DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended Drone Tablet for Air2S for Videography, Photography & Minor Commercial (DroneDeploy) Usage for Start-Up

Reactions
Hello together,
I started flying early 2020 with a DJI Mini 2, making pictures and videos from our Europe travels for IG and private use.
Since a few weeks I'm looking into starting a drone side hustle.

I was thinking to upgrade to a DJI Air2S, Mavic 3 Classic or eventually to a Mavic 3E (To have more commercial job options), but not sure whether I should go straight with the more expensive drone Mav3 ET or maybe there is a better more suitable option out there.
--->The only problem I see with the Air2S is, that I would need to purchase the RC Pro Controller in order to be able to use 3rd Party Software for mapping/surveying, etc. (This is the information from the DJI Website).

-My plan is to start out with only photos and videos for Real-Estate, Roof-Inspection, Marketing Videos for apartment buildings, etc. - Residential & Commercial and then in the future include mapping/surveying into the service.

I would be happy for any advice from all of you, since I'm very unsure what drone I should buy.

Thank you all
Alex

--->The only problem I see with the Air2S is, that I would need to purchase the RC Pro Controller in order to be able to use 3rd Party Software for mapping/surveying, etc. (This is the information from the DJI Website)...
I believe that’s in comparison with the RC Controller, which doesn’t support 3rd party software.

You can run 3rd party on your phone or tablet when using the RC-N1 controller with Air 2s.

The Air 2s is a great drone, arguably the best photo-video bang for the buck, most affordable with the RC-N1.

Whether you should get a Mavic 3 to start is a tougher question to answer. If you have the funds some would say stepping up to the M3 avoids having to buy twice. On the other hand, a commercial pilot would want a backup drone too (A2S?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander Ditz
I believe that’s in comparison with the RC Controller, which doesn’t support 3rd party software.

You can run 3rd party on your phone or tablet when using the RC-N1 controller with Air 2s.

The Air 2s is a great drone, arguably the best photo-video bang for the buck, most affordable with the RC-N1.

Whether you should get a Mavic 3 to start is a tougher question to answer. If you have the funds some would say stepping up to the M3 avoids having to buy twice. On the other hand, a commercial pilot would want a backup drone too (A2S?).
Thank you for the information, you are right. Makes more sense to go with the RC-N1 instead the newer RC Controllers with built in screen.

I wanted the Mav3 but since the Classic has no option for 3-parties and the Enterprise is only good for commercial purposes not so much for photography and videography, I will stick with the Air2S. And see how it will go :) till getting a backup drone.

Thanks again :)

If you are serious about starting a drone business, I would buy the Mavic 3 with the RC Pro. It will be a much better long term drone than one of the lesser models. It also looks more professional if you want to look like a pro and not a hobbyist. I know this sounds like a nitpicky thing but as Andre Agassi once said in a commercial "Image is Everything".

If you are serious about starting a drone business, I would buy the Mavic 3 with the RC Pro. It will be a much better long term drone than one of the lesser models. It also looks more professional if you want to look like a pro and not a hobbyist. I know this sounds like a nitpicky thing but as Andre Agassi once said in a commercial "Image is Everything".
Hi Eagle Eye, appreciate the good point.
You mean the Mavic 3 Classic or the Mavic 3 Enterprise?

IF you mean the Mav3 Classic with the RC Pro Controller, the use of 3rd Party apps would be possible?
I was under the impression the Mavic 3 Classic doesn't have the option for mapping.

If you mean the Mav3 Enterprise, it's per my research not good for videography & photography services (Like Real Estate, etc.)

Hi Eagle Eye, appreciate the good point.
You mean the Mavic 3 Classic or the Mavic 3 Enterprise?

IF you mean the Mav3 Classic with the RC Pro Controller, the use of 3rd Party apps would be possible?
I was under the impression the Mavic 3 Classic doesn't have the option for mapping.

If you mean the Mav3 Enterprise, it's per my research not good for videography & photography services (Like Real Estate, etc.)
It would depend on if you want to do mapping and other more sophisticated jobs. If you do then, yes the Enterprise would be a better choice. If not the Original Mavic 3 (with a Zoom lens) would be the best choice in my opinion.

I agree you can buy a refurbished drone from DJI or EBay DJI that will have a warranty and the option to upgrade the warranty. You will save enough to by extras like batteries. It’s better to save and by the better drone than
A. Turn down business because you don’t have the equipment.
B Try to sell your old equipment as everyone is trying to go new.
By the way once you by a controller with a screen you will never use a phone again.(opps you may need it for a hot spot) lol

I agree you can buy a refurbished drone from DJI or EBay DJI that will have a warranty and the option to upgrade the warranty. You will save enough to by extras like batteries. It’s better to save and by the better drone than
By the way once you by a controller with a screen you will never use a phone again.(opps you may need it for a hot spot) lol
Appreciate, valuable advice for sure. Worth considering and I'm pretty sure the RC Pro would be something never to be missed 😂.

Need to rethink my plans now.
Should it be the allrounder Air2s, which allows me to do videography, photography and some minor mapping or straight the Mav3E and focus on surveying, mapping and inspections.

Anyways appreciate all the help and feedback :).

@Alexander Ditz , I can say from personal experience having an Air 2S running apps on an iPad Air 2 (I know ... lots of '2's) its a good setup. Easy to work with offline setting up missions, etc and easy to make changes in the field too.
Thanks (No worries with the 2s :)).
Are you doing mapping services, and if so what software do you use for mapping?
I think DroneDeploy is quite expensive for the start.

I do some mapping and you are right. All of the mapping software is expensive. The grid planning and taking pictures isnt expensive, its the image processing.
I've had pretty good luck using Microsoft's Image Composite Editor to stitch images together. Its intent is for panoramic images, but it does good on ground shots too. Best of all, its free.

I do some mapping and you are right. All of the mapping software is expensive. The grid planning and taking pictures isnt expensive, its the image processing.
I've had pretty good luck using Microsoft's Image Composite Editor to stitch images together. Its intent is for panoramic images, but it does good on ground shots too. Best of all, its free.
I will look into Microsofts Image Composite Editor. Sounds interesting, especially since its for free :), thanks for the tipp.

Reactions: Vasco60
I agree with buying the smart controller. I've never looked back after buying mine. Might want to edit your by to "buy", by the way.

I use the Feelworld 7 inch as a monitor (Not a tablet, just a larger super bright screen) to see what the camera is seeing on my Mavic 2 Pro. It is a 2,200NIT monitor and does not suffer from over heating. You might look into the Super Bright screens offer by Feelworld monitors, I think they now do a 10 inch. Remember though, these are monitors and not tablets. I plug it directly from my HDMI out on my SC to the HDMI in on the monitor.

I use the iPad mini 6 and when doing professional jobs I have taken out the 12.9 inch iPad Pro 5th Generation. The 2000 nit screen makes the picture look gereat. Everything works on this with the M1 processor.

I use the iPad mini 6 and when doing professional jobs I have taken out the 12.9 inch iPad Pro 5th Generation. The 2000 nit screen makes the picture look gereat. Everything works on this with the M1 processor.
Ummm, I think you got those NITS very wrong. It does not have 2,000 NITS, no where even close it only has 1,000 NITS with a limited time of peak brightness of 1,600 NITS. And at it's very brightest NITS that only lasts until it starts the get hot, then it begins to reduce the NITS as it gets hotter, as do all iPads and iPhones.

This is what your iPad really has as far as NITS are concerned:

The 12.9-inch model, in contrasts, boasts mini LED HDR display called the Liquid Retina XDR display built in with a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, full screen brightness of 1,000 nits and a peak brightness of 1,600 nits (HDR).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54