DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote Alaskan rainforest dweller and lurker

AlaskanGuy

Reactions
Hi Guys...
Greetings from SE Alaska, Prince of Wales island. i live remote, nearest simple store is a 100 mile plus run. nearest Real store like Walmart or such is 1 full day of travel of truck, then boat or floatplane. no fast food at all unless you call a fleeing deer fast food. mail comes when weather allows via float plane to our boat dock. Rain is a fact of life here, 200 inches per year. I live a completely subsistence lifestyle, and hunting/fishing/gathering are a huge part of my life... I am a reloader, and make my own powder, bullets, and arrows. I hunt for meat from bear and deer , fish for salmon, and halibut, grow a garden, collect berries and mushrroms.. lots of opportunity to take cool pictures if you dont mind the rain.. i have 3 Mavic's, a mini, a air 1, and a mavic pro. i use satelite internet and there is no cell service. i am retired and around 60, married, and have 3 grown sons and a bunch of grandkids.

a short video not in cinematic mode... flying around one of the numerous lakes nearby.

Satellite lock for hovering drones is questionable. the forest is thick, and obstacles are many.. makes for some challenging flying.. my drone is a tool, but I do love to fly.

I have been lurking here for a while. have a great day...

AlaskanGuy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann, in North Texas!

Great country, Alaska. Always liked it up there. My first trip in 1960, less than a year after statehood. Worked at the ANC airport for the summer. In early '70s worked as a logger for 2 seasons on Zarembo (uninhabited, a bit north of you). Our camp was at St. John's Harbor. From there made several one day trips by boat or float plane to Wrangell and P'burg. 11 years later, did real estate work all over the state for a US gov't agency. Got to SE, the interior, Tok, Barrow, Nome, St. Lawrence Isl, Kodiak, the Aleutians, and of course Juneau, Anc, and F'banks. Been back several times recreationally. Whole family loves Alaska. Our eldest son is a pilot for Alaska AL.

Always wanted to go to PoW Island. Never got to. Can't wait to see it through your lens! We have over 100,000 members all over the world--several in AK--who can answer your questions. Ask for help when you need it, share your work when you can!

Very, very glad to have you with us!

Hi Guys...
Greetings from SE Alaska, Prince of Wales island. i live remote, nearest simple store is a 100 mile plus run. nearest Real store like Walmart or such is 1 full day of travel of truck, then boat or floatplane. no fast food at all unless you call a fleeing deer fast food. mail comes when weather allows via float plane to our boat dock. Rain is a fact of life here, 200 inches per year. I live a completely subsistence lifestyle, and hunting/fishing/gathering are a huge part of my life... I am a reloader, and make my own powder, bullets, and arrows. I hunt for meat from bear and deer , fish for salmon, and halibut, grow a garden, collect berries and mushrroms.. lots of opportunity to take cool pictures if you dont mind the rain.. i have 3 Mavic's, a mini, a air 1, and a mavic pro. i use satelite internet and there is no cell service. i am retired and around 60, married, and have 3 grown sons and a bunch of grandkids.

a short video not in cinematic mode... flying around one of the numerous lakes nearby.

Satellite lock for hovering drones is questionable. the forest is thick, and obstacles are many.. makes for some challenging flying.. my drone is a tool, but I do love to fly.

AlaskanGuy

Hi AlaskanGuy,
wow what a wonderfull lonely spot! I dared to make a correction on small segment of your movie! I gave a bit of saturation and reduced a bit the brightness.Do you like it?
Have fun there in the "outback" and watch out the Gryzzlies :)

Cheers Paul

here:

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support and assistance here in the forum. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Welcome to the Forum, AlaskanGuy.
A question from curiosity. How do you get/create electrical power. Solar? Fossil Fuel Generator? Whatever your method, it can't be easy where you live.

Shiny side up... ;)
we used diesel generator power till just recently.. now we use hydroelectric

Hello from Petersburg... POW is certainly a beautiful island - we've cruised around there in our boat most summers. El Cap Passage and the inner channels to Klawock and Craig are fun and pretty.

wow... a petersburger!!!! hows the fishing out your way this year? you guys are gill-netters if memory serves... we are trollers... a great harvest year so far... deer season opened last friday.. lots of deer... bear hunting was also great... a pic of my wife and one of our spring bears...

3FB4AB7C-DA51-4D34-A85E-7DCF77B4F448.jpeg

wow... a petersburger!!!! hows the fishing out your way this year? you guys are gill-netters if memory serves... we are trollers... a great harvest year so far... deer season opened last friday.. lots of deer... bear hunting was also great... a pic of my wife and one of our spring bears...

View attachment 108985

:mad: how can one be happy after killing a bear?

Hi Guys...

AlaskanGuy
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm a huge fan of Alaska, especially the Aleutians. I've spent quite a bit of time in Dutch Harbor, Adak, Attu and Kodiak. Been in the Bering Sea on some beautiful days along with some horrendous days with 60ft seas. SE Alaska is beautiful and as you said, gets a lot of rain. There really isn't a bad area in the entire State in my opinion. Happy and safe flying!

We've got mostly seiners and a lot of gillnetters, not too many trollers. The crabbing has been terrific, but the salmon are slow. We were just cruising around Kuiu Island - saw lots of bears, but there's so much rain this summer - not good for flying.
These are from June.

killing a bear for food, not some trophy on a wall sir. that is how we live.
On that note, I’ll say thanks for sharing your beautiful corner of the world, and welcome to the forum!

I absolutely enjoy knowing that even in the remote wilderness, you prioritize your handful of drones. As you stated, the drone is your tool, so that put things in perspective. Admittedly, I’d freak out thinking that Amazon isn’t going to bring my leg extensions the very next day. ;)

Safe and happy flying to you!

Hi Guys...

AlaskanGuy
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis