DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID sub 250g used for rec and 107

SAFE Certification?
In the US they have stipulated that All pilots have to take this mandatory (TRUST) training test. You can't fail it and it covers the most important parts of flying a drone. (400' max alt, VLOS and weather etc) so that even recreational pilots have a basic knowledge of the rules.

In the US they have stipulated that All pilots have to take this mandatory (TRUST) training test. You can't fail it and it covers the most important parts of flying a drone. (400' max alt, VLOS and weather etc) so that even recreational pilots have a basic knowledge of the rules.
Familiar with TRUST, thanks for the clarification of what you meant.

Reactions: New England Droning
Prop guards did not have anything to do with why DJI implemented RID on the mini 3 and mini 3 pro.

You don't know that.

Regardless, the extended battery puts it over 250g, and I'd say this definitely was a consideration in incorporating RID.

If there is a Mini 2SE i highly doubt that electronics will be updated to add RID.

I have a Mini 2 & can't imagine why a drone with a 12mp camera with 8-bit color & can't fly on breezy days would be used commercially. The only rationale I can think of would be a client who doesn't realize the Mini 2 isn't an appropriate drone for commercial work. It has a 3-axis mechanical gimbal going for it but not much more. Fun to fly, though!
Man that's some drone bigotry there!

"Commercial" is anything someone will pay you for. My imagination can conjure near infinite uses of a drone that people will pay for, and the Mini 2 is more than well-suited for these missions.

Imagery is not the only thing valuable that drones can do.

However, my imagination isn't necessary... People are successfully using Mini2 for commercial missions every day, so your criticisms are more elite snobbery than practical analysis.

Reactions: New England Droning
If there is a Mini 2SE i highly doubt that electronics will be updated to add RID.
Mini 2SE was release almost a month ago.

It's basically a Mini 2 scaled down to 2.7k and lacks some other features. It also won't have an SDK (no third party app support) because DJI stopped working on MSDK v4 which that would fall under.

It's unlikely they'll bother with adding RID simply because RID is not required on drones that do not need to be registered (under 250g and recreational), meaning you can't use it commercially unless you throw on a module.

Mini 2SE was release almost a month ago.

It's basically a Mini 2 scaled down to 2.7k and lacks some other features. It also won't have an SDK (no third party app support) because DJI stopped working on MSDK v4 which that would fall under.

It's unlikely they'll bother with adding RID simply because RID is not required on drones that do not need to be registered (under 250g and recreational), meaning you can't use it commercially unless you throw on a module.
General public isn't going to know the difference between commercial and recreational. Drone delivery would be a definite commercial whereas part 107 is more geared towards watching your airspace.

"Commercial" is anything someone will pay you for. My imagination can conjure near infinite uses of a drone that people will pay for, and the Mini 2 is more than well-suited for these missions.

However, my imagination isn't necessary... People are successfully using Mini2 for commercial missions every day, so your criticisms are more elite snobbery than practical analysis.
My only drone is a Mini 2 & after 100 flights I know what the camera can & can't do. As a 100% recreational pilot who flies exclusively in Class G airspace over US National Forests, no photo I have ever taken has any commercial value to anyone.

My only drone is a Mini 2 & after 100 flights I know what the camera can & can't do. As a 100% recreational pilot who flies exclusively in Class G airspace over US National Forests, no photo I have ever taken has any commercial value to anyone.
You've made it clear you're not going to make any money commercially with your Mini 2.

Others are, so there really isn't a valid debate.

So for practical purposes, if my sub 250g drone is not required for RID, and I'm flying recreationally, I have to fly at FRIA locations ONLY? Even with permission to fly at a local park that's not a FRIA location, are you saying I can't fly there after 9/2023 unless I'm RID compliant?

No, you can fly your unregistered sub-250g drone without RID anywhere a 250+ drone can fly, recreationally.

A 250+ drone can only be flown without RID at a FRIA, and must be registered regardless.

You've made it clear you're not going to make any money commercially with your Mini 2.

Others are, so there really isn't a valid debate.
All I can say is that a client must have pretty low expectations to accept photos & video from a 12MP camera with 8-bit color, 4K or not. Fine for an amateur but from a pro it would be shameful to submit work of that low quality. Or maybe not.

All I can say is that a client must have pretty low expectations to accept photos & video from a 12MP camera with 8-bit color, 4K or not. Fine for an amateur but from a pro it would be shameful to submit work of that low quality. Or maybe not.
Really depends on the client, there's quite a few I know that only need photos for web publication, and 90% of the time for that the deliverables are not above 2 to 4 megapixels especially if they needed some graphic design done on it in the end. Stills being used in 4k footage can simply be 8 megapixels if filling the frame. Even greater deal of clients can't discern between 8-bit and 10-bit (especially since in the end, most viewing platforms are no better than rec.709 color space capable).

There have been quite usable content out of a mini 2, even more so out of a Mini 3 if the weather is suitable.

I'm one of those ones who use the images from my mini-2 for commercial purposes. I do not do business that requires clients to hire me but I do take some wicked good "art" photographs (attached is Long Pond in Belvidere Vermont) And because I have this up for sale, this mission is a part 107 mission. EVERY mission I take off with the mini 2 is a Part 107 because while it is wildly FUN to fly... IT IS NOT a recreational flight because my intent is to make a dollar or two from my images... So this summer (2023) I am looking at buying a Mavic 3 (some variant) so RID will be built in. I simply do not want to buy a 200-300$ add-on just to be able to use my images for sales.

Attachments

• Long Pond in Belvidere Vermont.jpg
    Long Pond in Belvidere Vermont.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 4
It's a shame that's all you can say, what a lack of imagination.

The Mini 2 is more than needed to inspect rain gutters, roofs, and a plethora of things people will, and have, paid to have surveyed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme