DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Red or white?...sounds like wine

Geoff_C

Reactions
I'm about to purchase the Mavic Air Fly More Combo having enjoyed the Spark for 10 months or so, but I would really appreciate some help choosing between the Flame Red or Arctic White. Which in your experience would be more visible at 100 yards/meters? I'm leaning towards the red because it looks stunning, but concerned I won't be able to pick it up at distance.

Reactions: bullbloke
Up in the air, none of them since the bottom is black ;) I think there's even a topic around here somewhere where people discuss how invisible the Air is even while being up close.
However, in case you lose it or crash it into a tree or bush, red obviously is easier to spot. I chose for white simply because it looked a little more neutral. But if you like the red color, go for it!

Alternatively, you could decide to purchase the black one and stick a bright colored wrapgrade onto it.

Note beyond a certain distance they all look like black dots in the air so when flying colour is something of a moot point for visibility.

Personally I would go for the 'Black', this is by far the easiest to put ANY colour wrap on which is something I would advise you do anyway to protect it.

I have the white and all the white edges show after putting on a wrap, does not look great tbh. This would not happen with the black as the edges fall back into the rest of the drone. Just a thought!

EDIT: Do not purchase based on what may be visible at a distance as it makes zero difference! If you must chose based on looks then do it on how it looks when you are holding it as you will not see the colours once it is in the air. But as mentioned I would drop a skin/wrap on it anyway so you can make it any colour you want.

I went with white thinking that it should withstand being in the hot sun longer. It's also a matte finish and seemed more durable than the other two.

Apparently birds don't like red, which would be a plus.

The black scratches more easily, or so I have read anyway.

Visibility would be the least of my concerns, personally. As soon as they get a little ways away from you, it doesn't really matter what color it is because they all look the same and you're viewing it from the bottom or side anyway, not the top :)

Red is more visible on more terrain types if you ever have to go looking for it and yes, I think it looks way better than either of the other 2 colors. But then, I drive a red vehicle, bike, and lawnmower so....

Thanks to you all for your useful suggestions. Much appreciated. Having had a white Spark, I think I'll try the Flame Red Air, although I take your point about white reflecting the heat, but being in the UK this is not such a problem!

Red is a good choice Thumbswayup

I have choosen for...red, when I have to searching them in crash places, I hope I can see the MA better.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I ordered the Flame Red at lunchtime last Thursday on the DJI website and it was delivered the next morning - great service. It's beautiful. Only trouble is the weather has been lousy since I got it and it sits on my desk saying "fly me fly me fly me!"

Keep them on the ground, when the weather are not good to fly! Succe with you new bird!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo