DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID sub 250g used for rec and 107

Ok...here is the gist of what I was told by the folks at [email protected].

1. A sub-250g drone is not required to transmit RID when flying for recreational purposes.
2. A sub-250g drone that is registered for Part 107 must transmit RID when flying recreationally unless:
a. The sub-250g drone is registered for recreational purposes in addition to its existing commercial registration (dual registration).
b. The add-on broadcast module is able to be removed from the drone when flying recreationally. That makes sense because if the module cannot be removed then the drone likely weighs 250g+ which requires active RID.
c. The drone is labeled with both the commercial and recreational registration numbers.

The surprising item, for me, I did not know that a drone can simultaneously have dual (recreation and commercial) registration numbers.

Why did I want to know this? Well, I fly 90% recreationally and I would prefer not to broadcast my location so as to keep all the Nosey Nellies away.
The unsimplified, neurotic answer we've come to expect.

Why isn't the answer just remove the RID module when flying recreationally?

This is the contradicting redundancy that they never get rid of.

I think I will hit the gas pedal and the brake pedal at the same time while driving just to make sure I've covered all the bases.

Ok...here is the gist of what I was told by the folks at [email protected].

b. The add-on broadcast module is able to be removed from the drone when flying recreationally. That makes sense because if the module cannot be removed then the drone likely weighs 250g+ which requires active RID.
But there is still a problem, as per para b. above.
I bought a Mini 3 Pro, (under 249g). When checking the FAA Compliance list, it shows that all M2 Pro's have included in their circuitry, RID, and have been since that model was introduced. Flying it recreationally now, it likely is already, or will be in Sept, transmitting RID.

And if I do get dual registration, it definitely will be RID even when flying purely rec.

Probably will be other under 250g mini's coming out that will also included RID.

This is incorrect.

Remote ID will need to be on all drones (even those under 250 grams flying recreationally), unless they are flown at a fixed site called a FRIA or FAA Recognized Identification Area. Essentially the FRIA will be current RC airfields. Outside of those, no matter what drone you fly it must have either internal RID or an external Module.

Please see the FAA's website for more details.

View attachment 160191
You basically are saying the same thing as 66427 cobra

I bought a Mini 3 Pro, (under 249g). When checking the FAA Compliance list, it shows that all M2 Pro's have included in their circuitry, RID, and have been since that model was introduced. Flying it recreationally now, it likely is already, or will be in Sept, transmitting RID.

And if I do get dual registration, it definitely will be RID even when flying purely rec.

Probably will be other under 250g mini's coming out that will also included RID.
it is already transmitting RID

You basically are saying the same thing as 66427 cobra
Not exactly. Sub-250g drones that are not registered for commercial use do not need RID and would not be limited to FRIA locations.

That being said, if new drones come from the factory equipped with RID that can't be turned off (like the Mini 3 Pro) then, when flying for recreation, you will be transmitting RID whether you want to or not.

The "flexibility" that I was asking about would only apply if you had an external RID module that could be removed from your sub-250g drone.

Yes...all this only matters if you have a drone with a removable, external RID broadcast module. Drones like the Mini 3 Pro and others coming down the pike will most likely have internal RID with no "off switch".

Just saw a rumor that DJI will soon release a Mini 2 SE. We'll see how RID is handled with that one. My guess is that even though it will be sub-250g and geared for recreational use, it will transmit RID even though it isn't required by FAA regs.

Yes...all this only matters if you have a drone with a removable, external RID broadcast module. Drones like the Mini 3 Pro and others coming down the pike will most likely have internal RID with no "off switch".

Just saw a rumor that DJI will soon release a Mini 2 SE. We'll see how RID is handled with that one. My guess is that even though it will be sub-250g and geared for recreational use, it will transmit RID even though it isn't required by FAA regs.
News to me on a Mini 2 SE,they would not go backwards anymore now that the mini 3 has been released.
Would make no sense at all,and yes we are aware of internal RID being built into the drone now and down the road.

Not exactly. Sub-250g drones that are not registered for commercial use do not need RID and would not be limited to FRIA locations.

That being said, if new drones come from the factory equipped with RID that can't be turned off (like the Mini 3 Pro) then, when flying for recreation, you will be transmitting RID whether you want to or not.

The "flexibility" that I was asking about would only apply if you had an external RID module that could be removed from your sub-250g drone.
Sorry but ,yes exactly you are repeating what the other guy said.

