DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations on a small indoor practice drone

rmb

Reactions
I am a comercial 107 pilot and I find that you can get rusty pretty quickly. As I live in the Northeast and the weather is about to get bad it will be hard to stay crispy in the controls. What I was wondering is if anyone can suggest a good SMALL indoor drone to stay in shape. I don't care about a great camera or flips and tricks, just a solid responsive drone that I can do some precision flying in my living room. Also I would want it to have removable batteries so that I can get 2 or 3.

Thanks,

rb

Reactions: Cruithnig
Depends how big your living room is. I would say for a smaller room, a Tello with controller. A bigger living room, maybe a Spark with controller.

Whichever drone you choose, props guards are a must indoors.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I second (or third??) the Tello. Its cheap, very rugged, and its only like 80 bucks right now on sale. The Spark, I would probably not get just because its still got a set of very powerful motors that can slice and dice walls, appliances...you..the Tello is weak enough that it won't do any damage to anything, plus it has the prop guards built in. secondarily, it actually flies pretty well outside in no/light wind.

Looks like we're in agreement.
Ryze Tello
I've had mine since the spring and I'm a huge fan, not just indoors but depending on the wind outside too. Also remember by weight it's legally a toy so you can fly it anywhere. Here's a link for the whole kit on sale

Ryze TechTello Quadcopter Boost Combo

Real Flight 8. Much better than flying inside for practice, IMHO

The problem is that any practice you would get would not really compare to flying a Mavic with GPS lock. Because a drone without a gps will be effected by wind, getting to close to a wall, all sortd of things. So you will have to make constant stick adjustments to correct it.
I have a little Syma x21W $40 ish if I remember It is fum to fly inside Has an RC and uses a smart phone as a display. It does have altitude hold, But, it is NOTHING like flying a Mavic outside with GPS lock. SO not a real valuable Mavic trainer. Unless you want to fly the Mavic in Atti mode.

I disagree about a non-GPS drone not being a good trainer for GPS. If you can practice and get your reflexes sharp foe stable flight during instability, imagine how stable you'll be with stability.
Granted small spaces won't let you practice cool photography moves, but it should help with fast flight moves.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Hi there, believe it or not also from the north east and was about ask the same question.
The weather is bad and I need something to practice with before I book and go for my flight assessment...
Have to admit I like the look of the Tello..

The problem is that any practice you would get would not really compare to flying a Mavic with GPS lock. Because a drone without a gps will be effected by wind, getting to close to a wall, all sortd of things. So you will have to make constant stick adjustments to correct it.
I have a little Syma x21W $40 ish if I remember It is fum to fly inside Has an RC and uses a smart phone as a display. It does have altitude hold, But, it is NOTHING like flying a Mavic outside with GPS lock. SO not a real valuable Mavic trainer. Unless you want to fly the Mavic in Atti mode.
In real flying many flight simulators are more sensitive than the real aircraft That way when you get proficient at flying the sim, you will be even better at flying the real aircraft. Therefore, because it is more work to fly the non GPS model, does not make it worse for you when flying the GPS controlled model, it makes you better, because you now have the quick reflexes acquired, so makes you a better flyer.

We just bought 6 tellos to teach kids in school how to code, fantastic little tools they are.

Reactions: Cruithnig
We just bought 6 tellos to teach kids in school how to code, fantastic little tools they are.

What coding can you do with the Tello - very interested in this. Babybgoode has asked for his first drone for Christmas and if there is stuff like coding that can be incorporated it makes it a tempting proposition.

Reactions: fozzzy
Weve added the extra blocks into scratch, dji did send me the sdk for python but our kids are primary age so a little beyond them. We also use Droneblocks app which appears to be the most stable option

Reactions: dannybgoode
What coding can you do with the Tello - very interested in this. Babybgoode has asked for his first drone for Christmas and if there is stuff like coding that can be incorporated it makes it a tempting proposition.

Quick update buddy, I’ve had two classes this week, first were 6/ 7 yr olds and the second 9/10s. I’ve mapped the lessons to the ICT primary curriculum but the kids went mental, they absolutely loved the TELLO and we’re just about to order another 12 lol

Reactions: dannybgoode
Quick update buddy, I’ve had two classes this week, first were 6/ 7 yr olds and the second 9/10s. I’ve mapped the lessons to the ICT primary curriculum but the kids went mental, they absolutely loved the TELLO and we’re just about to order another 12 lol

I’ve bit the bullet. Mrs Danny send the Boost combo was too expensive so I ordered a different one off Amazon.

Somehow amazon sent me some hair clippers instead so I took that as a sign, rebelled and bought the Boost combo anyway then told my wife what I’d done. Luckily she was ok with it!

Can’t wait for Christmas now :)

Reactions: fozzzy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial