DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations for two-way radios for communicating with ATC or others during drone operations

jduddin91

Reactions
Looking for recommendations for how others have communicated with ATC facilities when close to airports or to broadcast personal flights when in the vicinity of an airport where notification would be preferred. Radio brands? Alternatives? Thanks in advance!

Looking for recommendations for how others have communicated with ATC facilities when close to airports or to broadcast personal flights when in the vicinity of an airport where notification would be preferred. Radio brands? Alternatives? Thanks in advance!
You aren’t allowed to contact ATC unless given specific instructions to. Typically they will have you call in if needed. You are welcome to get a radio if you’d like to listen in but you can’t broadcast without a license and generally they don’t want to be bothered by sUAS activity anyway. You have to avoid them and they don’t have to do anything so in theory there’s no reason for you to contact them other than to get authorization through LAANC or DroneZone.

Thank you for the clarification. With my reading and studying for the FAA Part 107 I guess I was misunderstanding some of the items I have been reading. Guess I didn't include that "minor" detail so maybe that changes the response.

As stated you only contact ATC if directed or it an Emergency! If directed they will give you a phone # to call. We don't want to clutter the radio with our chatter. Also if you're not "talking the lingo" it's going to really log jamb the air and cause problems.

By all means if you want to get one to LISTEN ONLY that's cool but unless it's a true Emergency do not transmit!!

Reactions: dirkclod and Dbez1
I echo the above comments about not transmitting to ATC. If you're in some remote Class G airspace, there might be some rare reason for you to transmit there, if nothing else to respond to a query about wind conditions or something.

ICOM is a robust brand of radio that's popular in the aviation, marine, and HAM worlds. I have an ICOM 2m walkie that I used when paragliding; it's on the HAM frequencies though. Midland might also make aviation radios, and they'd likely be a bit less expensive. Since you aren't supposed to transmit anyway, you could also buy a cheap scanner that covers the aviation frequencies.

Reactions: BigAl07
I echo the above comments about not transmitting to ATC. If you're in some remote Class G airspace, there might be some rare reason for you to transmit there, if nothing else to respond to a query about wind conditions or something.

ICOM is a robust brand of radio that's popular in the aviation, marine, and HAM worlds. I have an ICOM 2m walkie that I used when paragliding; it's on the HAM frequencies though. Midland might also make aviation radios, and they'd likely be a bit less expensive. Since you aren't supposed to transmit anyway, you could also buy a cheap scanner that covers the aviation frequencies.

I have had a couple of ICOMs and they performed very well and for a reasonable price. In fact our flight school used ICOM exclusively.

I've got an older version of the

Yaesu FTA-750L NAV-COM Aviation Transceiver with GPS​

and absolutely loved it when I was flying alot.

Reactions: jduddin91
Aircraft transceivers are only allowed to transmit when flying an airplane or helicopter. The FAA would immediately triangulate any rogue transmission, to a control tower or not. Please don’t consider it. The fine would be significant.

That said, I have an Icom A21 that has worked flawlessly for 20 years. It’s a good radio. Yaesu is good too I‘ve heard. These are 5watt max and the signal travels far because of the wavelength. It’s interesting to listen if you know the lingo, but don’t push the tx button (smile).

Thank you for the clarification. With my reading and studying for the FAA Part 107 I guess I was misunderstanding some of the items I have been reading. Guess I didn't include that "minor" detail so maybe that changes the response.
It’s the same for 107 pilots if that’s what you are asking

Reactions: BigAl07
I use Live ATC and find it interesting to listen to but unless you speak their lingo most are hard to understand and most conversations are from takeoff runways and approach landings. Its not like breaker breaker 19 if thats what you are looking for :)

I agree with all the precautions about transmitting to tower. However I had a church event 4.8 miles from our local tower near dusk. Having a 107 I requested a waiver 2 months in advance (pre LAANC). I also have my private ticket with instrument. The waiver never came and I went to the tower manager (small city) and explained my problem. He was fine. Date, start finish time don’t exceed 150 feet with the correct lighting. I covered the event and two weeks later received a two year waiver! The local tower team was very helpful and they appreciated the cooperation. Unusual and now LAANC has arrived not needed here. If needed they are there to help. This is NOT LAX. Size matters.

I appreciate all the input regarding this topic. Yes I probably misunderstood what I was reading when it mentioned "contacting" so I will continue to read through for my own understanding. I also Thank those who gave radio recommendations for monitoring of traffic.

Most of the info is correct. Tower would be expecting an N number on call up, from an aircraft of some type. They would be quite surprised and confused to get a call up from an individual with a drone.
The "immediate" triangulate comment amuses me though. Reminds me of the Brits back in the day with their vans and loop antennas out looking for rogue TV watchers without paying the government fee. The FAA has no such capability at most towers. And to think that the government does anything "immediately" is a stretch. I hold an ATP airplane and helicopter, and have been in avionics over 40 years...
Anyway, your coursework is good and it is to be applauded that you checked here before investing in an AM transceiver. A good scanner will allow listening to ATC and also air med freqs. to see what helos might be in the area. Best of luck with your flights.

Most of the info is correct. Tower would be expecting an N number on call up, from an aircraft of some type. They would be quite surprised and confused to get a call up from an individual with a drone.
The "immediate" triangulate comment amuses me though. Reminds me of the Brits back in the day with their vans and loop antennas out looking for rogue TV watchers without paying the government fee. The FAA has no such capability at most towers. And to think that the government does anything "immediately" is a stretch. I hold an ATP airplane and helicopter, and have been in avionics over 40 years...
Anyway, your coursework is good and it is to be applauded that you checked here before investing in an AM transceiver. A good scanner will allow listening to ATC and also air med freqs. to see what helos might be in the area. Best of luck with your flights.
It took awhile but I was able to contact FAA and FCC about pursuing rogue transmissions. They do indeed have the radio gear to locate unauthorized transmissions and do so from time to time. Lady at FCC says that the Coast Guard triangulates marine radio transmissions on a regular basis, looking for vessels in distress, and tracking drug dealers. This all come under enforcement and these agencies are reticent to give out information about their techniques. Understandable. Apparently the frequencies used by the public for two way radio are pretty jammed up, so from time to time the FCC allocates more, but there are just so many freqs to go around. Example: When a construction crew has to wait to talk they get frustrated from the delays and resort to aircraft radios. They pick freqs that aren’t being used in the area and talk on those. Clear sailing, until the FAA picks it up.

In the example above about contacting an ATC tower for a drone flight, the tower would warn off the caller immediately and ask that they not use that frequency. If the transmissions continued, the feds would try and locate the radio and its user. They have the means to do so, though I‘d guess that it’s rarely done.

Happy New Year

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne