DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID sub 250g used for rec and 107

66427cobra

Reactions
Sorry if this has been addressed before. I searched the forum and could not find any related responses.

I fly a Mini 2 for both recreation and Part 107. The drone is registered because of Part 107 use. I haven't heard if the Mini 2 will offer internal Remote ID or if an addon device will be necessary.

From what I gather, the Mini 3 Pro has built-in Remote ID that cannot be turned off. So that means Mini 3 recreational pilots will be broadcasting their ID even though it is not required. I assume that if DJI adds internal Remote ID to the Mini 2 that it will always be active, too.

Question: If I fly recreationally with an external Remote ID solution, can I turn it off? Or does it have to remain on all the time because it is registered for commercial use?

I don't think mini 2 will have it other than aeroscope.

If you have a standard built in module you can't turn it off. But since you are running a retrofit module most likely, you should be able to turn it on and off if they are really intending to respect the recreational part.

From what I gather, the Mini 3 Pro has built-in Remote ID that cannot be turned off. So that means Mini 3 recreational pilots will be broadcasting their ID even though it is not required.
This is incorrect.

Remote ID will need to be on all drones (even those under 250 grams flying recreationally), unless they are flown at a fixed site called a FRIA or FAA Recognized Identification Area. Essentially the FRIA will be current RC airfields. Outside of those, no matter what drone you fly it must have either internal RID or an external Module.

Please see the FAA's website for more details.

FRIA2.jpg

I don't think mini 2 will have it other than aeroscope.

If you have a standard built in module you can't turn it off. But since you are running a retrofit module most likely, you should be able to turn it on and off if they are really intending to respect the recreational part.
Just so there is no confusion, Aeroscope is a ground-based detection system and has nothing to do with RID. As far as RID and recreational use - please see post #4.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
This is incorrect.

Remote ID will need to be on all drones (even those under 250 grams flying recreationally), unless they are flown at a fixed site called a FRIA or FAA Recognized Identification Area. Essentially the FRIA will be current RC airfields. Outside of those, no matter what drone you fly it must have either internal RID or an external Module.

Please see the FAA's website for more details.

View attachment 160191
You stopped reading too soon. The next paragraph -

Which Drone Pilots Must Comply With the Rule?​

All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft.

And, which drones must be registered. From the FAA site -
  • All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Yes I read that too, but I think it is misworded. The illustration I posted clearly doesn't show a fourth category, I believe they (FAA) intends for the non-registered, recreational crowd who fly sub 250 gram drones to to fly at a FRIA or Comply with RID. Why would DJI make the Mini 3 RID compliant if after all it can go unregistered and then skirt RID?

The paragraph above the illustration I posted is very clear . . . .

• Operate (without remote ID equipment) (PDF) at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or schools. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements.

Much like flying a sub 250 gram drone under a 107 for commercial purposes over-rides weight rule, I believe so to will RID, once implemented.

Yes I read that too, but I think it is misworded. The illustration I posted clearly doesn't show a fourth category, I believe they (FAA) intends for the non-registered, recreational crowd who fly sub 250 gram drones to to fly at a FRIA or Comply with RID. Why would DJI make the Mini 3 RID compliant if after all it can go unregistered and then skirt RID?

The paragraph above the illustration I posted is very clear . . . .

• Operate (without remote ID equipment) (PDF) at FAA-recognized identification areas (FRIAs) sponsored by community-based organizations or schools. FRIAs are the only locations unmanned aircraft (drones and radio-controlled airplanes) may operate without broadcasting remote ID message elements.

Much like flying a sub 250 gram drone under a 107 for commercial purposes over-rides weight rule, I believe so to will RID, once implemented.

No, this is not correct.

A drone that does not need to be registered (such as a sub-250g drone used for recreational purposes only) does not need remote id to fly. The only other note/exception is that a sub-250g drone used recreationally for SUSTAINED flights over people will also require remote ID.

Reactions: mobilehomer
No, this is not correct.

A drone that does not need to be registered (such as a sub-250g drone used for recreational purposes only) does not need remote id to fly. The only other note/exception is that a sub-250g drone used recreationally for SUSTAINED flights over people will also require remote ID.
I took (and passed) my Part 107 recurrent test yesterday. The course materials specifically said that sub-250g drones do not require RID when flown for recreational purposes. It may have even been a test question.

Still struggling with the fact that my Mini 2 is registered commercially and whether that alone requires me to broadcast RID even when I am flying recreationally.

