYTECH needs to go back to the drawing board and find a way to keep the balance, forwards and backwards, even...

In any case, I would only use the ND filter when it is really called for...the exception rather than the rule.

I used to use a UV filter as a protector on my point and shoot camera...it did add protection to a camera lens when the risk was moderate that something could come into contact with the lens surface...but for the Mini camera...the lens is much less likely to come into contact with something when being used...probably still a good idea to use a lens pen occasionally to clean the lens...as moisture and dust could combine to gunk up the lens...

Having said that, I see some companies are offering a tempered glass cover for the Mavic Mini...so that might be something that could protect the lens 'all the time'....without significant effect on the gimbal balance.
So, not having access to a Mini myself, it sounds like the standard UV filter was removed to save those last few grams of weight to keep it at 249g, such that the actual front glass lens element is now exposed by default, and the Mini gimbal was designed around that lighter state. Adding any additional weight to install a glass cover or any glass filter, even if it works, will exceed the sub 250g exemption, which is the Mini's primary forte, especially outside the U.S., where that distinction has greater repercussions.

I just got one brand of PL from Amazon yesterday and have a set coming too. Will try to test this week. The one I got fires up OK with no gimbal shake.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost