DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID

Even kind enough to not only alert the person looking for you, but even include possible viols to have when they call in on you.
Granted I can understand the bit about AGL, but what are they determining to be the threshold for VLOS and when I last looked at the FAA graphics, VLOS didn't seem to be required for Remote ID (least not when it goes into effect in September).

1667356995906.png

Reactions: mavictk
Granted I can understand the bit about AGL, but what are they determining to be the threshold for VLOS and when I last looked at the FAA graphics, VLOS didn't seem to be required for Remote ID (least not when it goes into effect in September).

View attachment 156603
Very true! The ambiguity we are held to, leaves the gray area for Karens to weaponize, regardless of validity or application. LEO tries and does their job to their best ability and law application, but gray area doesn’t help.
Nice is FAA could have thought of some of this before requiring it.

Very true! The ambiguity we are held to, leaves the gray area for Karens to weaponize, regardless of validity or application. LEO tries and does their job to their best ability and law application, but gray area doesn’t help.
Nice is FAA could have thought of some of this before requiring it.
And the court said that this wasn't going to be a violation of the fourth amendment.

I think it still will be if they don't gain the information they want from the remote ID, they'll then ask for your automated flight records.

Last edited:
Was it meant for the US or for remote id in other countries? Seems the ones in UK utilize mobile.
That's where there is some controversy, What is the faa approving for the states if it isn't going to be used in the states? Or rather the court case that the unreliable nature of cellular networks made it to where they weren't going to require cellular remote id. Is the faa being flagrant/arrogant? Or just for people to choose to use cellular and report their position to the world anyway? And the cellular use was going to be reported through the cell phone that drives the quad. Do I need a separate Sim card for the Remote ID unit itself or does it just somehow snitch on me?

Obviously some confusion here based on a few screen shots, but lets not get too carried away. In the US:

1 - You do not need cellular for remote id. For "standard" remote ID (the left one in the picture a few posts above) the location of the base station/pilot needs to be broadcasted. The error message of "connect to network to get location" is probably a bad one, but clearly the location was not picked up for the message.

2 - You are not allowed to fly beyond visual line of site currently absent a rare waiver. The FAA is in the process of exploring rules to allow BVLOS in certain circumstances (who knows if that will apply to regular users and consumer type drones) and what is noted is that in order to get those future rules to apply, you will need the "standard" type of remote ID. Having the standard type of remote ID does not grant you BVLOS. It is required if the other to-be-determine rules or waivers apply.

View attachment 156603
On board remote ID is the only case where you are not limited to VLOS. Wonder why the distinction for an add-on module makes any difference?

On board remote ID is the only case where you are not limited to VLOS. Wonder why the distinction for an add-on module makes any difference?

The Add on module does not broadcast the current location of the controller, only the take off point.

And, as noted above, you are still limited to VLOS in all cases (for now).

The Add on module does not broadcast the current location of the controller, only the take off point.

And, as noted above, you are still limited to VLOS in all cases (for now).
The current rules say that BVLOS can't be daisychained observers in order to extend the range beyond VLOS. So how does somebody with the ability to receive the remote ID broadcast allow someone to fly BVLOS? They're holding up BVLOS in exchange for something else unrelated. Don't understand what remote ID has to do with lifting BVLOS restrictions. I smell some bait and switch going on.

The current rules say that BVLOS can't be daisychained observers in order to extend the range beyond VLOS. So how does somebody with the ability to receive the remote ID broadcast allow someone to fly BVLOS? They're holding up BVLOS in exchange for something else unrelated. Don't understand what remote ID has to do with lifting BVLOS restrictions. I smell some bait and switch going on.

I wouldn't go all conspiracy theory on this, the rules are not even written yet. Seems pretty basic though....If you want to fly BVLOS, they want to know where you and your drone are.

Having Remote ID for BVLOS is one of the few (maybe only) cases where it makes sense for the public to be able to access the data. If you are approved for a flight, would be good to know if there are other drones in the area and where they are so that you could avoid a collision, since you can no longer visually see what is around your drone.

I suspect most BVLOS stuff is geared towards true commercial applications like inspections and delivery, but if/when the sky gets more crowded with commercial and recreational drones, it's not hard to image incidents -- such as some flyer recklessly close to a pizza delivery drone or something, and that is the stuff remote id will help sort out.

Do you know of any apps? The only one I know is Drone Scanner but it only recognizes Bluetooth.
Hi, I am Jan from company Dronetag, we created the Drone Scanner app. The app recognizes BT and WiFi, depending on your mobile device and its technology. In the Preferences section you can see what is your device capable of.Screenshot_20221103_112020_cz.dronetag.dronescanner.jpg

Was it meant for the US or for remote id in other countries? Seems the ones in UK utilize mobile.
Hi Karl, my name is Jan and I work for Dronetag. Our solution for NDRI and DRI is ment to be used all around the world. DRI with Bluetooth can be used anywhere, NDRI with both Network and Direct / Broadcast Remote ID depends on the country you plan to use it in. In this moment, we use multiple network providers, depending on the country you plan to use the device. To have most of the EU and USA market covered, we decided to create 3 hardware variants of our Dronetag devices with different SIM chips soldered on board. These 3 options are marked with letters A, K, and V, and you can find which one you own under CE symbol on your device sticker. Each variant is compatible with multiple cellular networks in country where we operate. You can see more details about over coverage here: https://help.dronetag.cz/knowledge-base/dronetag-cellular-coverage/

You might say a couple on the remote ID board, T Mobile or Verizon (the worst, they lock every bootloader on every phone on their network so it can't be rooted or modded because it might hurt their network somehow) have had some optimism over how all of this was going to work out. Remember they were looking at the network remote ID on the most reliable cell networks out in the boondocks to track every flight. Of course that fell through, figure the rest of it would too. FAA probably don't have any idea I'm guessing.

Be funny if it all went in the trash or at least the drawing board. Most likely not very many people were going to have access to aeroscope either along with the limited manpower.
I agree, well said.

If you are on an airspace surface waiver, what good does remote ID do? They already know where you'd operate, who you are and most likely what you'd be doing. Other than you already have to be registered for part 107 operations, and remote ID comes with all that, but what purpose would it really serve to have remote ID when you're operating under an airspace waiver?

If you are on an airspace surface waiver, what good does remote ID do? They already know where you'd operate, who you are and most likely what you'd be doing. Other than you already have to be registered for part 107 operations, and remote ID comes with all that, but what purpose would it really serve to have remote ID when you're operating under an airspace waiver?
To know the folks who aren't.

Hi Karl, my name is Jan and I work for Dronetag. Our solution for NDRI and DRI is ment to be used all around the world. DRI with Bluetooth can be used anywhere, NDRI with both Network and Direct / Broadcast Remote ID depends on the country you plan to use it in. In this moment, we use multiple network providers, depending on the country you plan to use the device. To have most of the EU and USA market covered, we decided to create 3 hardware variants of our Dronetag devices with different SIM chips soldered on board. These 3 options are marked with letters A, K, and V, and you can find which one you own under CE symbol on your device sticker. Each variant is compatible with multiple cellular networks in country where we operate. You can see more details about over coverage here: https://help.dronetag.cz/knowledge-base/dronetag-cellular-coverage/
Hi, question. I downloaded the app on my android phone and tablet, and it is not tracking anything. I played with the setting and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd party probably needs to pay more or adjust their app to meet policy to access more of the hardware benefits.
I owned an android phone and tablet, my phone is 4g. The app is not picking up anything, Samsung galaxy S10 and Samsung galaxy Tab S4

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom