DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Record entire flight or just set-up shots?

brew99

Reactions
Beginner here with a MM2 and wondering what is generally the best way for recording video. I know this might be subjective, but is it generally better to record an entire flight (4K in my case), or set-up for a shot then record? I have a 128GB SD, and also have it set to record cache to phone.

If I record the entire flight, then there is much more post processing to wade through to find the desired shots, but then you are also guaranteed not to miss anything. If doing separate shots, then less wading through I would presume. Keep in mind my PC is old and I would need to work with optimized/proxy media also.

flying and post processing video is all new to me. I’m trying to use resolve 17.

As you get more seasoned , you just shoot what you need. If you have windows look into getting a retail copy of the Adobe Premiere CC its a good value and an easier learning curve than resolve.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and land on the Water.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Adobe Premiere Elements might be another good choice if you don't need all the capabilities of the full Premiere version.

Phantomrain, do you have a good source for older Adobe products? I've been using CS5 for years and it would be good to update a bit, but without going to one of the new monthly fee options.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I definitely agree with bushie, particularly flying a mini 2. Getting proper exposure can be tricky and bumbling into it happens often. The wildlife thing happens to me often as well. Once you learn how to “scrub” through footage quickly bigger clips only represent more opportunities.
Learning resolve is aPITA. Using resolve is awesome! I toughed it out and am glad but if you just want simpler videos they all work. One move on resolve is the playback menu item, can play back at .5 or .25 resolution. It helps.

Thanks for all the tips. There were some very good point brought up and I think I will just record it all. I haven’t settled on resolve, and will play around with a few of the free ones also. I’m currently trying Kdenlive.

The biggest requirement for me is that the software allows me to work with optimized or proxy media as my laptop is not up to snuff directly working with the 4K media.

Thanks for all the tips. There were some very good point brought up and I think I will just record it all. I haven’t settled on resolve, and will play around with a few of the free ones also. I’m currently trying Kdenlive.

The biggest requirement for me is that the software allows me to work with optimized or proxy media as my laptop is not up to snuff directly working with the 4K media.
Resolve is an awesome editing application, but it does have a bit of a learning curve. Once you master the essentials I would say it's about the same as Premiere. I've used both. The thing that makes Resolve the clear winner for me is that the free version is fine for most editing that you'll ever do. It is not dumbed down, and you'll get probably 90% of what Davinci Resolve Studio (Pro version) can do. One thing about Resolve that is important to know is that it relies heavily on the graphics card in your computer. If you don't have a reasonably good one, you may have a hard time with it. While you can generate proxy files, I've found that you still need a good graphics card even with proxies. But given that there is a very functional free version of Resolve I would recommend giving it a shot.

As you get more seasoned , you just shoot what you need. If you have windows look into getting a retail copy of the Adobe Premiere CC its a good value and an easier learning curve than resolve.
It is rare that I would challenge anything you say Phantom, but even the little that I know about Premier I would say that the learning curve is six of one, half dozen of another. I'd not really done any video (in 35 years since VHS), failing to grasp "less intense" editing programs". I was able to produce my first edited video within two weeks of opening Davinci Resolve for the first time- which included revisiting the site twice for more footage [I had only just gotten my Mini 1].

I would advise NOT going with Premier to start unless you are willing to let Adobe pick your pocket with steep fees every month forever. They're happy to rent you their software... whether you use it that month or not. No thank you. Then you're back at square one, learning another editing program. Davinci Resolve (not studio) is FREE and the need for the paid Studio version is marginal for most.

It is rare that I would challenge anything you say Phantom, but even the little that I know about Premier I would say that the learning curve is six of one, half dozen of another. I'd not really done any video (in 35 years since VHS), failing to grasp "less intense" editing programs". I was able to produce my first edited video within two weeks of opening Davinci Resolve for the first time- which included revisiting the site twice for more footage [I had only just gotten my Mini 1].

I would advise NOT going with Premier to start unless you are willing to let Adobe pick your pocket with steep fees every month forever. They're happy to rent you their software... whether you use it that month or not. No thank you. Then you're back at square one, learning another editing program. Davinci Resolve (not studio) is FREE and the need for the paid Studio version is marginal for most.

I never took to the nodes and i spent a week, trying to grasp that concept , but i took to the Adobe Premiere in a day, :p

I do agree with that the Monthly is not the way to go. I picked up the Adobe Winnows Developer Team Retail Package
for Windows you get the Adobe Premiere / Photoshop and Lightroom for $ 225 lifetime keys.

Comes on a Retail Disc and you just have sign up an agree to allowing for reports from your computer . had it a few years now , very nice and updates every year.

The Mac Adobe Developer program has been sold out. for over a year , sadly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

I never took to the nodes and i spent a week, trying to grasp that concept , but i took to the Adobe Premiere in a day, :p

I do agree with that the Monthly is not the way to go. I picked up the Adobe Winnows Developer Team Retail Package
for Windows you get the Adobe Premiere / Photoshop and Lightroom for $ 225 lifetime keys.

Comes on a Retail Disc and you just have sign up an agree to allowing for reports from your computer . had it a few years now , very nice and updates every year.

The Mac Adobe Developer program has been sold out. for over a year , sadly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Ahh... Nodes. Once the basics are explained it becomes more simplified. I was confused initially at first. If like Photoshop, Premier probably uses "layers". Think of nodes as layers; layers that can be stacked or intertwined in different ways. Here is a screen shot of one way you can stack nodes. I just made this up to illustrate how it works.

From the images below (after the "turned off" node), one is the node for the LUT, and then Exposure/contrast adjustments get stacked on that and then hue/sat gets stacked on that. You can do all of it in one node if you like, but stacking nodes gives more control. The scopes, bottom right can help guide you. I oversaturated the image intentionally for the demonstration to show in the last node that it saturation in the settings beneath the wheels.

As I said, it's all a matter of familiarizing one's self with the protocols of the given software. For whatever reason you hadn't stumbled upon the explanation of how nodes work in a manner that your brain could work with. But the basics off nodes is simple stuff. Where it gets complex is in Fusion where you can do crazy advanced stuff. I haven't quite yet grasped Fusion. But for basic editing without going crazy Davinci Resolve is actually pretty simple, once you familiarize yourself with what all the different icons mean. I would imagine that Final Cut would be the easiest for a beginner to grasp. But you have to be in the Mac eco system for FCP, which has it's own premium... though the Mac Mini seems like a heck of a deal that also works extremely well with Davinci.

1627238282238.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada