DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

removing height limitation

Can't believe I read all this. Guess I'm not really awake yet.

Don't know why people keep insisting on FAA and 400 ft. It is not illegal and neither is 5000ft in a Mavic or any drone used for recreational purposes. There are tons of reasons to fly over 1600ft. I just climbed 3,500 to get to the top of a mountain. Lots to see up there.
The only thing up for debate is what "you" think is safe, dumb, dangerous. And, that is subjective. Sarcastically speaking, I've seen planes in my own neighborhood lower than 400 ft. ANYONE that flies over 200 ft is endangering people and lives, DON"T DO IT!
Doesn't that sound silly?
Some people think there is no reason to fly over 200. Some think 400 is insane. DJI obviously thinks 1,600 is acceptable. I think 6,000+ is fine. Just choose where you fly safely and since there is no law or regulation on the height. Just remember, what you think a max safe height is, IS just your opinion.

Hey, its all subjective, be smart fly smart.

Don't know why people keep insisting on FAA and 400 ft. It is not illegal and neither is 5000ft in a Mavic or any drone used for recreational purposes. There are tons of reasons to fly over 1600ft. I just climbed 3,500 to get to the top of a mountain. Lots to see up there.
The only thing up for debate is what "you" think is safe, dumb, dangerous. And, that is subjective. Sarcastically speaking, I've seen planes in my own neighborhood lower than 400 ft. ANYONE that flies over 200 ft is endangering people and lives, DON"T DO IT!
Doesn't that sound silly?
Some people think there is no reason to fly over 200. Some think 400 is insane. DJI obviously thinks 1,600 is acceptable. I think 6,000+ is fine. Just choose where you fly safely and since there is no law or regulation on the height. Just remember, what you think a max safe height is, IS just your opinion.

Hey, its all subjective, be smart fly smart.

Exactly. "400ft police" here is like Mr. Bean in a cop outfit standing on an autoban in Germany with no speed limit, giving tickets to fast drivers at a sharp turn with 100km/h recommended speed sign. :D:D:D

johnny+english+poster.jpg

If you are a 107 pilot, when you register your Mavic with DJI, you set up an account, it requires you to verify your identity even asking for a credit card. once logged in go to FLY SAFE tab and there you can unlock any area including altitude limitation unless it is Classified, Restricted, NO FLY or Class B airspace at which point you would need FAA approval. So the point of this is you can unlock this if you have a reason to FLY past the locked ranges of the Mavic, but you put your ASSETS on the line when doing so. Here are some screenshots from the Fly SAFE,page on DJI. We use this when we fly a project that may require us to fly above 400 or say in some airspace.

It's not about being a Drone COP as some seem to think, we are talking about the safety of persons and property here, and potentially loss of life, these are not toys guys to be messing with in airspace that other people travel in, so please be respectful and mindful of the risk you are taking. I would like nothing more than to fly 1,000 to 5000 AGL daily but we have these rules for a reason.
Be safe and have fun!

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 6.33.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 6.33.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 6.33.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 6.33.02 PM.png theScreen Shot 2017-12-09 at 6.33.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 6.33.02 PM.png

If you want to fly over a mountain simply unlock the drone and you can do so provided it is NOT a no-fly zone... Please post pics always cool to look at epic pics.

very cool, thanks for sharing!! How did you overcome the 400' AGL limit , this looks higher than 400' ?

very cool, thanks for sharing!! How did you overcome the 400' AGL limit , this looks higher than 400' ?
The Mavic will allow you to go to 1600 feet. It is defaulted to 400’. Open settings and change max altitude from 120 meters to 600 meters.

Actually flying over 400 ft is perfectly fine if you’re flying over a structure that is over 400 ft tall and staying within 400 ft of it. For example, if you want to fly over a 1000 ft tall sky scraper, that’s fine, just stay within 400 feet of it. You can legally go to 1400 ft in this example.

Reactions: MistDrone
Understood, I also live at 5000ft, my only real point is that we should not discuss flights over 400ft AGL.

I can fly 50 feet AGL up the side of the mountain, but once I’ve gained a total of 500m of elevation it shuts me down. There’s plenty of use cases when you gain more than 500m of elevation without exceeding 400 feet AGL.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I can fly 50 feet AGL up the side of the mountain, but once I’ve gained a total of 500m of elevation it shuts me down. There’s plenty of use cases when you gain more than 500m of elevation without exceeding 400 feet AGL.

Yep. One doesn't even need to fly in the mountains to be stumbled by this stupid 500m ATOP limit - there's millions of square miles in Great Basin Plato where you can fly at 50ft AGL and gain 3000-4000ft ATOP just following the gently rising desert.

It's not against FAA rules.. I'm 107 certified and you can fly up to 1600' You're allowed up to 400' above the top of what you're photographing. For instance in photographing a 1200' tower you can go up to 400' above that.

Why would anyone want to fly over 400ft. The mavic is too hard to see. Not to mention it's also against FAA rules. Quit posting these questions, it only draws attention that we don't want.

Why would anyone want to drive faster than 70 MPH? I mean the speed limit is 70 MPH on most interstates in the United States why are there SO MANY cars that can go 100 MPH+?

Why would anyone want to fly over 400ft. The mavic is too hard to see. Not to mention it's also against FAA rules. Quit posting these questions, it only draws attention that we don't want.

Sorry, but boring or not, dbparti24 is right. If we continue to boast about our attempts to ignore common sense safety practices, we will invite further scrutiny and more unnecessary restrictions.

Whether it happens to be against the rules for you personally or not, it is still an horrifically unwise thing to do. Why would you want to? For what purpose? Bragging rights?

I'd say, your right to brag ceases where my right to safely fly begins.

You're right. I'd wish people would stop flying over 50 feet. What can you hope to see at 100 feet that can't be done at 50? Rediculous people. If a drone e fell on me at 100 feet I'd petition the state to outlaw drones.

What do you consider common sense practices?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada