DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote controller connection error - DJI Go 4

Cosmos 5

Reactions
Hi All,
Like others I am suffering from an intermittent failure of the DJI Go 4 mid flight, where it reports Remote controller connection error .. the screen freezes and goes B&W. Only a phone reboot re-establishes the app.

I'd be interested in any insights others have to remedy the problem.
By way of background:
  1. I am using HUAWEI Mate 9 running Android 9 with all updates applied. All Apps are closed and the phone powered off then powered on before starting to run DJI Go 4. There is 27GB of spare space on the phone. Note I get the same error on my Samsung Note Fan Edition.
  2. I am using the version of DJI Go 4 that is current and was downloaded on the 11th March, it is Version 4.3.32
  3. I have tried three different DJI USB/USBC leads between the RC and the phone. The last of those leads being from the large USB port underneath the controller. The error has occurred with all of these USB leads.
  4. All firmware updates for the drone, controller and batteries have been made. The versions are:
App: 4.3.32
Aircraft: 01.00.0510
Remote Controller: 01.00.0510

It appears to be a software error to me, in that the error can occur when the RC is lying stationary on a surface. Given I have tried the large USB port on the RC and multiple USB leads, I am at a lost as to what to do next. In all other aspects a fantastic drone.

Any advice appreciated.
Eric

Hi All,
Like others I am suffering from an intermittent failure of the DJI Go 4 mid flight, where it reports Remote controller connection error .. the screen freezes and goes B&W. Only a phone reboot re-establishes the app.

I'd be interested in any insights others have to remedy the problem.
By way of background:
  1. I am using HUAWEI Mate 9 running Android 9 with all updates applied. All Apps are closed and the phone powered off then powered on before starting to run DJI Go 4. There is 27GB of spare space on the phone. Note I get the same error on my Samsung Note Fan Edition.
  2. I am using the version of DJI Go 4 that is current and was downloaded on the 11th March, it is Version 4.3.32
  3. I have tried three different DJI USB/USBC leads between the RC and the phone. The last of those leads being from the large USB port underneath the controller. The error has occurred with all of these USB leads.
  4. All firmware updates for the drone, controller and batteries have been made. The versions are:
App: 4.3.32
Aircraft: 01.00.0510
Remote Controller: 01.00.0510

It appears to be a software error to me, in that the error can occur when the RC is lying stationary on a surface. Given I have tried the large USB port on the RC and multiple USB leads, I am at a lost as to what to do next. In all other aspects a fantastic drone.

Any advice appreciated.
Eric
Most reports I've seen about the drop-out have generally been associated with the Smart Controller but you are using the STANDARD and a phone.

App crashes on phones and tablets aren't uncommon. It will occur more often if you have a bad cable or cable connection. You've tried a few cables, but how old are they all? Over time they can wear out if flexed a lot or possibly if used for charging with high currents.
Check that your phone's USB port isn't dirty which can make a poor connection. Same for the RC ports though the bottom port is less prone to wear and dirt.

It shouldn't be necessary to restart your phone to recover from an app crash. For me it tends to restart on its own. If it's stuck but still running, you can close it from the app manager and restart it.

If your device has a slow CPU, GPU or low in RAM, that can cause crashes. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab E that was nothing but trouble for any DJI app, even my Robomaster. Having only 1.5GB of RAM was probably a major contributor to the issues.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Scenario is:
- All cables are effectively new (totally new for 2 of them)
- Phone and RC ports are clean and have been managed carefully
- Interesting that DJI Go 4 auto restarts for you.. for me never.. a reboot of phone is required.
- Plenty of processor speed and RAM with this phone... and a limited suite of loaded apps

App crashes on phones and tablets aren't uncommon. It will occur more often if you have a bad cable or cable connection. You've tried a few cables, but how old are they all? Over time they can wear out if flexed a lot or possibly if used for charging with high currents.
Check that your phone's USB port isn't dirty which can make a poor connection. Same for the RC ports though the bottom port is less prone to wear and dirt.

It shouldn't be necessary to restart your phone to recover from an app crash. For me it tends to restart on its own. If it's stuck but still running, you can close it from the app manager and restart it.

If your device has a slow CPU, GPU or low in RAM, that can cause crashes. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab E that was nothing but trouble for any DJI app, even my Robomaster. Having only 1.5GB of RAM was probably a major contributor to the issues.

