DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID Module Question for Older Drones

Ramboat

Reactions
I have 5 older drones registered under part 107. Can I use one Remote ID Module to fly these drones recreationally only or do I need a separate module for each drone? Thanks.

I have 5 older drones registered under part 107. Can I use one Remote ID Module to fly these drones recreationally only or do I need a separate module for each drone? Thanks.
Are all 5 of those drones more than 250g?

My understanding is that under part 107 you need one RID per drone. If you want to fly those drones recreationally, then you can un-register then under part 107 and use one RID for all of them since they will all be using your recreational registration. But I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV.

As noted here, all drones that are registered must comply with the RID requirements. That means all drones registered under Part 107 (even those weighing less than 250 grams) must be equipment with RID.

I have 5 older drones registered under part 107. Can I use one Remote ID Module to fly these drones recreationally only or do I need a separate module for each drone?
You can also fly those drones recreationally, but they each need their own RID module since they have been registered under Part 107. The serial numbers for those RID numbers should have been assigned to the individual drones when you registered them. Or you should update your Part 107 registrations if that hasn't already been done.

You can only swap an RID module between drones that have been registered under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations.

Can I use one Remote ID Module to fly these drones recreationally only.....
If you want to fly those drones recreationally, then you can un-register then under part 107 and use one RID for all of them.....
This was going to be my answer since the OP said "recreationally only" which means you need to cancel the part 107 registration for 1 or for all 5. Then....recreational register only the drones >250g and use one RID module for 1 or for all 5.

Different answer if you are plan to remain part 107 and use the option to fly recreational from time to time.

You can also fly those drones recreationally, but they each need their own RID module since they have been registered under Part 107. The serial numbers for those RID numbers should have been assigned to the individual drones when you registered them. Or you should update your Part 107 registrations if that hasn't already been done.

You can only swap an RID module between drones that have been registered under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations.
Thank you for your clarification.

I am a 72 year old who really enjoys the hobby to the point that I am Part 107 Certified. Owner of 10 DJI Drones of which 5 have the RID built in. Not in the hobby to make money….just enjoyment. Figured that there may be a way to save a few dollars by not having to buy RID Modules for the 5 older drones that are all over 250 grams.

Thanks again for your help.

Figured that there may be a way to save a few dollars by not having to buy RID Modules for the 5 older drones that are all over 250 grams.
As noted above, it is possible if you re-register all of those drones under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations (for recreational use only). That of course means you could never fly them under Part 107 rules.

If flying under 107 each plane has to have its own RID. AS A RECREATIONAL FLYER. You can use one RId for both planes

If flying under 107 each plane has to have its own RID. AS A RECREATIONAL FLYER. You can use one RId for both planes
For clarification, the same person can fly under both Part 107 and the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations. What matters in this case is how the drone is registered.

For clarification, the same person can fly under both Part 107 and the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations. What matters in this case is how the drone is registered.
I believe that if your drone is under 250g and registered for Part 107 commercial use, you still must have/use RID even when flying recreationally.

I have this issue with my Mini 2. It's registered for commercial use. RID is not internally supported so I need an external module. Of course adding the external RID module will put it over 250g which means it needs an RID module because of the added weight of the RID module.

How's that for circular logic? I have a migraine...

Reactions: Ramboat
I believe that if your drone is under 250g and registered for Part 107 commercial use, you still must have/use RID even when flying recreationally.
All registered drones (Part 107 or not) must broadcast RID data when flying.

I have this issue with my Mini 2. It's registered for commercial use. RID is not internally supported so I need an external module. Of course adding the external RID module will put it over 250g which means it needs an RID module because of the added weight of the RID module.
It would also always need RID (even when flying recreationally) because it's registered.

I have a Mavic Air (Gen 1) and I need to buy a RID Module . Will the Holystone HSRID01 module work as required ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne