DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote interference

Reactions
I’ve read conflicting information on this topic, hoping someone here knows. What could cause interference and loss of connection between the Air 2S and the remote? I know structures, but I’ve recently read Bluetooth and WiFi on your phone, or even an Apple Watch. Is that true? I have lost connection once and it was terrifying!!!

It happened to me as well. Video dropped out and then I lost contact with the drone. It went into ”return home” mode and I was able to reestablish contact before it landed. VERY scary.

Reactions: CaffeinatedDrone
I’ve read conflicting information on this topic, hoping someone here knows. What could cause interference and loss of connection between the Air 2S and the remote? I know structures, but I’ve recently read Bluetooth and WiFi on your phone, or even an Apple Watch. Is that true? I have lost connection once and it was terrifying!!!
Wifi on your phone does not affect range, Bluetooth will have nothing to do with it, and the Apple Watch may only mess with your compass if you get it close enough (not very likely). The main culprit to signal loss is LOS (radio waves do not bend, though they may partially reflect from surfaces) and areas of high interference such as city centers that have lots of signals bouncing around. Try raising altitude so you can see the drone. There are some cases that people have had to send it back to DJI and they’ve replaced them. If you’re flying from an elevated position with no obstructions in the middle of nowhere and you still consistently lose signal, you may need to send it back.

Wifi on your phone does not affect range, Bluetooth will have nothing to do with it, and the Apple Watch may only mess with your compass if you get it close enough (not very likely). The main culprit to signal loss is LOS (radio waves do not bend, though they may partially reflect from surfaces) and areas of high interference such as city centers that have lots of signals bouncing around. Try raising altitude so you can see the drone. There are some cases that people have had to send it back to DJI and they’ve replaced them. If you’re flying from an elevated position with no obstructions in the middle of nowhere and you still consistently lose signal, you may need to send it back.
I fly from a 2 story balcony most of the time. I am above the treeline. There is an area of houses and 2 radio towers in close proximity. When I fly in between them, I begin losing signal. It's the same place on all my drones. I have to increase elevation to get away from all the signal clutter near the ground. Once I get past the point, I can decrease the altitude of my drone and go significantly further without any interference. It's like a mini Bermuda Triangle for me. And, yes, I do lose signal sometimes, when I fly over the area too low. I have the Return home set to increase altitude before coming home, by then the signal comes back, so I cancel the RTH and continue on my way. RTH is not scary for me anymore. When I was new, it was scary to see a blank screen, and not knowing what your drone is doing. But now, I just get a little bored and wait for the signal to pop up again.

I fly from a 2 story balcony most of the time. I am above the treeline. There is an area of houses and 2 radio towers in close proximity. When I fly in between them, I begin losing signal. It's the same place on all my drones. I have to increase elevation to get away from all the signal clutter near the ground. Once I get past the point, I can decrease the altitude of my drone and go significantly further without any interference. It's like a mini Bermuda Triangle for me. And, yes, I do lose signal sometimes, when I fly over the area too low. I have the Return home set to increase altitude before coming home, by then the signal comes back, so I cancel the RTH and continue on my way. RTH is not scary for me anymore. When I was new, it was scary to see a blank screen, and not knowing what your drone is doing. But now, I just get a little bored and wait for the signal to pop up again.
Very helpful, thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123