Intuitively, I would think it doesn't. But that doesn't carry much weight. It only matters what the FAA says. Maybe this is a "corner case" they haven't thought about, yet. Wouldn't be the first time.

Ty,
Congrats on passing the 107, but I still think you are wrong. If a UAS is registered as commercial, and was permitted to fly under the part 107 recreational flying exception, that would give anyone a means of skirting the FAA while actually flying both commercial and recreational, by simply claiming that (whatever they were doing) was just recreational.

No, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that.

On another point, I don't know whether a drone that was registered one way (Rec or Com) can be re-registered. I don't know where I saw it, so I can't provide a link, but I'm pretty sure I read on an FAA document, that once a drone is registered, it cannot be changed.

If you (or anyone) can prove or disprove this, please provide the link. I'd really like to know for sure.

Ty,
Congrats on passing the 107, but I still think you are wrong. If a UAS is registered as commercial, and was permitted to fly under the part 107 recreational flying exception, that would give anyone a means of skirting the FAA while actually flying both commercial and recreational, by simply claiming that (whatever they were doing) was just recreational.

No, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that.

On another point, I don't know whether a drone that was registered one way (Rec or Com) can be re-registered. I don't know where I saw it, so I can't provide a link, but I'm pretty sure I read on an FAA document, that once a drone is registered, it cannot be changed.

If you (or anyone) can prove or disprove this, please provide the link. I'd really like to know for sure.
I think some people made some of those mistakes on the overly intuitive drone zone.

Reactions: RS Bush Pilot
I took (and passed) my Part 107 recurrent test yesterday. The course materials specifically said that sub-250g drones do not require RID when flown for recreational purposes. It may have even been a test question.

Still struggling with the fact that my Mini 2 is registered commercially and whether that alone requires me to broadcast RID even when I am flying recreationally.

Intuitively, I would think it doesn't. But that doesn't carry much weight. It only matters what the FAA says. Maybe this is a "corner case" they haven't thought about, yet. Wouldn't be the first time.
It would be interesting to email [email protected] to get their take on this.

Reactions: RS Bush Pilot

At this point, I can’t give you the exact path to accomplish this, but I changed the registration of my (then) Air2 from recreational to commercial after getting my 107.

Thanks @Dbez1. I will give that a try and report back if/when I get a response.
Cobra, congratulations on your 107. When you email uashelp, you might also want to ask them how to change your drones from recreational to commercial if you haven’t already.

I can't really answer as to whether or not you'll need remote ID to fly recreationally if it's registered already.

But if you do get a RemoteID Module for future reference, for recreational you can use one module for your fleet (which also happens to have the same FAA number for the whole fleet). But if the drone is registered under part 107, each module is uniquely tied to each drone (which also have their own unique registration number), you can't just buy one module and swap between them. Not a big deal if you only own one drone.

If OP flies his drone for part 107 operations the drone must be registered for pt. 107. He can fly it as a recreational flight while the drone is registered as part 107 but you can't use a drone registered as recreational for part 107 operations. I can't find anything in the FAA AC 107-2A (dated 2/1/21) that discusses RID in the context of aircraft registration.

Whether you are a recreational or a commercial sUAS pilot, remote ID is required. Unless you are under 250 grams.
And there's the rub. 90% of my flying is recreational and my Mini 2 is sub-250g. No RID needed for that.

I only got my Part 107 to help out my wife who is in real estate. My Mini 2 is registered for commercial use. I don't even get paid but happy wife, happy life.

Main reason for chasing this is I share the concerns of others that RID could allow folks to find the controller (and you) and harass you. If I can avoid broadcasting RID when flying recreationally that would be ideal.

I sent off an email to UAShelp. Got one response but wrote back asking for additional clarification. That was late Friday so not expecting a response until next week. Will post the response when I get an answer.

Reactions: Poogan and AlanL
Ok...here is the gist of what I was told by the folks at [email protected].

1. A sub-250g drone is not required to transmit RID when flying for recreational purposes.
2. A sub-250g drone that is registered for Part 107 must transmit RID when flying recreationally unless:
a. The sub-250g drone is registered for recreational purposes in addition to its existing commercial registration (dual registration).
b. The add-on broadcast module is able to be removed from the drone when flying recreationally. That makes sense because if the module cannot be removed then the drone likely weighs 250g+ which requires active RID.
c. The drone is labeled with both the commercial and recreational registration numbers.

The surprising item, for me, I did not know that a drone can simultaneously have dual (recreation and commercial) registration numbers.

Why did I want to know this? Well, I fly 90% recreationally and I would prefer not to broadcast my location so as to keep all the Nosey Nellies away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998