DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID in a location with no WiFi signal or cellular data available

Just had a thought. I was planning on buying another battery for my Mini 3. Is it possible that I'll need to update the controller/drone software in order to update the battery and use it? Or is the battery software synced to whatever version the drone is running?
Firmware versions must match.

So yes, you need to update. You'll need to by 9/16/23 anyway to fly legally in the U.S.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Firmware versions must match.

So yes, you need to update. You'll need to by 9/16/23 anyway to fly legally in the U.S.
I'm in Canada. I don't need remote ID up here. And I have no plans to go south of the border.

Not worried about law enforcement. (At least, not about my flying. Very concerned about the systemic problems various inquiries about various Canadian police forces have brought to light, but that has nothing to do with Remote ID.)

Rather concerned that someone with a phone and the right app could grab my location/information and decide to take the law (as they imagine it) into their own hands — especially as where I usually fly there are other drone owners who also fly there and I could easily catch the blame for their actions. Back before we got the latest version of drone rules up here, you were required to put a name, address, and phone number on your drone. An Ottawa police officer (and drone pilot) publicly warned people about putting their home address/number on their drone, based on the variety of crazy stalkers he'd dealt with over the years. And politics has only got more conspiracy-theory-rich and polarized since then.

If Remote ID was only accessible by law enforcement, the same way license plate information is*, then I would have no concerns about it. (Well, except a lingering concern about requiring internet connectivity, because roughly 1/3 of my flights are in locations that don't have any.)

*Up here, anyway. I understand that in some American states that information is available to the general public, but up here you need to be a cop to look up someone's information based on their license plate number.

Reactions: New England Droning
I'm in Canada. I don't need remote ID up here. And I have no plans to go south of the border.

Not worried about law enforcement. (At least, not about my flying. Very concerned about the systemic problems various inquiries about various Canadian police forces have brought to light, but that has nothing to do with Remote ID.)

Rather concerned that someone with a phone and the right app could grab my location/information and decide to take the law (as they imagine it) into their own hands — especially as where I usually fly there are other drone owners who also fly there and I could easily catch the blame for their actions. Back before we got the latests version of drone rules up here, you were required to put a name, address, and phone number on your drone. An Ottawa police officer (and drone pilot) publicly warned people about putting their home address/number on their drone, based on the variety of crazy stalkers he'd dealt with over the years.

If Remote ID was only accessible by law enforcement, the same way license plate information is*, then I would have no concerns about it. (Well, except a lingering concern about requiring internet connectivity, because roughly 1/3 of my flights are in locations that don't have any.)
We're fighting for that too. Only cops and those in need should be able to get any of that information. And there is no need for internet connectivity for RID in the U.S.

*Up here, anyway. I understand that in some American states that information is available to the general public, but up here you need to be a cop to look up someone's information based on their license plate number.
To my knowledge owners of license plates are not publicly available in any states. That would be a serious privacy violation.

To my knowledge owners of license plates are not publicly available in any states. That would be a serious privacy violation.
It sounded like a huge privacy violation, but I've heard stories of people looking up license numbers. Not being American, haven't bothered to verify them (not my country, not my problem).

These post really help me a lot . I've been flying for about a year and a half and rely on you to keep me informed.
Glad to know that DJI included RID in the Air 2s. I upgraded in October from my Air 2.
I fly with a I pad Mini 5.
I won't be upgrading any of the Firmware/Software any time soon. Everything works great as is and it seems DJI uses its customers to BETA test all upgrades.

Here's a new thread from today where, it appears, that the new DJI Version of Remote ID does have some type of "Connectivity Requirement" to commence flight.

Here's a new thread from today where, it appears, that the new DJI Version of Remote ID does have some type of "Connectivity Requirement" to commence flight.

I don't think that applies other than when you are first setting up the drone. I do not connect my RC Pro to the internet other than when I am at home and it works just fine with the newest DJI firmware updates.

I don't think that applies other than when you are first setting up the drone. I do not connect my RC Pro to the internet other than when I am at home and it works just fine with the newest DJI firmware updates.

I'm just the messenger :)

Reactions: New England Droning
I'll second that. I was flying my RC Pro and Mavic 3 (both fully updated) yesterday in a location with no Internet connectivity. Everything worked fine, including Remote ID.

I use my older android phone that is disconnected to fly so I do not tie up my active phone. It never fails that I go to fly and someone wants to call while I am in the air. While I have the flight phone configured to connect to my phone's hotspot (just in case), I rarely turn it on. When I get back home, the flight phone connects to WiFi and uploads my flight logs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31