DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Red and yellow bands

They are the flight paths for taking off and landing aircraft , the extended light gray areas that’s along the same directions of the yellow and orange is also the direction of taking off and landing aircraft , the difference is manned aircraft won’t be flying below the 400 feet where we are allowed to fly up to... that’s why it’s gray, inside the yellow and orange areas you will have to get it unlocked toeven fly in those areas ...in the gray areas you will not have to be unlocked to fly into gray areas it’s a ⚠️ warning ... that’s my basic understanding from my airline pilot friend ....

They are the flight paths for taking off and landing aircraft , the extended light gray areas that’s along the same directions of the yellow and orange is also the direction of taking off and landing aircraft , the difference is manned aircraft won’t be flying below the 400 feet where we are allowed to fly up to... that’s why it’s gray, inside the yellow and orange areas you will have to get it unlocked toeven fly in those areas ...in the gray areas you will not have to be unlocked to fly into gray areas it’s a [emoji3544] warning ... that’s my basic understanding from my airline pilot friend ....

I figured it was runways but then i looked again and what i said sounds right

Reactions: MyDroneCMH
Reactions: Fearless Flight
in case anyone is interested, those areas In ATC-speak are called approach and departure "corridors". If you know the direction of the wind, (and of course, you should,) you can probably determine which corridor is being used on any given day. On the takeoff side, the crew will climb quickly for noise-abatement reasons so that side will rarely be an issue. On the approach end, using 300 feet per mile, you can get pretty close to the glideslope altitude (where the landing aircraft will be.)

Here is an example of an ILS approach (Instrument Landing System) to Memphis runway 36L. (For those who aren't aware, runway designations are determined by their magnetic heading +/- ten degrees.) The "feather" you see pointing north along the runway centerline is the path the aircraft will follow for landing. Down below is the "profile" view of the approach and here you can see the altitudes during the descent to landing. So those blue/gray areas on the Go4 map correspond to these "feathers" and will be depicted for every runway that is used for takeoff and landing. BTW, this is a Jeppesen "approach plate."

ils-36l-mem.jpg

in case anyone is interested, those areas In ATC-speak are called approach and departure "corridors". If you know the direction of the wind, (and of course, you should,) you can probably determine which corridor is being used on any given day. On the takeoff side, the crew will climb quickly for noise-abatement reasons so that side will rarely be an issue. On the approach end, using 300 feet per mile, you can get pretty close to the glideslope altitude (where the landing aircraft will be.)

Here is an example of an ILS approach (Instrument Landing System) to Memphis runway 36L. (For those who aren't aware, runway designations are determined by their magnetic heading +/- ten degrees.) The "feather" you see pointing north along the runway centerline is the path the aircraft will follow for landing. Down below is the "profile" view of the approach and here you can see the altitudes during the descent to landing. So those blue/gray areas on the Go4 map correspond to these "feathers" and will be depicted for every runway that is used for takeoff and landing. BTW, this is a Jeppesen "approach plate."

View attachment 61831

Good stuff KB. Takes me back a bit although I never had to use these because I never made it past VFR.

I hear ya, Ken, getting that Instrument ticket takes a long time and a lot of money if you don't get trained by Uncle Sam. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Hi KMB,

I agree it is a lot of time and money (I had a lot less then, of both) but my primary reason was more about fun. IFR seemed like a lot more work and stress and not as much fun and since my only motivation for learning to fly was fun it didn’t make sense for me.

Thanks for all of your contributions to this great forum.

Ken

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661