DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote way to transfer files without a laptop?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I plan on taking a long roadtrip this summer on a motorcycle that will last well over a week (one way) .
As you can imagine I'll have limited storage and wondering if I can get by without a laptop but I can't imagine a way to transfer files from the sd card to a usb stick.
Does anyone have an alternative or do I need to just buy some more cards (or find room for the laptop)?
Thanks,
Randy

Android phones often support USB storage. There are also portable hard drives with a built-in card reader that can do a one-click backup on their own.

Reactions: Galeforce1
There are also portable hard drives with a built-in card reader that can do a one-click backup on their own.
Oh cool, that's something I haven't seen I'll look for one of those...thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Dawnvt
I plan on taking a long roadtrip this summer on a motorcycle that will last well over a week (one way) .
As you can imagine I'll have limited storage and wondering if I can get by without a laptop but I can't imagine a way to transfer files from the sd card to a usb stick.
Does anyone have an alternative or do I need to just buy some more cards (or find room for the laptop)?
Thanks,
Randy
Got mine from Amazon

Thanks all, I've decided that since a 256GB card is less than $50, I'll just buy a couple more cards.
Thanks again,
Randy

Thanks all, I've decided that since a 256GB card is less than $50,
After having a SD card break I'm afraid to put all my eggs in one basket but I guess you're doing the same thing with any kind of storage. A long motorcycle trip sounds like just the ticket. looking forward to some to you sharing some views :)

After having a SD card break I'm afraid to put all my eggs in one basket but I guess you're doing the same thing with any kind of storage. A long motorcycle trip sounds like just the ticket. looking forward to some to you sharing some views :)
Actually, I think of having footage on 3 SD cards like putting them in 3 baskets.
I'll post some projects as I upload them...thanks!

Thanks,
Randy
A couple of 128 / 256 GB cards should work well. I'd think you'd have more issues "charging" the batteries to keep the drone flying than not having enough storage on an SD card.

A couple of 128 / 256 GB cards should work well. I'd think you'd have more issues "charging" the batteries to keep the drone flying than not having enough storage on an SD card.
I can charge the (4) batteries at my motel room at night...or if I have room I could bring my inverter and charge one at a time in one of my fairing pockets.

Reactions: jgullam
I'd suggest a more durable motorcycle if you expect to return home. ?
It's a Goldwing GL1800 with 42K miles on it...I'm not concerned considering they are one of the most, if not the most durable/reliable bikes sold ?

Reactions: Greasy
Got mine from Amazon
Do you know if you can use this FiberHub device to transfer photos / videos directly between the SD card and a portable SSD/HDD without first having to transfer them to the WiFi device (I have an iPad, but does not have much storage, so transferring to iPad then back to SSD is not ideal). Also, the HDs with built in SD readers are relatively expensive (which is why the OP is planning on using a couple of 256GB SD cards).

Hi Randy
I currently use a hoo too tripmate to transfer from SD card to hard drive. The trio mate creates its own wireless network I connect my phone / tablet to and use the tripmate app to transfer the files.
Garry

Reactions: jgullam
For me it would mean buying a (larger than I currently own) portable HD plus something to transfer from so for me I think I should just buy a couple more 256gb sd cards and not have to transfer until I get back home and transfer directly to my edit computer.
Thanks again all!

Hi Randy
I currently use a hoo too tripmate to transfer from SD card to hard drive. The trio mate creates its own wireless network I connect my phone / tablet to and use the tripmate app to transfer the files.
Garry
Hi Randy. Do you need to do a double transfer using the Tripmate ... 1st transfer from SD to iPad/iPhone, then transfer a 2nd time from iPad/iPhone to the HD (or SSD) Drive, or can you go from the SD card directly to the HD/SSD in one transfer? Also, what transfer speeds do you achieve?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor