DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

rename "keep current mode"

ruggb

Reactions
I am a little confused about this mode. If I were to call it "settings mode", where "settings" is referring to what is set under "video settings" would that be more understandable than "CURRENT". I am assuming this menu is just a convenient shortcut to 720, 1080, or whatever one has set.

Is that correct???

Or maybe I am so confused I have no clue what this does!

There are different video transmission modes, and there's an option to use the currently selected mode as default..

That isn't what I am understanding. What you are saying is that if Smooth mode is currently selected and you select "Keep current mode" it will just go back to Smooth mode. That in itself makes no sense. That would be redundant with Cancel.

Of course, as I stated, "Keep current mode" makes no sense either for whatever it does. However, it must do something different than Cancel or select one of the 2 modes above it.

Check out this video at 7:00 + and give me your interpretation explaining how "Keep current mode" makes sense.

When you power the goggles on they will switch the aircraft into either smooth mode or HD mode when one of those is selected. If "Keep current mode" is selected then it'll just leave the aircraft in whatever mode it's in and not switch it.

But this video is super old and although I haven't looked closely recently I'm pretty sure those choices have changed and "Keep Current Mode" is long gone, at least with an MP connected. Should have Normal (720p30), Smooth (720p60) and HD (1080p).

Are you just referring to the video or do you actually have the goggles and seeing that in them?

Video tutorials are a very bad reference for things that evolve quickly such as this kind of product, whatever's said in them can become obsolete a week later and only mislead and confuse people from then on. Text-based instructions can easily be adjusted as things change (not to say they always are) but a video cannot.

Last edited:
Well, "NORMAL" would make more sense than "CURRENT", and the video does indicate that it will switch to 720p30. Then it seems to refer to the manual settings as being what it switches to. If so, then NORMAL no longer makes sense and some form of CURRENT is better, like CURRENT VIDEO SETTING". I guess the only way to know for sure is to connect it and do it. I have not reached that point yet.

I just checked and the video is indeed outdated.

Initially when the goggles came out there were 2 video modes and "keep current" like in the video. But it very quickly changed with a firmware update to having 3 video modes instead, labelled Normal / Smooth / HD and corresponding to what I mentioned in brackets.

So don't refer to the video for that.

my f/w is up to date (I think) and still says "keep current mode".

What is the definition of "Normal"?

I guess I should have done this long ago, but there is just too much to absorb for a new user.
I previously only had the goggles on when I saw the option "KEEP CURRENT". I just connected everything up (and studied it all) and got a different menu with NORMAL and not KEEP CURRENT. It think the menu tool tips make it clear now.

SMOOTH MODE = 720P60 - Changing video format may stop video recording or reset camera settings.
HD MODE - 1080P30 Priority with High definition. Changing video format may stop video recording or reset camera settings.
NORMAL - 720P30 allows less wireless transmission bandwidth while not changing video format in recording.

The "camera settings" refer to the AC camera (duh, there is only one camera). The modes refer to what one is viewing in the goggles. Viewing smooth or HD might affect the camera settings and what is recorded on the AC. NORMAL does not affect the camera settings or change what is being recorded on the AC. So, depending on other settings, one could record up to 4k on the AC and only be viewing 720P30 in the goggles.

HOWEVER, now when I only have the goggles on, instead of showing me that menu with KEEP CURRENT, as it did previously, it asks me to confirm that the AC is connected. So it seems like I had some help from DJI in being confused. I have no idea why that happened and I cannot repeat it now. Even disconnecting the battery does not reset it to the other menu. This was not the first time I have had everything connected, but I have seen that confirm screen before. So why did it change? No idea.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu