DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendation for Part 107 Reviewer?

Luvs2Fly

Reactions
Hi, I know this has probably been discussed in this forum before but wanted a fresh recommendation from those who have gotten the Part 107 cert.
Can you recommend a good site (not too expensive) for reviewing for the Part 107 exam and certification? What did you use to review and get certified?
Thanks in advance!

I've used Prepware Remote Pilot for my original certification and 2 recurrent certifications, scored well on all three. It is very inexpensive and does an excellent job covering the topics.
Prepware Remote Pilot for iOS
Prepware Remote Pilot for Android
Fly safe!
Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Gonna check this out. Also, is the prepware assuming that there is no previous flight experience? I know some drone pilots are also former or current aircraft pilots so they would already have the flying knowledge to understand concepts. I am looking for a prep that will be for newbies without any previous flight knowledge or experience. Regards.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am scheduled to take my Part 107 test this coming Thursday. I cannot recommend any commercial training as my personal learning style isn't suited to it. I went the "free route" and feel pretty comfortable going into the test as my practice tests are starting to score fairly well consistently. You can find commercial training sites for around $100 if that's the route you want to go. They're always offering specials. I think a lot depends on your current base of knowledge. If starting from ground zero and need to sit through 14 hour courses I'm sure someone here can recommend one. I don't have the patience for that. I've never done well with them in any subject. And as a "literal thinker" I get frustrated with online courses because I can't ask questions in real time.

For free I would start with Tony Northrup on YouTube. Get the FAA Part 107 study guide and perhaps start there. There are a lot of folks on this forum who provide invaluable help. Ruprecht Law has a for-pay course, but also offers a lot of free information.

What I have found extremely helpful and keeping my fingers crossed that they aren't far off from the actual test, are the numerous practice tests out there. [Edit: Yeah... What Ryan said above about the Prepware app. That's a good one among others]. If nothing else they help you find where your weaknesses are and can even take notes from the remarks from each missed question. The most challenging thing are learning to read the sectional maps. For me the practice tests seem to be the most valuable. I have about 10 pages of notes that I'm stuyding now in the last minutes before the test.

I am scheduled to take my Part 107 test this coming Thursday. I cannot recommend any commercial training as my personal learning style isn't suited to it. I went the "free route" and feel pretty comfortable going into the test as my practice tests are starting to score fairly well consistently. You can find commercial training sites for around $100 if that's the route you want to go. They're always offering specials. I think a lot depends on your current base of knowledge. If starting from ground zero and need to sit through 14 hour courses I'm sure someone here can recommend one. I don't have the patience for that. I've never done well with them in any subject. And as a "literal thinker" I get frustrated with online courses because I can't ask questions in real time.

For free I would start with Tony Northrup on YouTube. Get the FAA Part 107 study guide and perhaps start there. There are a lot of folks on this forum who provide invaluable help. Ruprecht Law has a for-pay course, but also offers a lot of free information.

What I have found extremely helpful and keeping my fingers crossed that they aren't far off from the actual test, are the numerous practice tests out there. [Edit: Yeah... What Ryan said above about the Prepware app. That's a good one among others]. If nothing else they help you find where your weaknesses are and can even take notes from the remarks from each missed question. The most challenging thing are learning to read the sectional maps. For me the practice tests seem to be the most valuable. I have about 10 pages of notes that I'm stuyding now in the last minutes before the test.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check out those videos. Good luck with your exam!

Thanks for this guide! Did you do your Part 107 cert yet or in the process of studying for the exam?
Our pilots have to recert every two years. The Tony Northrop video is what we use as a refresher.

Reactions: Luvs2Fly
I watched Tony Northrup a couple of times through, along with some other videos on sectional charts specifically and then just started taking 10-question tests repeatedly on the kingschools.com site. In a few days I felt very comfortable with the material and scheduled the exam. I passed with room to spare. Tony's lesson was really the one that gave me the confidence to believe I could pass without a paid course.