I have the same problem, I use a Crystal Sky monitor. Since I have mine set to return to home if signal is lost it landed safely. I have tried several new cables and still the same problem. I assume it is bad port on the controller or the monitor. Is there any way to test these ports, probably not. It would be nice to see if it is a controller port or a monitor port. My remote is about 4 years old and the monitor only about a year.

Kind of an interesting video from when it happened, I was carrying a birthday banner for neighborhood party and it was a little scary with the drone carrying the sign while I had no control.

Mine is currently being tested by DJI.. as the problem is intermittent it will not be straight forward... I agree it is very disconcerting when it happens... (otherwise the tech is fantastic).. at a guess the problem for me is originating in: DJI Go 4 app, or the RC controller is not working occasionally .... we can't have failures like this especially when on missions like b-day parties.

Did you get any reply from DJI about your remote controller issue?

DJI have been good to deal with in on this matter. Worked though all possible diagnostics... sent them log files and a video of it happening. Ultimately they asked my to send the entire set drone/controller in to them.
They have tested it and found the main board on the RC is faulty. it is in the processes of being tested after the repair. So presuming that this is the issue, the RC left the factory in this state.. with the outcome being that the random failures drove me nuts over a couple of months.... so I guess in your case be alert to the fact that it may be an RC issue. Hope you get a suitable;e solution.

Reactions: jmorse62
I'll keep an eye on this thread, my connection dropped yesterday, short panic, deep breath, the drone is doing what it should and RTH.

It actually reconnected without having to reboot my phone or restart the app. I have my suspicion that it was pilot error and the USB was not firmly seated in my phone. I have a Note 10+ and it seems to be right on the limit for what the controller is able to hold.

To bring some closure to this... DJI have replaced the RC.... Using the new RC I have had one Go 4 drop out since this was using the small DJI connector on the side of the RC.... I have since been using a connector that goes to the large USB port on the bottom of the RC and have not had a Go 4 drop out.... I have noted some threads where users have reported that this port is more reliable. So here's hoping.... reliability of the tech is SO important with these drones.

Hi. I am having the same exact issue. Have swapped out cables, SD cards, everything you guys have done. If it is the main board in the RC, and I am obviously out of warranty, how can you repair existing remote controls? Recommendations on buying a new one? Thanks guys/gals.

I found it most reliable to use the the large USB for connection... when they diagnosed the failed main board DJI was able to do this quite quickly.. it had been that way since new.. I can only suggest seeking repair through DJI

I think the controller error is caused by a poor connection to the smartphone USB. I gave my Mavic Pro to our grandchildren using it as an excuse to get the Pro 2. On the second outing, I got the controller errors. I got the drone back home, reloaded Go 4, and found the same problem. I looked into the connections. On the old Pro, I bypassed the instructions to install the RC cable slider; I just couldn't get it to install. So, on the Pro, I just connected the USB cable to the smartphone. Well, this time, on the Pro 2, I got the slider in only to find out this made the connection to the smartphone a bit of a bother. But there is a reason the slider exists. It's to maintain the connector's position such that it can't slip out. Well, so they think. I found that my connection to the smartphone was not fully inserted. Looking at the installation I noticed the connector portion in the slider needed to be pushed in fully inserting the connector into the smartphone. After one flight all went well. I hope that's it.

I experienced connection issues with Mavic Pro 2 in the last couple of days. I was on a forest track with trees (10m high) on one side of the track and about 30 metres away on the opposite side more trees but these were only about 5 metres high. The drone was positioned about 10 metres from the nearest tree. My first (and only) flight consisted on flying the drone vertically at a constant distance from the trees ahead of it, reaching a hover point and then using the yaw to pan the view, all the while video recording the view ahead. I then returned the drone (vertical descent with a minor adjustment to landing position) to the take-off point and shut off the drone. I reviewed my video and prepared to repeat the same sequence. I could not get the controller to connect with the drone (Connection error displayed on RC). I shut everything down, restarted and tried again, also using the connection button on the drone. I tried this again several times but without success. Result = Flying over for the day. I had set the drone to tripod mode because I was in quite a restricted space and wanted to be sure of "slow operation". All firmware etc. was up to date.

Has anyone experienced similar? Could it have been the narrow "window" caused by the tall trees, although I did manage one flight? Any comments welcome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000