DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

removing height limitation

This afternoon I was testing my new MP when I came upon this **** altitude testriction. After flying single and multi engined airplanes and helicopters internationally starting in the 1950s I respect the reasoning and intent of the 400' max altitude but the way it is setup I can't fly my new MP where I live 9 months a year up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains. Sometimes I need 500' to 600' for the return altitude as within 3 to 4 miles of my house I have deep canyons and mountain tops up over 11,000' and some cliffs with vertical cliff faces of over 2,500'. Tonight I found that my MP stopped climbing just short of 400'. I reset the max altitude to 500 meters 4 times agreeing each time to the pop-up and each time it changed the max altitude to 121 meters! I have no problems with my Phantoms or Inspire 1V2. What MP Firmware do I have to roll back to as I know that Mavic Pros can fly higher than 121 meters.

If you are a 107 pilot, when you register your Mavic with DJI, you set up an account, it requires you to verify your identity even asking for a credit card.

Is this something new? (requiring a credit card to register)

What firmware version puts these height limitations.

Anything after 1.3.800 does not allow for editing parameters. The 500 meter limitation was always there though. It's just that .800 and below allowed height parameters to be altered/edited.

Can anybody in this thread summarize, authoritatively, the current Mavic maximum altitude? I bought my drone to do volcano geology in the Sonoran desert, well away from people, airports and cities. The cones are 100 m and the mountain is 1000 m.

I understand that the most recent firmware upgrade is permanent and cannot be rolled back. What do I need to do to avoid having to climb every GD cone?

Sorry, but boring or not, dbparti24 is right. If we continue to boast about our attempts to ignore common sense safety practices, we will invite further scrutiny and more unnecessary restrictions.

Whether it happens to be against the rules for you personally or not, it is still an horrifically unwise thing to do. Why would you want to? For what purpose? Bragging rights?

I'd say, your right to brag ceases where my right to safely fly begins.
I see this more as an issue of free speech. We are all here to talk drones. Why in the world should we be censoring ourselves? We are the ones who are figuring out and discussing the "how-to's" of this industry. We should not only be allowed - but encouraged to have such discussions, without worrying about who's going to be reading our words. This is not irresponsible. This is where you go to have such discussions. My $0.02...

Reactions: rysingsun and JMF
I’m updating now to 01.04.0100 and am in the US, I hope there’s no nonsense like this on this update. Why are they doing this?

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I feel I have to no? I always want the latest software so I can be sure the craft operates properly. Am I wrong?

Yes. We are discussing the topic "removing height limitation". You won't be able to do that once you upgrade. The craft operates properly on older FW, too, it's not like they fixed a bug that makes your Mavic want to fly to Zimbabwe.

Yes. We are discussing the topic "removing height limitation". You won't be able to do that once you upgrade. The craft operates properly on older FW, too, it's not like they fixed a bug that makes your Mavic want to fly to Zimbabwe.

I’m new to the drone thing and spent a whole paycheck on this ****** so I don’t want to play with it and not update it just yet. Sorry I’m not super cool and know everything about it and the process in which you do or don’t update it like you do buddy. You should tell me more about your drone and all the mods you’ve done to it [emoji1361]

Every update they throw in a new feature to make it worthy of upgrading the firmware while they secretly remove others. One has to look at those new features and decide if it's worth it given up some of the older features like no height restrictions. For me I did not care to take those spherical photos with latest FW so it was a no-brainer for me do not take the firmware update; not worth it. My friend and his mavic... he uses that stuff so it's more important for him to have those new features. On hind sight for him, he's missing hose mountain climbs that I do going to 3_5,000 ft You must decide what you wants to do with your drone. For example...I *believe" that the latest FW prevents you from ever downgrading FW again. If taken, you'll never be able to remove flight restrictions like height. Is a photossphere worth it?

Last edited:
I’m new to the drone thing and spent a whole paycheck on this ****** so I don’t want to play with it and not update it just yet. Sorry I’m not super cool and know everything about it and the process in which you do or don’t update it like you do buddy. You should tell me more about your drone and all the mods you’ve done to it [emoji1361]

My advice is to not update it immediately, dismiss all prompts to update and you can still fly it just fine. Take your time, learn to fly. In a month, you'll learn its limits and will know what FW you want. The latest FW is irreversible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143