Sorry but ,yes exactly you are repeating what the other guy said.
Not sure. Maybe we are saying the same thing. Here is the exact response I received from [email protected]:

If you have a drone that does not require registration (i.e. less than 250 grams and flown for the sole purpose of recreation) it does not require remote ID.

No, this is not correct.

A drone that does not need to be registered (such as a sub-250g drone used for recreational purposes only) does not need remote id to fly. The only other note/exception is that a sub-250g drone used recreationally for SUSTAINED flights over people will also require remote ID.
Folks, I believe RID is not required IF under 250g AND props cannot lacerate (cause cuts). So, both mini 2 and 3 Can Lacerate, unless using prop guards, at which point they exceed 259g. That is why DJI had to update Mini 3 to RID.

Folks, I believe RID is not required IF under 250g AND props cannot lacerate (cause cuts). So, both mini 2 and 3 Can Lacerate, unless using prop guards, at which point they exceed 259g. That is why DJI had to update Mini 3 to RID.
The battery options put it over 250g even if you didn't use them, you got stung for rid.

Laceration by props is related to operations over people (OOP), not RID. Sub-250g, strictly recreational, no OOP...no RID necessary. That is with the exceptions I noted when a sub-250g drone is registered for commercial use.

Also, with the required blade guards for OOP, the drone would likely exceed 250g so RID would be required.

Prop guards did not have anything to do with why DJI implemented RID on the mini 3 and mini 3 pro.
So with the latest firmware RID is being broadcast on the min3 and mini 3 pro.The under 250g,matters not.
DJI took it upon themselves to implement RID on these models .

On page 72 of the mini 3 pro user manual it will state that Remote ID is currently being broadcast from
startup to shutdown.

I understand why DJI installed RID on the Mini 3 since they are required to install it on drones over 250 grams. Since they offer the option of batteries that put it over the limit they would be required by law when the heavier battery is used.

This remote id business seems to really ride on a double standard of our government's design.

There's dji with their let's just put the module on there anyways.

And the other one that tells you to spend another $300 to be compliant as they aren't going to fit it with a remote id module.

This remote id business seems to really ride on a double standard of our government's design.

There's dji with their let's just put the module on there anyways.

And the other one that tells you to spend another $300 to be compliant as they aren't going to fit it with a remote id module.
DJI isn't using a module, they're just updating the firmware to broadcast as they were already using a similar setup for nearly a decade that was already broadcasting the same information called aeroscope, they just didn't make it obvious to end users that they were broadcasting their location and pilot location the whole time already. The only real difference is that aeroscope requires a system that cost 10k to read DJI drone information and they don't sell that system to just anyone (they also quietly discontinued aeroscope recently).

Other brands probably don't have the same system already built into their drone that they could just revise with a firmware update especially if they were already cutting corners to only include the minimum of what's needed to operate the drone.

Well cobra, that is interesting. I intend to give my drone to a family member who will fly it only for rec. As long as he gets the SAFE cert and doesn't add any extra weight to it, he is golden. Once I get a new RID compliant drone I will see about deregistering it on the drone zone so my BIL can register it...
I always flay as a photographer as 107 so I think it is time to upgrade.

Well cobra, that is interesting. I intend to give my drone to a family member who will fly it only for rec. As long as he gets the SAFE cert and doesn't add any extra weight to it, he is golden. Once I get a new RID compliant drone I will see about deregistering it on the drone zone so my BIL can register it...
I always flay as a photographer as 107 so I think it is time to upgrade.
SAFE Certification?

Reactions: New England Droning
I took (and passed) my Part 107 recurrent test yesterday. The course materials specifically said that sub-250g drones do not require RID when flown for recreational purposes. It may have even been a test question.

Still struggling with the fact that my Mini 2 is registered commercially and whether that alone requires me to broadcast RID even when I am flying recreationally.

Intuitively, I would think it doesn't. But that doesn't carry much weight. It only matters what the FAA says. Maybe this is a "corner case" they haven't thought about, yet. Wouldn't be the first time.
I have a Mini 2 & can't imagine why a drone with a 12mp camera with 8-bit color & can't fly on breezy days would be used commercially. The only rationale I can think of would be a client who doesn't realize the Mini 2 isn't an appropriate drone for commercial work. It has a 3-axis mechanical gimbal going for it but not much more. Fun to fly, though!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada