DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repair Invoice.......... REALLY?????

Just interjecting experience . Not a shot across any one's bow . I store my batteries at 42 percent . I have learned through experience that topping off can give false security and battery readings . The story behind my reasoning is long to tell but bottom line , after any storage time , I have found that discharging batteries (without flight) to fail safe levels , then charging them to 100% has yielded great results .
After storage and before flight , I will use the drone to discharge the remaining charge . I do this by installing the props ( for cooling ) . Power up the drone and monitor the unit while idling . Allow the unit to bleed off the remaining power . I know that this sounds tedious and ocd . It beats dealing with DJI .
After battery is cooled and ready for a charge , I charge it to the recommended 100% . After implementing this procedure , I have been very fortunate that the false readings have not re occured .
I cannot scientifically tell you why this works for me but it does .
I hope that this helps .
"Scientifically" speaking one cannot "prove" a negative. I.E., the fact that it did not happen, cannot prove that it won't happen. However, the longer it does not happen improves the probability of it not happening. Keep us informed.

I have a charger that will charge the batteries to 60% for storage purposes. It reduces the charge time to 100% when I am ready to fly. Any experience or thoughts on this process?

I have a couple questions about all this battery stuff.
1. by "auto discharge" are you talking about the smart battery function of discharging after a number of days of non-use?
2. by "not taking off without 100% charge" are you talking about initiating a flight or actually taking off? I often "take off" multiple times on a single battery during a contiguous flight time.

If 1 is "yes", then I guess 2 would be the former.

Also, the auto discharge function time was settable on my P3S batteries, but I have not seen the same thing on the M2 batteries. Is there a place to set it or is it fixed?

Multiple takeoffs on one battery should not cause problems. The auto-discharge function is fixed at 10 days.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here we are. Just received my bird back from DJI after the "repair" that was going to cost me 170 or so bucks. I was told that a "flight board" had to be replaced. Real funny thing is, the bird I received today isn't my old one. I'm sure it's a refurbish, but, it sure looks brand new. Either way, besides having to set it up, I'm pleased with the outcome. (I haven't had it up in the air yet). After coming to the conclusion that this was a battery issue, I'm still somewhat apprehensive about flying over water for ten or fifteen charge cycles, as the batteries are the same ones used that started this whole fiasco. Even being assured that these batteries have been checked and have been given a clean bill of health. Thanks again for all the input and help with this. Happy flying!!!!?

I believe permissible firmware mixtures concoct mysterious inter-relationships. There are four separate devices: battery, drone, rc, phone apk

The assumption and expectation that users install the latest fw and apk and asst2 is not always the case. many retain prior fw and soft versions for trusted worthiness and unique capabilities.

I just discovered my dormant batteries self discharged anyway regardless i pressed their button prior self discharge calendered. I also discovered the recharging tally was mistaken at thirtyeight, which means thirteen % battery longevity expended (300 cold charges).

Can you believe this!!!!!!! I got the refurbished bird back from DJI. Have flown it twice since receiving it. Short of the cooling fan sounding a little janky, flies great. So..... wait fo it! I'm out at the coast this morning, took it out, thankfully , over land, to get pictures of a house a friend is building. Started with 100% battery, yes, the batteries thaT DJI ASSURED ME WERE CHECKED AND OK'D!! well, 4 minutes and 54 seconds in, with 65% battery, BOOM! Critical low voltage warning!, Battery drops to 0%Punched RTH, nothing! As it's dropping, I drifted it back towards home. Landed in the bushes. Retrieved! OK, now I've marked THAT battery defective. Be careful with these batteries. I was mere moments from heading out over the ocean. I'm glad I didn't land this in the drink, like the first time this happened. I have attached flight log of this flight.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-07-03_[10-12-22].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
According to the flight log the flight commenced with the battery at 93% charge level.

The battery reports manufacturing date as March 18 and 100% life (this should be expected given the charge count is 1).

The problem here might be that the battery had entered auto discharge. It is well known that the auto discharge routine can bleed the cells unevenly (usually does). The result of flying with a pack that has commenced auto discharge is often pretty much exactly as you have experienced. Unbalanced cells result in one cell dropping to LVC at a greatly accelerated rate- a battery is only as good as its weakest cell.

This is certainly how it looks from the battery performance in flight- note the cell voltage deviation.

08962070-8BC7-4774-871B-38158251C78E.jpeg

Make sure you top off any packs that have been sitting around prior to flight and you wont have this problem.

Reactions: Shon
I pulled this battery off the charger about 45 minutes prior to flying. Auto discharge should not have commenced after being off the charger for that short a period of time. Am I wrong?

Thank you so much for your input. I'm now wondering what my protocol should be, so this doesn't occur in the future. I thought by charging the batteries for a couple hours prior to flying would be the right way of doing it.

Make sure you top off any packs that have been sitting around prior to flight and you wont have this problem.

I do read this often on this board, and it is leaving me perplexed...

Sometimes, as I am going to do in Iceland next week, I set up the trunk of my car as a “drone” ready area.

Meaning, I stop the car, open the trunk, take the MP2 already unfolded, go fly for a few minutes over something I saw from the road, land, go drive somewhere else, amd repeat the process.

In theses cases, it isn’t unusual for me to log quite a number of flights, since they are so short, anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes.

It isn’t practical to recharge a battery, just because I just flew 3 flights with a total flight time of 10 minutes.

I read from a few posters to always fly with a 100% battery but how am I supposed to do this in this case?

I pulled this battery off the charger about 45 minutes prior to flying. Auto discharge should not have commenced after being off the charger for that short a period of time. Am I wrong?
Your not wrong about your understanding of auto discharge commencement- you might not understand the peculiarities of charging though;

What is important is when the battery was last fully charged.

If the battery had entered auto discharge and you put it on the charger close to full it won't have topped off unless you connected the charge lead with the battery turned on.

Cell 2 was definitely reporting a lower voltage than the other two cells at launch with a total SOC of 93%. At 26 seconds after launch cell 2 was already in excess of 100mv out of balance (low). In a series connected battery a cell at lower voltage will collapse quickly as it is required to deliver a significantly higher current while at a lower state of charge than its neighbours. You will never realise close to the total battery capacity in these circumstances as you have seen from this flight.

Either the battery wasn't fully charged prior to the flight (likely) or the battery is faulty. Easy to confirm- charge properly and see what flight time you get flying close to home.

I do read this often on this board, and it is leaving me perplexed...

Sometimes, as I am going to do in Iceland next week, I set up the trunk of my car as a “drone” ready area.

Meaning, I stop the car, open the trunk, take the MP2 already unfolded, go fly for a few minutes over something I saw from the road, land, go drive somewhere else, amd repeat the process.

In theses cases, it isn’t unusual for me to log quite a number of flights, since they are so short, anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes.

It isn’t practical to recharge a battery, just because I just flew 3 flights with a total flight time of 10 minutes.

I read from a few posters to always fly with a 100% battery but how am I supposed to do this in this case?
Multiple flights on a battery within a short timeframe doesn't meet the definition of sitting around- at least not in the context of this discussion which is concerned with the auto discharge routine being initiated.

I will happily do several flights in a day on one pack without fear- you shouldn't expect it to be an issue.

Can you believe this!!!!!!! I got the refurbished bird back from DJI. Have flown it twice since receiving it. Short of the cooling fan sounding a little janky, flies great. So..... wait fo it! I'm out at the coast this morning, took it out, thankfully , over land, to get pictures of a house a friend is building. Started with 100% battery, yes, the batteries thaT DJI ASSURED ME WERE CHECKED AND OK'D!! well, 4 minutes and 54 seconds in, with 65% battery, BOOM! Critical low voltage warning!, Battery drops to 0%Punched RTH, nothing! As it's dropping, I drifted it back towards home. Landed in the bushes. Retrieved! OK, now I've marked THAT battery defective. Be careful with these batteries. I was mere moments from heading out over the ocean. I'm glad I didn't land this in the drink, like the first time this happened. I have attached flight log of this flight.
gotta affirm full 100% succeed on charger provided prerequisite to takeoff moment

Well, I dont know mutch, but if the same thing happened with two seperate batteries and Aircraft I would be looking real close at the controler.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d