I watched Tony Northrup a couple of times through, along with some other videos on sectional charts specifically and then just started taking 10-question tests repeatedly on the kingschools.com site. In a few days I felt very comfortable with the material and scheduled the exam. I passed with room to spare. Tony's lesson was really the one that gave me the confidence to believe I could pass without a paid course.
Thanks Kyle! That's good information. Regards.

Our pilots have to recert every two years. The Tony Northrop video is what we use as a refresher.
Thanks! I've started watching it and it is very good. Very concise. I am jiust concerned that it is 3 years old and the FAA may have released new guidelines. For example, Tony mentioned the minimum age to fly a drone is 13 but I think FAA now says you have to be 16 years old to fly a drone.

Here is a screen shot from my iPad of some files I highly recommend. You can easily do a search but preface eace search with: FAA.GOV search data. Leave out ‘FAA -‘ that’s just my filing system.
The SECTIONAL CHART - Denver was used to help learn an actual chart.
I would say May 85% of the test questions are found in the FAA-G-8082-22 aka Study Guide.

For the Repprecht Law sample tests search preface with Rupprecht. Excellent source for anything drone legal.

Good Luck

All materials (except Rupprecht Law ) are found easily within the FAA.GOV www!
1601390934435.jpeg

I've watched a few segments of Tony's video especially when I was beginning my studying but never viewed the whole thing start to finish. I wish I had the patience to sit through even an hour of video. I like lessons that are shorter and more compartmentalized. I will try to go back and scan through some of the segments on Tony's tutorial. My learning style just isn't suited for video lessons if it goes much beyond 6 minutes though one or two 20 minute videos were ok as I watched them in 5 minute bursts of attention.

You have to be at least 13 to register a drone with the FAA and at least 16 to get the Part 107 certificate.
Thanks Kyle! I reviewed the FAA and you're right! 13 years old still the minimum so Tony N is still correct. I was watching this Youtube video that said otherwise so that was why it confused me. But I checked FAA and they did say minimum is 13. FAA Recreational Drone Registration - DroneRegistration.com

Reactions: Kyle76
Here is a screen shot from my iPad of some files I highly recommend. You can easily do a search but preface eace search with: FAA.GOV search data. Leave out ‘FAA -‘ that’s just my filing system.
The SECTIONAL CHART - Denver was used to help learn an actual chart.
I would say May 85% of the test questions are found in the FAA-G-8082-22 aka Study Guide.

For the Repprecht Law sample tests search preface with Rupprecht. Excellent source for anything drone legal.

Good Luck

All materials (except Rupprecht Law ) are found easily within the FAA.GOV www!
View attachment 114049
Wow! Thanks for these guides.

I used Pilot Institute (highly recommended); Greg is a great instructor. Also ASA Remote Pilot Prep from Amazon. That helped because it came with the testing supplement book that you get when you take the exam. I took mine is August and passed with a 97%, so pretty happy with it. I was so impressed with Greg (PI) I continued on and currently going thru PI for my Private Pilots certificate.

Don't get me wrong; Tony Northrups video is good but it is several years old. Also, it basically just goes thru typical FAA questions and answers but you will need to understand the theory behind the science if you want to pass.

I used Remote Pilot 101. Been studying off & on since June. Took the test today and scored 95%. It really does depend on how you learn. Jason's videos were bite-sized and covered what you need to get a solid understanding of the fundamentals as well as pass the test. The purchase also entitles you to re-certification use of the course along with updates every two years. There are courses that are more in depth but there is a balance between getting a masters degree in FAA regulations and learning what you need to pass the test and properly operate a SUAS for commercial purposes. Conversely I suspect some can watch a few videos, take a few practice exams, and pass the test without gaining much appreciation of what is needed to safely and legally operate. No doubt there are a few who could read the Pilots Handbook, Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge ,and pass with flying colors. Most, if not all, of the material is presented there. So, it really depends on what you need to best learn what's needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851