DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

removing height limitation

Sorry,
I just get the feeling most of the anti-firmware army still thinks their drone wont even take off in every NFZ
I can give you a little background on us anti-firmware people :D... Between versions 1.03.0700 and .0900 there was a forced FW update. This is when DJI started to collect information from every user, against their wishes. The US military stopped using DJI products as a result of this. DJI has been doing some pretty shady things that just made many of us step back to evaluate the situation.

I can give you a little background on us anti-firmware people :D... Between versions 1.03.0700 and .0900 there was a forced FW update. This is when DJI started to collect information from every user, against their wishes. The US military stopped using DJI products as a result of this. DJI has been doing some pretty shady things that just made many of us step back to evaluate the situation.

OOOOH! Scary........ Good thing I dont have or do anything DJI would have any interest in. I hope your super secret spy files are safe!
Even if, I may have to revert to windows 95, or maybe even DOS. I cant do linux, because I have friends and don't want to invite any unwanted ridicule from them.

Reactions: Qoncussion
So there is or isn’t altitude restriction with 01.04.0100? Lol I was told earlier I’m “SOL” with it as far as this thread goes regarding height limitation.

So there is or isn’t altitude restriction with 01.04.0100? Lol I was told earlier I’m “SOL” with it as far as this thread goes regarding height limitation.
As I said, I have the latest firmware. The limit is 500 meters above take off altitude. You change it in the app, it will warn you, then allow the change to be made.

Indeed you are SOL on being able to roll back to a previous FW version, which would have allowed you to alter the maximum height setting beyond your current 500m limitation ~among other things. As of .0100 you are locked in.

Indeed you are SOL on being able to roll back to a previous FW version, which would have allowed you to alter the maximum height setting beyond your current 500m limitation ~among other things. As of .0100 you are locked in.

Ok thanks!

As I said, I have the latest firmware. The limit is 500 meters above take off altitude. You change it in the app, it will warn you, then allow the change to be made.

Ok thanks. 1600ft. is plenty lol. I’m in Jersey. I’ll get my drone taken away before I can fly that high anywhere anyway. The rest of whatever else I’m losing from the update I won’t miss since everything else that I knew of is still there and behaving the same way. All is well then I would say.

I agree on the shady business. Not a good vibe from that. I would imagine big companies with the best technology like apple lets say, are doing things against our will and spying/stealing information. It’s part of that world domination that every CEO of a major company secretly wants.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Ok thanks. 1600ft. is plenty lol. I’m in Jersey. I’ll get my drone taken away before I can fly that high anywhere anyway.

If you're 100% sure than you'll NEVER need freedom of no limits, then yes. But it often happens that in the beginning we don't see the whole road ahead.

Example: a pilot who lives on flat land (Flat Earth? :D) and thinks 1640ft is plenty, goes on vacation to Europe, to beautiful Swiss Alps, Italian Dolomites, etc. There, 500m ATOP is... NOTHING. You'll WANT to fly higher there and take gorgeous footage of mountains. Another example: gently rising desert of Great Basin in the U.S. West - it can rise 3000-4000ft easily, and 500m can be very limiting.

Again, it's all individual, but many pilots need the ability to fly higher than 500m ATOP every day.

If you're 100% sure than you'll NEVER need freedom of no limits, then yes. But it often happens that in the beginning we don't see the whole road ahead.

Example: a pilot who lives on flat land (Flat Earth? :D) and thinks 1640ft is plenty, goes on vacation to Europe, to beautiful Swiss Alps, Italian Dolomites, etc. There, 500m ATOP is... NOTHING. You'll WANT to fly higher there and take gorgeous footage of mountains. Another example: gently rising desert of Great Basin in the U.S. West - it can rise 3000-4000ft easily, and 500m can be very limiting.

Again, it's all individual, but many pilots need the ability to fly higher than 500m ATOP every day.

Lol I appreciate your insight and experience/knowledge on the subject. I don’t mean to disrespect guys that need/want more. I’m aware there’s a ton of people that use these professionally as well. Just a rookie and recreationally flying. I don’t see myself going to Europe anytime soon but I know what you mean. You’ll have to excuse my ignorance on the subject. Again the feedback is much appreciated.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Yep, was doing a flight to the top of local mountains with my mavic buddy {bought at same time}, but when his stops climbing at 1600ft and I keep going to the top...priceless.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
There has to be a hack for this, right? Seems ridiculous that there is no way to roll back? Maybe not the conventional way, but there has to be a way, right? [emoji16]

I updated to the latest firmware before any of these threads about height came along.

Totally agree with extreme drone pilot. What if you're in another country and want to hit 3k ft to cruise a mountain range or something.

There has to be a hack for this, right? Seems ridiculous that there is no way to roll back? Maybe not the conventional way, but there has to be a way, right? [emoji16]

I updated to the latest firmware before any of these threads about height came along.

Totally agree with extreme drone pilot. What if you're in another country and want to hit 3k ft to cruise a mountain range or something.

So far, no luck with hacking .0100.

the 500 m limit is nonsense. they should limit based on proximity to no fly zones. If you are within 5 miles of an airport it should autolimit you to 500 m. Otherwise, it shouldn't.

waiting for the way to downgrade. I wish I hadn't clicked that upgrade firmware on nov 27, what a mistake.

waiting for the way to downgrade. I wish I hadn't clicked that upgrade firmware on nov 27, what a mistake.
I feel ya man. I didn't realize this was the case either or I wouldn't have upgraded. I'm confident there will be a hack for this sometime in the future. Just have to be patient I suppose....

Why would anyone want to fly over 400ft. The mavic is too hard to see. Not to mention it's also against FAA rules. Quit posting these questions, it only draws attention that we don't want.
Why do people still say this crap? FYI, there are >NO< FAA restrictions against flying your drone over 400 ft, The AMA has an ADVISORY to not fly over 400 ft. within 3 miles of an airport. Congress has directed the FAA to NOT make ANY regulations concerning model aircraft, and your drone (under 55 lbs.) falls squarely in that category.

Too bad that so many people have trouble with common sense, both in the FAA, and in the modeling community.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan