DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recreational Flying in Uganda

Iliketodrone

Reactions
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Northern Uganda in early November and am hoping to do some filming outside of Gulu. This is all recreational with a Mavic Pro, but I'm struggling to find reliable information online about Ugandan regulations, and my emails to the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda, and the Ugandan Revenue Service, have gone unanswered. Does anyone have experience with Ugandan UAV laws/regulations that might be able to help me make sure I go through the proper steps to ensure my recreational flying is legal?

Thanks,
Dustin

Similar to my situation, I requested similar information from the forum here, for over a year preceding my anticipated trip to Zambia and Madagascar in this past month.No one ever replied. I wrote to the authorities numerous times with no replies from their web site. I wrote Civil Aviation in Madagascar and filled out the French forms but never heard anything. So when the time to make the decision to either take or not take my Mavic Air, I went ahead and packed it into my camera bag with 3 batteries. I got a cursory inspection at customs in both Zambia and Madagascar but no confiscation, etc. On Zambia safari I was not permitted by my safari guide to use the drone outside of the park or even above the camp. I was definitely not permitted to use on Safari. So in Zambia, I never got to fly. On the flight to Madagascar and customs, no problems at customs or with the scanner. I walked freely out of the the terminal. I did manage too fly several times at legal places but not in any national park. My opinion is that I would take it and fly if the situation allows it.

Similar to my situation, I requested similar information from the forum here, for over a year preceding my anticipated trip to Zambia and Madagascar in this past month.No one ever replied. I wrote to the authorities numerous times with no replies from their web site. I wrote Civil Aviation in Madagascar and filled out the French forms but never heard anything. So when the time to make the decision to either take or not take my Mavic Air, I went ahead and packed it into my camera bag with 3 batteries. I got a cursory inspection at customs in both Zambia and Madagascar but no confiscation, etc. On Zambia safari I was not permitted by my safari guide to use the drone outside of the park or even above the camp. I was definitely not permitted to use on Safari. So in Zambia, I never got to fly. On the flight to Madagascar and customs, no problems at customs or with the scanner. I walked freely out of the the terminal. I did manage too fly several times at legal places but not in any national park. My opinion is that I would take it and fly if the situation allows it.
Thanks for the reply Dale. That helps validate my assumption based on the few other stories I’ve come across. I won’t be in a national park or near any cities so hoping I have similar luck as you.

Thanks for the reply Dale. That helps validate my assumption based on the few other stories I’ve come across. I won’t be in a national park or near any cities so hoping I have similar luck as you.
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Northern Uganda in early November and am hoping to do some filming outside of Gulu. This is all recreational with a Mavic Pro, but I'm struggling to find reliable information online about Ugandan regulations, and my emails to the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda, and the Ugandan Revenue Service, have gone unanswered. Does anyone have experience with Ugandan UAV laws/regulations that might be able to help me make sure I go through the proper steps to ensure my recreational flying is legal?

Thanks,
Dustin
Dear Dustin:

Forget trying to get permission- just pack it in your camera bag, and call it a camera. That worked for me but I had the little Mavic Air.
I had this additional thought- I have been to Uganda as part of a gorilla trekking trip to Rwanda, Uganda, and Democratic Republic of the Congo.(State Department is now prohibiting DRC travel due to guerrilla kidnappings). - we had a glorious trip to Murchison Falls and stayed by the Victoria Nile River at both the Parra Hotel and Baker's Lodge. Did several trips up river to view the amazingly gorgeous and powerful Murchison Falls- a sight I shall never forget.Also saw the rare shoebill stork. I would imagine you could possibly try the drone there, although it would be up to your guide. At the river crossing in Paraa there are private motorboat guides for a few dollars to take you to the falls so you can see it from the bottom, (as well as a drive to view from the top). Both views are amazing. As far I could discern, there is very little in the way of law enforcement there and no one really cares a lot about drones anyway there, if , in fact, they have ever even seen one. They would be amazed by it I am sure. (Our trip was inclusive of lowland gorillas in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda gorillas, and Uganda). I've enclosed a few images in low resolution for this forum. Hope this helps. Of you have further questions just PM me. (personal message).

Dale Davis
Miami

Attachments

• 097-MurchisonFalls-Uganda-Top-GOR_1398.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 107-MurchisonFalls,Uganda-GOR_1290.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 8.27.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 8.27.42 PM.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
Dear Dustin:

Forget trying to get permission- just pack it in your camera bag, and call it a camera. That worked for me but I had the little Mavic Air.
I had this additional thought- I have been to Uganda as part of a gorilla trekking trip to Rwanda, Uganda, and Democratic Republic of the Congo.(State Department is now prohibiting DRC travel due to guerrilla kidnappings). - we had a glorious trip to Murchison Falls and stayed by the Victoria Nile River at both the Parra Hotel and Baker's Lodge. Did several trips up river to view the amazingly gorgeous and powerful Murchison Falls- a sight I shall never forget.Also saw the rare shoebill stork. I would imagine you could possibly try the drone there, although it would be up to your guide. At the river crossing in Paraa there are private motorboat guides for a few dollars to take you to the falls so you can see it from the bottom, (as well as a drive to view from the top). Both views are amazing. As far I could discern, there is very little in the way of law enforcement there and no one really cares a lot about drones anyway there, if , in fact, they have ever even seen one. They would be amazed by it I am sure. (Our trip was inclusive of lowland gorillas in Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda gorillas, and Uganda). I've enclosed a few images in low resolution for this forum. Hope this helps. Of you have further questions just PM me. (personal message).

Dale Davis
Miami
Incredible pics of the falls! The second really conveys the raw power.

Just a few words of warning:
* the North of Uganda is an area with increased security issues. you do not want to get arrested for spying.
* wildlife reacts ferociously to oversized buzzing insects. the rules about not disturbing animals should be strictly observed.
In other words, don't mess with either
gorillas or guerillas...

Just got mine bailed out of drone jail.

Judging by the number of drones in there a lot of people are unsuccessful in trying to sneak one in.

aa5c144e2d74a0b3943415246f45bbb7.jpg
Just got mine out of drone jail too! Had no luck registering it or getting it through. I spent a month and a half emailing people, companies, and government agencies. The Civil Aviation Authority, Uganda Revenue Agency, and Ministry of Defense did not respond to multiple emails. I traded emails with a few drone pilots in Uganda, but they all recommended hiring someone, which wasn’t necessary for me since I was just flying recreationally.

To anyone who comes across this in the future - hope you have better luck than I did!

They know what they're looking for.

The only way you're going to get it in is if it's on your person as all your bags will get scanned by customs before you can leave the baggage hall. ;)
Yea.... but what about the scan of carry-on items when you leave?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580