Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID in a location with no WiFi signal or cellular data available

baddog

Reactions
Site
www.drone-scapes.com
To All,

So, after confirming today that the latest update for the Mavic 3 (Firmware Version 01.00.0900) Remote ID is fully functional. This firmware can also not be rolled back. I don't think this was a mistake by DJI either so, I do not think there will be another update to correct this premature launch of Remote ID on the Mavic 3. If it was an accident, that's a BIG OOPS!

If you do not have a device with a data plan or WiFi connection, the drone will not allow you to take off.

My question is... If I am hired to do a mapping mission in a remote location like the High Peaks region of the Adirondack mountains in Northern NY, which is an area that has very limited cellular data and even a more limit WiFi infrastructure... Am I just grounded and cannot work in that location?

No. There is no network RID requirement. You’re fine.

No. There is no network RID requirement. You’re fine.
Well, I ran into an issue with the Remote ID getting turned on after the latest update to the Mavic 3, firmware version 01.00.0900. Remote ID was fully functional after the update. I tried to take off with my iPad tablet that does not have a data plan and there was no WiFi and the fly app would not allow me to take off.

Attachments

• Remote_ID_Error_Rotated.jpg
    Remote_ID_Error_Rotated.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 87
I often fly at a location with no cell reception. I'm not updating until I learn more about this. (Especially as my country has no Remote ID requirement.)

Reactions: mrgadway
Well, I ran into an issue with the Remote ID getting turned on after the latest update to the Mavic 3, firmware version 01.00.0900. Remote ID was fully functional after the update. I tried to take off with my iPad tablet that does not have a data plan and there was no WiFi and the fly app would not allow me to take off.
That shouldn't happen. Reach out to [email protected].

I just flew w/o network this morning and it flew fine.

I often fly at a location with no cell reception. I'm not updating until I learn more about this. (Especially as my country has no Remote ID requirement.)
No need to at the moment anyway.

Have you updated DJI Fly as well? I've read where folks have had problems with the firmware update and older version of DJI Fly.

I updated my M3 to v01.00.0900 last week and spent the next two days flying deep in the coastal mountains with no cellular data connectivity at all. I am using the RC Pro FWIW.

Reactions: baddog
To All,

So, I discovered the issue with not being able to take off using the iPad tablet. The location service was turned off, buy the last person that used the tablet. I normally don't even look to see if I have Wi-fi or cellular service most of the time, unless I am mapping.

But, in this instance I was more surprised and unaware that this update turned on Remote ID, almost year before it is required. Now I need to get the Remote ID serial # and update the registration information on faadronezone.ffa.gov.

Do you know how RID will work in remote locations once it is in effect? I work A LOT in areas with no cell service and I’m concerned once RID comes online that I will not be able to operate.

Do you know how RID will work in remote locations once it is in effect? I work A LOT in areas with no cell service and I’m concerned once RID comes online that I will not be able to operate.
There is no cellular service requirement for RID.

That was the main difference between the NPRM and the Final Rule. The DHS wanted Network RID as a way to track "real time" the number and location of drones in the U.S. That was also one of the main technical and security issues brought up by the 53,000 comments received.

So Network RID did not make it into the Final Rule.

What happens is that the RID module on or in the drone will broadcast via WiFi of Bluetooth. They will not receive it. So it won't matter if there is cell service or not.

Reactions: hagman23 and JoelP
There is no cellular service requirement for RID.

That was the main difference between the NPRM and the Final Rule. The DHS wanted Network RID as a way to track "real time" the number and location of drones in the U.S. That was also one of the main technical and security issues brought up by the 53,000 comments received.

So Network RID did not make it into the Final Rule.

What happens is that the RID module on or in the drone will broadcast via WiFi of Bluetooth. They will not receive it. So it won't matter if there is cell service or not.
So if I understand correctly from the comments over the last several days, is that the RID issues are mainly with flying using an IPad, and do not effect using the RC Pro?

So if I understand correctly from the comments over the last several days, is that the RID issues are mainly with flying using an IPad, and do not effect using the RC Pro?
I’m tracking this closely as I’m flying an Air 2s and I (usually) fly with an iPad Mini 5.

No, as I read the thread this isn’t an iPad issue, it’s a requirement that whatever device you’re using have its location services enabled. This will affect me, as I normally run with location services turned off. Most people don’t seem to care either way.
…So, I discovered the issue with not being able to take off using the iPad tablet. The location service was turned off, buy the last person that used the tablet. I normally don't even look to see if I have Wi-fi or cellular service most of the time, unless I am mapping...
(emphasis added)

Speculating (I don’t have an RC Pro), there may be a way to turn off location services such as GPS/GNSS in the Android shell of an RC Pro. Don’t do it! If you experience take off errors like the OP this would be a setting to check.

Just had a thought. I was planning on buying another battery for my Mini 3. Is it possible that I'll need to update the controller/drone software in order to update the battery and use it? Or is the battery software synced to whatever version the drone is running?

No idea, it's too early to tell when (& if) there will be widespread issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998