DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registration # ???

Capt.Jim

Reactions
Registered with FAA, paid the $5 fee... Also as a licensed Private Pilot I completed the required course and passed the test printed out the certificate... Now where is the tail # I am supposed to put on my drone?

Registered with FAA, paid the $5 fee... Also as a licensed Private Pilot I completed the required course and passed the test printed out the certificate... Now where is the tail # I am supposed to put on my drone?

Yes, somewhere that is accessible if someone else finds it. Under battery works. I was thinking about finding some small letters and numbers that stick on. Just have not got around to it yet

Thank you for your response but;

Sorry for me asking in a way that I wasn't intending...

I didn't mean where on the drone...... I meant where is the # FAA assigned to my drone for registering it...???
I did not received an email saying your new drone reg # is XYZ1234ABC please put this number on your UAS kind of email or anything at the end of the registration process.

I think I've found it if it's FA3AXXXXXX..... Whewww, leave it to government to turn a simple matter into a complicated mess...
Thanks guys..

Reactions: Tom-Air
I think I've found it if it's FA3AXXXXXX..... Whewww, leave it to government to turn a simple matter into a complicated mess...
Thanks guys..

I have to ask - in what way did you find that to be a complicated mess? It seems completely straightforward to me.

Reactions: pvs and Joebie
Thanks guys..

Just checking - I assume that you are also aware that to get a Part 107 license you have to take your test certificate to your local FSDO.

I am also new to all of this. I went to faa.gov then clicked on a 'register online' link that then took me to faadronezone.faa.gov where I filled in all all of the info for the 336 and paid my $5 for three years. I got my FA.... number. Part of the info they needed was the model number and serial number of my drone. Then, in looking at different threads and postings in this forum, some members are explaining to newbies that you are not registering your specific drone, you are registering your name and that your registration applies to each drone you may own in the future. Some have even suggested that if the website is asking for a serial number on your drone, it is probably a bogus website. So, can anyone tell me if I was on the right site or what the real facts are on the registration?

Just went back and logged in to FAA site. You are exactly right. I did register 107. I would try to fix it online, but there doesn't seem to be a tab to transfer info to 336 and cancel the 107, only a tab to add a 336 registration. Would I do that and then just let the 107 expire? And why does it let people register 107 without the proof that you have qualified? I'll probably just call them so I don't do something to cause myself even more trouble. Thanks for the reply. At least I know what happened now.

Just went back and logged in to FAA site. You are exactly right. I did register 107. I would try to fix it online, but there doesn't seem to be a tab to transfer info to 336 and cancel the 107, only a tab to add a 336 registration. Would I do that and then just let the 107 expire? And why does it let people register 107 without the proof that you have qualified? I'll probably just call them so I don't do something to cause myself even more trouble. Thanks for the reply. At least I know what happened now.

You can register an aircraft under Part 107 without having a remote pilot license. There is no problem with that and you can still fly under Section 336 with that registration. If you don't plan to get licensed then you can just let it expire and then register under Section 336, which you would want to do anyway if you get another drone, since the registration that you have is only good for the drone that you registered. A Section 336 registration would be for all drones that you own.

This thread reminded me my Registration expired 12/29/18. I went to the FAA UAS website, entered my Email and Password and printed a new Registration; good for two more years and apparently free!

I have to ask - in what way did you find that to be a complicated mess? It seems completely straightforward to me.

I'm right there with you. The rules say you have to put the registration on your drone but they don't call it a registration number on the certificate of registration, they call it a certificate number. I am a very literal person. If they want a registration number, they should call it such.

The FAA site is very confusing for a new drone operator. I thought I was following their instructions and mistakenly registered under part 107 when I first got my drone. You guys clarified things and I went back in and registered under Section 336. Both registrations show up in my account.

The problem is all the articles that say "you must register your drone with the FAA." You don't actually register a drone under Section 336. You register the drone operator.

Even the rules page for Section 336 is misleading.

Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

The first step says, "Register Your Drone."

Reactions: David Hasselhoff
I am a new drone owner thanks to my daughter purchasing a Mavic air for me for Christmas. I was not aware that I needed to register my drone till now, thanks to this forum. Now that it is legal, any suggestions on where to put the reg.# on my drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705