DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations for LED Strobe

While you can fly at night as a hobbyist, without restrictions (as yet), even part 107 pilots can't without a special waiver.
FAA overlooked this, but pretty sure they will fix it very soon, and night flying will only be available to part 107 with waivers.
So you're basically saying, us hobbyists should get all the night flying in now while the getting is good?

Are these strobes good for daytime use, to increase VLOS?

So you're basically saying, us hobbyists should get all the night flying in now while the getting is good?

Yes on #1 I feel !!
Get up safely and get some nice city lights shots etc.

VLOS for sure day time vision is remarkably imporved.
Very easy to find your drone where eyesight won't immediately, it's just too far out, or contrasting too much on background (hills, cloud etc).
Pretty important if VLOS rule starts to be enforced more (eg proactively in the US by LEOs).

Not sure they can actually enforce many rules to be honest, all or our relative air authorities with drone legislation seem to rely on reactive enforcement, and even then it's rare people breaking rules get penalised (unless involved and identified being responsible for a REALLY bad incident).

Night flying is no different to flying over 400', flying dangerously too close to people, or outside VLOS, and pretty sure you also have no flying above cloud / fog etc.

All other countries with similar rules to the US (and we all seem to be bringing in the same / very similar rules, at the same time) and pretty much ALL other countries with similar rules have a 'no flying at night' rule, apart from the US.

I can't see any possible reason (or the common sense behind), a trained, licenced drone pilot would have less restrictions in that area, than someone who's just come out of a drone shop (or had an internet delivery) and taking their drone up in a pitch black sky.

In general, night flying has one purpose, to get those beautiful city scapes lights in photos, and to a lesser extend video, though moving around at night is possibly many times more dangerous than a static photo shoot straight up and down from a safe point.

I agree, some will find night flying easier than others, personally, if you have something to orientate yourself on, and let's face it you aren't going to be flying at night without something to focus on, then with the maps and home locations on screen, and the altitude / distance readouts etc, you can get used to flying without too much trouble.

thank you for the reply. I can see my drone better at night and I know my area I fly in at night, the buildings etc... when I have more time I will add to this.

If you have a Part 107 Certification you can't fly under Part 107, And if you have a Part 107 Certificaion and want to fly at night. you can!!! just Not under Part 107 that gives you the option to sell your photos, etc......

If you have a Part 107 Certification you can't fly under Part 107, And if you have a Part 107 Certificaion and want to fly at night. you can!!! just Not under Part 107 that gives you the option to sell your photos, etc......
...and if you later decide to sell your night time photos shot recreationally, you MAY! Thumbswayup

Well the FAA can't enforce the rules because of lack of field agents. But...get caught by the locals who 'run it up the pole' to state and Federal authorities and you will be in a world of hurt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of LED Strobes...

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven