DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regulations - Canada

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
I'd like to start a discussion on Canadian rules.

Let's begin with: NOT with a SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate).

Updated 2017-03-16 - New TC rules

TC's rules are both clear and vague. That's a good thing in some cases. (Easier to go to court to get out from a fine). I write them here as "hard" and "soft" rules as the hard ones are less ambiguous and clearly defined. The soft rules are so-called because they lack definition. For example pretty much anyone should know what a "private area" is but what constitutes " near " a moving vehicle?

The "hard rules"
1. No flying within 5 NM of the centre an aerodrome. That's _any_ airport, heliport or seaport.
2. 90 m AGL. Period.
3. No flight within 150 75 m of people, animals, buildings, structures or vehicles.
4. Must be in view of the operator. (Using the drone POV device alone is not allowed)
5. Don't fly within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, or forest fires.
6. Daylight only - no flight in fog or clouds
7. No taking photos/video of "private" areas.
8. No further than 500m from the operator

The "soft rules"
8. No flying in populated areas or near large groups of people (including sporting events, concerts, festivals, firework shows ...)
9. No flying near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets, or anywhere where you could endanger or distract drivers.
10. Don't fly anywhere where you may interfere with first responders.
11. Good weather

For 8, what is a populated area? A town? Sure. So I can't take off in my street and head to the woods?
What is "near large groups of people"? What's a large group? What's "near"?

For 9: What's "near"? Something that the driver is likely to see (and want to avoid?) Is a ship a vehicle? Can you fly over a highway (to cross it?) Over it and along it, but at 60 m so you don't distract anyone?

What is really a dimmer is that the Mavic Pro will be "out of view" within ... what? 200 metres?

As to within 150 75 m of structures: is that horizontally? Can I fly 50 metres horizontally from the building as long as I am at 90 metres above it? Or will 50 metres at any height above be allowed?

3. Vehicles: All vehicles at all times? Or those in movement?

Last edited:
Reactions: Blucenturion
New rules released today by Transport Canada:

New rules for recreational drones in Canada set out where, when they can fly

The rules, which are effective immediately, mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones weighing more than 250 grams are caught flying:

• Higher than 90 metres.
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals or people.
  • More than 500 metres away from the user.
  • At night, in clouds or somewhere you can't see it.
  • Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land, or a forest fire.
  • Without your name, address and phone number marked on the drone itself.
  • Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.

I think the 75 metre from buildings and people is a bit overkill--this coming from someone would is probably over-cautious when flying. This doesn't give a lot of options for flying even in our larger parks, in open fields.

Have they banned National/State/Provincial/City parks? I assume in Canada there are a lot of open land areas that would still be legal, but I know where I live in the US it would almost be impossible to find a legal area. Helipads are everywhere. I mean really, restricting 9km from a helipad is ridiculous. At least here you only need to notify when within 5miles. Still hard to follow.

Have they banned National/State/Provincial/City parks? I assume in Canada there are a lot of open land areas that would still be legal, but I know where I live in the US it would almost be impossible to find a legal area. Helipads are everywhere. I mean really, restricting 9km from a helipad is ridiculous. At least here you only need to notify when within 5miles. Still hard to follow.

My understanding is that provincial and national parks are off limits, except with permit (commercial, research etc.). city parks is unknown to me. Canada does have a lot of open areas, but if you're in a city, getting to those areas is not "convenient"...

The suggest made by the Minister of Transpo that drone pilots look up hobby plane association for places to fly demonstrates his limited understanding of the community (camera first, not propeller first). Those hobby airfields are not typically located in easy to access areas either.

What exactly is the official flying weight of the Mavic Pro? Is it under the 250 gram described in the rules?

I just have to laugh at the not flying above 90m, but not being within 75m of people/buildings/animals. So there's a 15m envelope we've got to work with.

Reactions: SeaFox
Set yourselves up a User Group with dues, and retain Counsel. Best way to avoid government tyranny, and beat down vague laws. Everyone will benefit.

I do hope that when final legislation is put into place the there is some kind of guideline on the pricing policy of training. Judging by some of the prices I've seen across Canada it is going to be very difficult to find recognized affordable training. The opportunists will certainly take advantage of the mandatory training for sure. If they want people to be trained properly, make it affordable.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I do hope that when final legislation is put into place the there is some kind of guideline on the pricing policy of training. Judging by some of the prices I've seen across Canada it is going to be very difficult to find recognized affordable training. The opportunists will certainly take advantage of the mandatory training for sure. If they want people to be trained properly, make it affordable.

I found a local school charging an obscene amount ($1500) for what should be perhaps a $500 course.

What will happen is more "schools" will open up and suddenly there will be a glut. Prices will tumble. Just not yet.

Set yourselves up a User Group with dues, and retain Counsel. Best way to avoid government tyranny, and beat down vague laws. Everyone will benefit.

Ahem. We're in court against the QC government for E-cig laws. $300k probably won't get us there.

Be aware that the long, straight stretch of grass in the middle of farmer Jake's corn field (you know, the one you can only spot from the air) is considered an "aerodrome" and flight restrictions do apply.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803