DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID with smart controller

I have a Mavic Air 2 with the original smart controller. I want to be in compliance with remote ID. I heard that the my smart controller will not work with rid. Is this true? Will there be an firmware update like I am expecting for my Air 2?
Here is a link that DJI has regarding what is needed with each type of drone.

DJI Statement for Remote ID (7/1/2023) It states many will NOT have to buy a module and have a Firmware update FYI

Sounds like they are trying to make it as simple as possible.

Those of us whose D.J.I. drones miss the 9/16/23 deadline will still have to buy a RID module at least for the interim. I’ve tried to shop for one, but cannot find any clearly defined modules that work on their own power and with their own antenna. All the choices I’m finding seem unable to state exactly what they do, how they do it, and, most importantly, that they fulfill F.A.A. requirements. Has anyone found one yet?

I also have a Mavic Air 2 and am having difficulty finding an add-on RID module that isn't hundreds of dollars. Too bad DJI isn't making these available for their drones that don't have RID built in. The Mavic 2 Air is not one that will get a firmware upgrade to be RID compliant so we will be required to buy an add-on module from all that I can find. Anyone find an inexpensive RID module that is FAA compliant?

Reactions: SparePartz
(My) Air2 RID firmware release Sept 30, '23 according to DJI. Will need external for my Phantoms.

I have a Mavic Air 2 with the original smart controller. I want to be in compliance with remote ID. I heard that the my smart controller will not work with rid. Is this true? Will there be an firmware update like I am expecting for my Air 2?
I got notice yesterday from DJI that the air 2 willberid compiant byDec. 31 through a software update and the dsmat controller shouldbe too. If you want to make sure. Chat with them and give them the SN of your controller because there are two cersions. Not sure if it makes a difference.

I have a Mavic Air 2 and the older Smart controller.. Yesterday there was a update firmware
It said my MA2 will be compliant after update.. In looking at my SC I could not see any ID info after the update.
I then bound it to my original RC-N1 controller and updated it (its been in a box for a year) after pairing the MA2 I could see my ID # in the information window.

What I have to assume (and you know the problem with that) is even flying with the older Smart Controller my MA2 is still transmitting the ID. It comes from the drone and not the controller.

I'v not heard if the older SC will have any more updates to show the ID or not.
RC-N1. Firmware 04.11.0200
Smart Controller Firmware 01.01.0072
MA2. Firmware 01.01.1600

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_