DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended app for Android for Mapping (acquisition only)

Glasswalker

Reactions
I'm looking to use an app to acquire images for mapping/surveying.

I'm planning on trying out OpenDroneMap: Opendronemap by OpenDroneMap
which allows me to process images into orthomosaics or 3D Maps/point clouds.

But I need to capture/acquire the photos in the first place.

I know apps like Pix4D and DroneDeploy are popular, but those appear to be tied to their respective cloud services.

I'm looking for an app that lets me use a map, draw the areas I want to survey, and setup the grid pattern to fly, and it will automate doing photography at the right angles/spacing/etc. Just like DroneDeploy or Pix4d. But I just want the photo files when it's done to run through OpenDroneMap.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone tried this with either of the popular apps? (DroneDeploy for example looks good, and has an option to sync to AirData for example). Can I just turn off the cloud syncing and use it to capture images on the drone?

Can Litchi do this kind of mission?

Thanks!

DropDeploy just captures the photos for you - you have to upload them after you pull them from your drone anyway. You should be able to do the same thing, but just put them through OpenDronemap. I might take the sample set I made trying out DroneDeploy and run then through OpenDronemap now just to see how it goes.

Altizure by default creates 5 grid patterns. The first is a direct over head grid, the rest are rectangular grid patterns adjacent to the overhead but shot at an angle of your choosing, the default being 40 degrees. The grids are adjustable but can only be square or rectangular, no other four sided shape. You can also adjust the overlap. Free to download the app and process with altizure or anyone else. It costs to download the results, but you can view them from the altizure cloud foc.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01