DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID Modules

dan.utinske

Reactions
I have searched the Forums while trying to determine the best Drone Remote ID Module. I have several drones and need the flexibity of using a module to meet ID requirements in September. Looking for recommendations of what modules are out there and which are the best. Appreciate any input.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
I'm in the same boat - watching expectantly :)

Reactions: Spartan Drones
Here's one that's available so far.

Hopefully other tags will be on the market as the deadline nears and possibly cheaper.

$300 is a bit much, but all drone accessories cost some money (tablet, case, etc.).

Here's a video by YouTuber Ken Heron talking about two different models.

I'm hoping DJI will release a firmware update to modernize the fleet before the deadline.

There's not a lot of room on the drones to be mounting stuff.

I would wait until the last minute to see what develops. Currently, the modules I have seen tested, are a little big still. They need to find a way to get them down to the size of an AirTag or maybe a strobe but they are not there yet. Maybe someone will combine a strobe with the module so you dont need both at night with two modules. IDK. I would wait until Aug and even then, I seriously doubt anyone is going to walk up and ask for proof you have the module. I’m not saying ignore the rules, I’m saying dont panic waiting for a better option. The FAA might see the market and make some last minute adjustments. I think they expected more participation in the products.

Edit: Video shared by @MA2 317 are the examples I looked at. I dont need one, my modern drones are equipped but I am curious about how things are going and I’m interested in FPV having bought the Avata.

Not a bad idea to wait to see if creativity prevails, although come September, every drone operator in the country is going to need one. Inventory could vanish for months.

Reactions: MRomine
Our standard mounting adaptors work with most RID Modules currently made. I use the DB120 (on right above ) in the You Tube video on my Matrice 200. These fit on all our mounts for Mavice, Inspire, Matrice,Disco, Yuneec H series and more. I am always looking for new ideas to create mounts for the community . Let me know if you have any needs that you feel the community can use.

A click my ad on side bar or go here: IronSky Mounts | eBay Stores

As we get closer to Sept 2023 more RID modules will show up. My choice is diffenately the self power units. I do not feel that the user community should abandon drones that are useful except not having the RID capability. Its also a good time to pickup more capable hardware at value pricing. I use the Matrice for heavy lift. There is now way a Mavic is going to lift multple cameras and lighting when needed. I also beleive our triple mount for Mavic series is a great choice for multiple lights and a 360 camera. (if within the payload limit of 400-500g)

Attachments

• 20230416_100613.jpg
    20230416_100613.jpg
    925.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230416_100641.jpg
    20230416_100641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230430_090601.jpg
    20230430_090601.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230430_090834.jpg
    20230430_090834.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: mavin
This thread prompted a question...if your drones won't support internal RID do you need a separate, dedicated external module for each drone, or can you move the module from drone to drone?

Reactions: Torque
Just to point out if one hasn't thought of this, you will only need one.

It can be moved from drone to drone. Velcro is your friend.

More accurately put, every drone will need a module attached when flying.

I too will wait. Maybe there will be way to internally modify legacy drones in order to comply with RID. I don’t relish the idea of hardware hanging onto the outside of a drone. The myriad problems with appendages are obvious.

it’s going to be a rollercoaster ride. No problem. I like rollercoasters. I’m willing to comply when the time is right for my aircraft. In a few years it will be settled business.

Fly the friendly skies.

You will need to move RID from one drone to the next. I would not wait to long since the manufacturers will need to get there products approved by FAA. You do not want to be a aplpha or beta tester in this area.

I use velcro a lot however, I prefer a more engineered mount with mechanical fastening.

I just plan to wait until the date gets closer before I worry about picking up one of these for my Phantom. Luckily my Air2S is already armed with this. I don't intend on flying my Mini 2 for anything but recreational anyway.

One thing I haven't seen anyone else post so I'm going to post it so people can plan ahead -- I'm in a pinch with my Mavic Air 2 because I bought it nearly 3 years ago and it's due for FAA registration renewal. When I go to the site to do this, I'm asked for the Remote ID number, which I of course don't have because I can't justify $300 for a remote ID at the moment.
This means I could be in a position from the end of June until September when cheaper Remote IDs are released where I will be unable to fly my Mavic Air 2.

One thing I haven't seen anyone else post so I'm going to post it so people can plan ahead -- I'm in a pinch with my Mavic Air 2 because I bought it nearly 3 years ago and it's due for FAA registration renewal. When I go to the site to do this, I'm asked for the Remote ID number, which I of course don't have because I can't justify $300 for a remote ID at the moment.
This means I could be in a position from the end of June until September when cheaper Remote IDs are released where I will be unable to fly my Mavic Air 2.
Or just fly it for a few months responsibly, don't worry about it, and get a cheaper module when they become available this summer, and Don fret over it (I'm talking strictly recreational).

Yeah, I'm advocating breaking rules, but then I'd say exactly the same to someone tied in knots over exceeding the speed limit by a few mph.

The law has a certain amount of limited flexibility for a reason.

I do recognize that others have a much more strict view than I do about this.

People like me refer to them as Mandarins. 😁😁😁

Or just fly it for a few months responsibly, don't worry about it, and get a cheaper module when they become available this summer, and Don fret over it (I'm talking strictly recreational).

Yeah, I'm advocating breaking rules, but then I'd say exactly the same to someone tied in knots over exceeding the speed limit by a few mph.

The law has a certain amount of limited flexibility for a reason.

I do recognize that others have a much more strict view than I do about this.

People like me refer to them as Mandarins. 😁😁😁
lol totally fair assessment. Sadly, I use my aircraft for work so I may miss out on income if that happens. I think I may end up with a Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro body only and just use the remote from my MA2. Time will tell!

Reactions: Torque
I use the DroneBeacon DB120 self contained unit on my Matrice 200 and my other drones that are no longer complient. I took minutes to get up and running and is well worth ther 130 USD price. Some photos with the DB120 on our GoPro adaptor.

We have GoPro style mounts for the DroneTag and the DroneBeacon DB120 on our eBay store Security Measure

Photo is on my old Yuneec H series however, works on all our mounts.

Our ad is on Mavic Pilots now and will be on Inspire,Yuneec and Parrot shortly

Attachments

• 20230514_111146.jpg
    20230514_111146.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230514_105220.jpg
    20230514_105220.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 20230514_135507.jpg
    20230514_135507.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230515_151225.jpg
    20230515_151225.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I had a registration renewal recently - though the Remote ID Serial Number field was on the form at dronezone.faa.gov I was not required to put in a number.

I’ll revisit in September to enter it, as that particular craft is recent enough to get RID compliant with a firmware update. This form is, I believe, editable.

Reactions: Aairon
One of the issues -
89.320 Minimum performance requirements for remote identification broadcast modules. C.2: The remote identification broadcast module must continuously monitor the remote identification functionality from takeoff to shutdown and must provide notification of malfunction or failure to the person manipulating the flight controls of the unmanned aircraft system.

This is a performance requirement of a RID module, I can build a RID module at 3g BUT how do you notify someone flying the drone? I can add a LED that flashes but would that be acceptable? The existing modules do not explain how they handle this requirement. Can you watch the RID on an app with your phone?

There are several RID trackers available from Android site I used them once mine was up and running.. The main issue is they are FCC compliant which the DB120 and Dronetag are. I use one called OpenDroneID.

I had a registration renewal recently - though the Remote ID Serial Number field was on the form at dronezone.faa.gov I was not required to put in a number.

I’ll revisit in September to enter it, as that particular craft is recent enough to get RID compliant with a firmware update. This form is, I believe, editable.
I was demonstrating registration to a class yesterday - in fact the reg form may not be editable. It seemed I would need to do a new registration. In this case it’s on a Rec reg, so I plan to add it as a new aircraft in September, then remove the older version from the registration.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh